Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

I’m just amazed that Zaslav apparently had enough hubris to think there was a chance that Kevin Feige would actually say yes. The man is the President of Marvel Studios. Why in God’s name would he throw that away just to work for the guy responsible for Honey Boo Boo? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m just amazed that Zaslav apparently had enough hubris to think there was a chance that Kevin Feige would actually say yes. The man is the President of Marvel Studios. Why in God’s name would he throw that away just to work for the guy responsible for Honey Boo Boo? 

The thing is, we don't even know how formal the ask was.  Was just a feeler or two sent out?  Someone sending an intermediary asking if there was any interest at all.  Or even a "Hey, if this became available would you have any interest at all?  Any thing at all that could possibly interest you? "

This reminds me of the whole dialogue around Steven Spielberg being "asked" to direct the upcoming Fantastic Four film.   When we hear "asked" we imagine phone calls/text messages with back and forths and maybe agents present when it could have just been casual conversation over cocktails.

Is it hubris?  I suppose.  But one never ever knows.  Maybe Feige is super pissed at Chapek and had been good at hiding it from the press/gossip rags.  Maybe there was some sort of financial or power inducement could have been worked out.  It'd be a 0.0001 percent chance, but what's the downside of asking?  That random people online make jokes at your expense?  WHO CARES?

What's the probable upside?  Well at worst, you let a very powerful Mover and Shaker know that they are thought of very highly, and in the soft power currency of Hollywood, that's always valuable.  Maybe Kevin puts in good words to friends about the situation over at DC.  Maybe he feels flattered by the ask and while he won't even entertain the notion he remembers it in the future.  Hell, if Chapek and Feige have historic falling out (not gonna happen, but strange things happen in Hollywood), always nice to know you have friends/connections elsewhere.

So what's the downside for putting out feelers?  None that I can see.  And even if the upside at best is Kevin Feige perhaps feeling flattered by the attention?  Well, why not?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The thing is, we don't even know how formal the ask was.  Was just a feeler or two sent out?  Someone sending an intermediary asking if there was any interest at all.  Or even a "Hey, if this became available would you have any interest at all?  Any thing at all that could possibly interest you? "

This reminds me of the whole dialogue around Steven Spielberg being "asked" to direct the upcoming Fantastic Four film.   When we hear "asked" we imagine phone calls/text messages with back and forths and maybe agents present when it could have just been casual conversation over cocktails.

Is it hubris?  I suppose.  But one never ever knows.  Maybe Feige is super pissed at Chapek and had been good at hiding it from the press/gossip rags.  Maybe there was some sort of financial or power inducement could have been worked out.  It'd be a 0.0001 percent chance, but what's the downside of asking?  That random people online make jokes at your expense?  WHO CARES?

What's the probable upside?  Well at worst, you let a very powerful Mover and Shaker know that they are thought of very highly, and in the soft power currency of Hollywood, that's always valuable.  Maybe Kevin puts in good words to friends about the situation over at DC.  Maybe he feels flattered by the ask and while he won't even entertain the notion he remembers it in the future.  Hell, if Chapek and Feige have historic falling out (not gonna happen, but strange things happen in Hollywood), always nice to know you have friends/connections elsewhere.

So what's the downside for putting out feelers?  None that I can see.  And even if the upside at best is Kevin Feige perhaps feeling flattered by the attention?  Well, why not?

Lol, way to much common sense here for the internet my man. 

I’m not one to defend Zaslav but even if he just called up Feige and asked him, so what? What’s the worst thing Feige says? No? So who cares honestly? Cause with the moves we’ve seen Zaslav do so far in his short time at the top we know he doesn’t give a shit what the general public thinks about him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

There were rumors a while back that Feige was considering walking when Ike Perlmutter was still in charge, right?  Just as Porthos explained above.  Nothing is ever permanent on principle, and why not have good will olive branches out there rather than needless negative buzz?  All the people working at the top know that, and of course they all want the business to be successful, no matter which studio or brand you work for.  There may come a day when Feige is induced to walk away from the MCU.  And when he does...whoever hires him will surely benefit.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Macleod said:

There were rumors a while back that Feige was considering walking when Ike Perlmutter was still in charge, right?  Just as Porthos explained above.  Nothing is ever permanent on principle, and why not have good will olive branches out there rather than needless negative buzz?  All the people working at the top know that, and of course they all want the business to be successful, no matter which studio or brand you work for.  There may come a day when Feige is induced to walk away from the MCU.  And when he does...whoever hires him will surely benefit.  

The thing is, Zaslav seems to have a lot in common with Ike Perlmutter. 

On 10/29/2022 at 2:14 PM, Cappoedameron said:

A 3 year old could have told Zaslav this was not gonna work, what an absolute clown.

A. No way would Feige work for a control freak like Zaslev

B. Whatever offer Zasvle would have made as far as money goes, Disney would have made a better one.

C. If Feig ever does leave Marvel, it would not be to turn another CBM studio. He might be tempeted as Head of Production for a huge studio, but even that is not certain. And I suspect he might be in line for an even higher position at Disney if he ever does leave Marvel.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, Macleod said:

Maybe, but it would not be for Zaslev.

7 hours ago, AJG said:

I saw some posts from Those People and they were getting mad at Cavill for working doing Superman without him...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....................

This is what I have to say to "them": 

modern family gif lsat GIF

Can we resign these folks to the same corner as the "Men's Rights Activists" who protested against MAD MAX FURY ROAD?  I'm done with caring about them, and so is Warner Bros., I'm pretty sure.  They're moving on.  (And I'm pretty sure Cavill is happy to move on without Snyder, too, if you listen to him closely.)

Edited by Macleod

26 minutes ago, AJG said:

What Went Wrong Thread soon?

@Potiki says they only added 2.3m subs this quarter. The included during some episodes of HOTD. This also included HBO and Discovery+

It's a little higher at 2.8m but yeah still a miss also only 500k US additions which seems very very low.

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

It's a little higher at 2.8m but yeah still a miss also only 500k US additions which seems very very low.

When people are watching their budgets more carefully , that five bucks a month more then the other streaming serviced is going to hurt HBO/Max.