Batman Begins

79 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Batman Begins

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Wow, 10 year anniversary was yesterday and didn't even realize it. Cannot believe it has been 10 years since this movie came into theaters. Stumbled across a good article about it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/06/15/batman-begins-perfected-the-reboot-and-saved-the-comic-book-movie-10-years-ago/

• Like 1

10 years?! My god I feel old.

I remember watching this after graduating university. My friends and I all loved it. It felt SO fresh and unique at the time.

It's one of those films I always seem to catch on TV now. It still feels fresh & zippy, it's perfectly paced. I think I ultimately prefer TDK for the scope/scale/ambition, IMAX shots, and of course for Heath - but BB is a much less clunky & more streamlined movie.

• Like 2

I've seen this movie many times over the years, and I remember not liking the third act. I didn't have a problem with it this time although it still feels a little rushed and the villains a little underdeveloped even if both Neeson and Murphy are really good in their roles. But I'm fine with at least one Batman movie that the villains don't overshadow the main character, and Bale is really good, the movie is all about him and he delivers. It's a really good origin story even if it doesn't look as radical today that it has became the blueprint for so many gritty reboots.

But I don't think it's anywhere close to The Dark Knight. It feels like Nolan got to play around in the sandbox the studio built for him the first time, and then went on to make the movie he always wanted to do with this material in the 2nd. He wasn't the only one. Burton and Batman, Raimi and Spider-man, Singer and X-Men It feels to me that they all made the exact movie they wanted the second time around.

”People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy.”

Batman Begins remains a winning introduction to Nolan’s take of the caped crusader. The tone allows for the mythic storytelling to fit well with Nolan and Goyer’s sometimes clunky screenplay. It’s a film that mostly works due to how revolutionary this new approach to superheroes in movies felt at the time, but the character work on Bruce is excellent. The cast is uniformly good, featuring Bale’s best performance as Wayne, with Neeson and Caine being the best parts of the supporting cast. The action is alright, but the story is really good, following a neat six-act structure for a blockbuster. The first half is notably better than the second, but it’s still a very solid superhero movie all around. Batman Begins took Christopher Nolan to the mainstream, reviving the Batman franchise with entertaining panache and a nice operatic bravado. Still a great movie. A-