Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Also some filmmakers have earned the right to make a flop sometimes but still continue making films. I mean, Scorsese has tons of artistically valuable box office flops but then you get a Wolf of Wall Street once in a while too. 

Scorsese has difficulties getting films greenlit so it's not entirely true he gets a free pass. The Wolf of Wall Street had outside funding for example as no studio was willing to take a punt on it initially and Silence had a lot of funders as well. 

I know Zaslav is seen as public enemy number 1 but I don't see what was wrong with him questioning the WB execs about why they greenlit a film they had reservations about. 

• Like 1

I don't think WBD is breaking out the share of HBO Max or Discovery+ subs, this is worse than AT&T if true. 

Anyway still small growth 92.1m global subs up 1.7m for the quarter. 

source: https://ir.wbd.com/files/doc_financials/2022/q2/WBD-2Q22-Earnings-Release.pdf

edit: should mention here just like I did in the streaming thread:

Revenue $2.23B 

Domestic subs 53m down -0.3m from 53.3m in Q1

International subs 39.1m up 2m from 37.1m in Q1

Global ARPU for all subs is $7.66

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

He’ll burn WB to the ground with him. 

Yeah, the previous adminstrations that overspent and got Warners into this debt crisis had nothing to do with it.

I think Zaslev is making some dumb decisions, but blaming him alone for the mess Warners is in it, frankly, ignorant and stupid.

3 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

I give this guy 3 years before he is fired. But it's the damage he's gonna do in the meantime that is the scary part.

Warners might not be around in 3 years unless the Debt situation is brought under control. 

• Haha 1

WBD stock is down over 5% in after hours trading, Netflix, Disney and Paramount are all pretty flat so Wall Street sees this as WBD problem. The call is just starting now let's see if what they have to say impacts their stock one way or another. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Zaslav shouldn't even be in the same breath as Chapek. The latter didn't bin a movie that was already filmed. You don't see Disney slaughtering projects left and right like Discovery is right now.

Disney in not in a deep debt crisis the way that Warners is . That is what is driving everything going on at Warners.

If Warners is going to survive, they are going to have stop spending money the way they have.

That should be easy to understand.

39 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Scorsese has difficulties getting films greenlit so it's not entirely true he gets a free pass. The Wolf of Wall Street had outside funding for example as no studio was willing to take a punt on it initially and Silence had a lot of funders as well. 

I know Zaslav is seen as public enemy number 1 but I don't see what was wrong with him questioning the WB execs about why they greenlit a film they had reservations about. 

People just don't get that Warners is in a serous debt crisis and they are going to have stop spending money the way they have in the past.

And If Zaslev were to be fired tommorw. whoever replaced him would also have to make painful decisions about cutting spending.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, the previous adminstrations that overspent and got Warners into this debt crisis had nothing to do with it.

I think Zaslev is making some dumb decisions, but blaming him alone for the mess Warners is in it, frankly, ignorant and stupid.

I think some on here just have hate boners for Zaslav. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think some on here just have hate boners for Zaslav. 

He is cancelling projects that Fanboys love but have not caught on with the General Audience, and Warners can no longer afford .

I would love for them to tell us how they would handle a debt situation like Warners has where the longer you don't pay down the loans the worse it gets. The Interest alone could kill Warners.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Using his dumbass argument movies like Elvis, Top Gun Maverick, Crawdads wouldn't have been greenlit cause only old people like them and they don't count as customers cause reasons.

Elvis would have been greenlit because it's about one of the biggest singers of all time and directed by someone who gave WB a hit previously and TGM was a no brainer as the first film was a success.