Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

People just don't get that Warners is in a serous debt crisis and they are going to have stop spending money the way they have in the past.

And If Zaslev were to be fired tommorw. whoever replaced him would also have to make painful decisions about cutting spending.

You’ve said this multiple times…

Zaslav speaks

• even more room to cut costs 
  • they’ve repaid $6bil in debt so far
  • Starts listing brands. WB is historic bla-bla-bla
  • They’ll continue to distribute shows to other apps and channels (unlike Disney, which he implies)
  • Staying old fashioned - no strict streaming focus (like Disney)
  • Committing to theatrical
  • They’ve taken aggressive steps to stop direct to streaming films
  • they don’t want to depend on streaming
  • FREE AD SUPPORTED STREAMER IS COMING FOR CLASSIC CONTENT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

SOme reality shows are OK...I enjoy American Pickers on The History CHannel. But a lot of it is crap.

I'm a sucker for the Great British Baking Show...not sure that's techincally reality b/c they are so nice, but it is unscripted...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Zaslav speaks

• They’ll continue to distribute shows to other apps and channels (unlike Disney, which he implies)

The last point is interesting as the AVOD market is growing as people cut back on subscriptions. Pluto, Tubi and Amazon Freevee are just as important as their SVOD siblings,

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

How is Zaslav firing people because he needs to cut losses due to their massive debt any different than Netflix firing hundreds and cancelling shows/movies in the works cause their stock prices tanked? 

I'm not gonna defend him completely getting rid of Batgirl, that is a bad look and will hurt their chances with other top talent but if all he ends up doing is cutting underperforming shows and movies that were greenlit before he came on then i don't think its an issue

Zaslve is making some stupid decisions, but anybody in that position is going to have to make some drastic cuts in spending.

And shows that a few comic book nerds (and I am one myself to a degree) but the GA is not watching are a no brainer to cut.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm a sucker for the Great British Baking Show...not sure that's techincally reality b/c they are so nice, but it is unscripted...

Bake Off, along with the other million copies are technically competitions. But ya, relaxing... 

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Zaslve is making some stupid decisions, but anybody in that position is going to have to make some drastic cuts in spending.

And shows that a few comic book nerds (and I am one myself to a degree) but the GA is not watching are a no brainer to cut.

I don't get why Netflix gets a free pass for spending cuts which were inevitable due to their overspend on content but WBD gets raked through the coals. 

All CEOs make stupid decisions but it's wrong to say Zaslav doesn't know what he's doing, you don't get to be in charge of a company like Discovery for over a decade by being incompetent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Zaslav speaks

Free ad-supported streamer is good, but hopefully as part of an overall redesign of the consolidated streaming service and it being a hub inside rather than a separate thing (again, think Freevee content). 

And while I am 100% behind theatrical experience, I still don't really understand the hostility towards direct to streaming to this level. There's plenty of small budget stuff that can thrive as direct to streaming. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Zaslav speaks

So basically - they can’t compete with Netflix/Amazon/Disney 

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I was just gonna say this - great minds think alike!

I've been following the AVOD market for a few years and I think while some of the content isn't great, for many it will be acceptable because it's either free or low cost and there is opportunity for companies to provide content that isn't premium or cost a bomb.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't get why Netflix gets a free pass for spending cuts which were inevitable due to their overspend on content but WBD gets raked through the coals. 

All CEOs make stupid decisions but it's wrong to say Zaslav doesn't know what he's doing, you don't get to be in charge of a company like Discovery for over a decade by being incompetent. 

Who said Netflix get a free pass?

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Netflix isn’t canning ready made products and removing already released content for a tax write off. And Netflix isn’t cutting spending. They’re just not continuing to grow beyond what they’ve already got. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

So basically - they can’t compete with Netflix/Amazon/Disney 

Netflix is launching an ad supported service as is Disney+, that suggests they know the SVOD bubble is not going to last forever.

• Like 1