Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

43 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You haven't seen the freak out in the Dune thread. 

And for no reason. Dune made a good profit for Warners; added to the prestige with it's oscar wins. and could be if, if Dune 2 makes money, a long term franchise given all the Dune novels our there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Unless you have a crystal ball then you cannot say it will fail. 

Cutting back doesn't mean going all in on unscripted. The way people go on you'd think WBD was going to axe anything scripted which isn't the case. 

I don’t need a crystal ball. It will fail. 

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

And for no reason. Dune made a good profit for Warners; added to the prestige with it's oscar wins. and could be if, if Dune 2 makes money, a long term franchise given all the Dune novels our there.

Plus Dune was successful in many markets. The suggestion Zaslav will can Part II is ridiculous at best and downright insane at worse.

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think they're aiming to replicate Disney's fewer, bigger, better strategy with the focus on having three divisions consisting of WB/New Line, DC and Warner Animation. 

Well, back in May Zaslav said he wants to remake Warner Bros to have a similar structure to Disney with separate entities with individual creative leaders for divisions like DC, New Line and Animation who all report up to a film boss overseeing the total output, but he also wants to increase its number of theatrical releases to between 20 & 25 a year.

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Unless you have a crystal ball then you cannot say it will fail. 

Dude is making a prediction, which we are allowed to do. And considering Warner has tried to copy the Disney business formula since the 90s to little success, it's not that farfetched to say IMO

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

After paying down debt, Zaslav is going to use Warner cash flow to expand Discovery’s content and either cut down Warner to the bare essentials or at the very least never expand beyond what it currently is.

Yeah, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Warner is what is seeing most of the change; only Casey is remaining while everyone from the old structure is gone even at regional levels. Is no coincidence this happens when Horn is getting back as consultant -and be certain he's been seeked to replicate what he did at Disney- and just when WBD announces investment in the UK exclusively dedicated to non-scripted content. Is pretty clear they're going for a less scripted-content strategy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

What’s actually hilarious is that Zaslav probably saw the ridiculous sum Warner gave Snyder to make his version of the movie and nearly busted an aneurysm.

It actually cost less than most seasons of a high profile TV show, and was the most watched HBO Max original on the first weekend. It was probably one of their most effective investments when you look at viewers per millions spent. Its numbers look small compared to the theatrical movies Warner released the same day, which overperformed on HBO Max and had similar numbers than Stranger Things season 4 according to Samba TV, but when you look at the numbers of all HBO Max originals the Snyder Cut was definitely their biggest one so far (and by far). It pulled similar numbers than the Marvel and Star Wars shows on Disney+, which cost way over $100 million a season. It was viewed by 3x the number of households Peacemaker averaged weekly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It actually cost less than most seasons of a high profile TV show, and was the most watched HBO Max original on the first weekend. It was probably one of their most effective investments when you look at viewers per millions spent. Its numbers look small compared to the theatrical movies Warner released the same day, which overperformed on HBO Max and had similar numbers than Stranger Things season 4 according to Samba TV, but when you look at the numbers of all HBO Max originals the Snyder Cut was definitely their biggest one so far (and by far). It pulled similar numbers than the Marvel and Star Wars shows on Disney+, which cost way over $100 million a season. It was viewed by 3x the number of households Peacemaker averaged weekly.

I think is quite clear Zaslav doesn't care any of that lol $70M for a movie is double of what they're willing to spend on Max Originals. He would care from a BO perspective and is not like he's shown any interest like he did for stuff like The Batman and Joker. I really don't want to go deeper with this so knocking off my thoughts on it.

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It cost 70m+ for 1 week of ok viewership lol. Those Disney marvel shows and Star Wars shows do 2x the viewership of ZSJL weekly for 6-8 weeks. The Batman almost doubled it after a full theatrical run. Peacemaker maintained viewership through its run and grew. ZSJL wasn’t heard from again after it’s first week. 

• Like 7

WBD is still going to spend on big ticket projects like the upcoming House of the Dragon as well as big tentpoles but I don't see what the issue with reining in spending. I suspect a lot of studios will be cutting back as it's not feasible to spending money on expensive content and not get a return. The Gray Man on Netflix cost $200m, that's just indulgence.

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WBD is still going to spend on big ticket projects like the upcoming House of the Dragon as well as big tentpoles but I don't see what the issue with reining in spending. I suspect a lot of studios will be cutting back as it's not feasible to spending money on expensive content and not get a return. The Gray Man on Netflix cost $200m, that's just indulgence.

And that a recession seems on it's way will just  add to the speed of cost cutting and retrenchment.

A lot of projects that would have been greenlighted a few years ago are not going to get greenlighted.

I agree that all the majors will start to cuts cost and retrench, even Disney.

I always thought a lot of the DC projects, though the fanboys loved them, were questionable from a General Audience point of view.

I think that is why Zaslev is getting the hate here. He is going to kill a lot of projects the fanboys love but few others do. End of stroy.

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

David Zaslav sounds like an out of touch prick who’s in over his head. 

Maybe, but if they get rid of him they will just bring in another cost cutting, penny pinching, Ass hole because that is what Warners needs if it going to survive the debt crisis it is in.

It it to survive, Warners has to cut costs and retench, and that is never pretty.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but if they get rid of him they will just bring in another cost cutting, penny pinching, Ass hole because that is what Warners needs if it going to survive the debt crisis it is in.

It it to survive, Warners has to cut costs and retench, and that is never pretty.

Zaslav had been at Discovery for sixteen years, that's the sign of a successful CEO IMO. Just proves a lot of posters on here know nothing about the wider entertainment industry if they resorting to name calling.