Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

That's interesting. I wonder when we'll learn more about these projects. SDCC 2023 perhaps?

Ya, honestly I have no idea cause Gunn is still finishing volume 3 for marvel, so maybe sdcc, that gives them time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

More specific quotes and details here.  Developing an 8-10 year plan across all mediums for one big story. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-movies-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235259792/

"Across all mediums"

I LOVE to hear that. That's where Marvel Studios is lacking. It doesn't just have to be the Marvel CINEMATIC Universe! Imagine this universe but with canon comics, novels and games as well. Lucasfilm has done this with Star Wars and it really enriches the world(s), at least for those willing to immerse themselves in all of it.

For instance, imagine if there were adult level novels with more mature stories and themes that lend themselves well to the medium, like a Jason Bourne type book centered on Black Widow or Captain America.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a fan war here. This is about DC and I just think it's a great idea to focus on building your Universe through multiple different mediums. It lets people experience the world in different ways between cinematic releases.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Does there really need to be a plan? Just make movies. 

I would say so. A plan makes the audience feel like they're on one big adventure watching all these films. Like they're taking in one big story. That's why even though DC has made some enjoyable movies lately, I'm still not that invested. If WB wants audiences showing up to every DC movie (every chapter of the overall story) then they need to have a plan. Otherwise people will just pick and choose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

I would say so. A plan makes the audience feel like they're on one big adventure watching all these films. Like they're taking in one big story. That's why even though DC has made some enjoyable movies lately, I'm still not that invested. If WB wants audiences showing up to every DC movie (every chapter of the overall story) then they need to have a plan. Otherwise people will just pick and choose.

Can’t help but feel like it’s too late at this point. How much more fuel does the superhero genre still have?

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Seems to me that DC has been attempting that for around Ten years now.....

I am skeptical about the "all mediums" part. If you have to buy a comic book to follow a storyline in the movie, you will lose the General Audeince.

I don't think you'll "have to". It's just extra content to provide a little more depth to the universe and the story for those inclined. Lucasfilm does the same thing with all their comics, books and video games. They're all canon in the Star Wars universe but references to it in the films is minimal so it's not required consuming either.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Seems to me that DC has been attempting that for around Ten years now.....

I am skeptical about the "all mediums" part. If you have to buy a comic book to follow a storyline in the movie, you will lose the General Audeince.

More like 14 years. This Wall Street Journal article is from August 2008:

With "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League" stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel's model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. "Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own," Mr. Robinov says.

(...)

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110412021517/http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121936107614461929.html

Insane how unstable has been the management of this franchise, WB is always changing their minds about how to do it. 

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

They started to but then they abandoned it after getting off to a rocky start. Personally, I think they made a mistake by rushing it.

I agree. Turning MOS 2 into BvS was a big mistake.

They has a misfire in starting the DCU with what happened with "Green Lantern" and when MOS, although it did well at the box office, did not do the Dark Knight level box office they were expecting, they panicked.

And they bad a poor choice in who they chose to run the DC Universe with Snyder.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Can’t help but feel like it’s too late at this point. How much more fuel does the superhero genre still have?

The genre is creatively bankrupt. Just feels like they're using AI to generate their scripts at this point.

• ...wtf 1

I think all that really needs to be done is to make sure the stories are good, and if they ever want to connect any of them, make sure that the worlds can be connected. You don't need to have winks and nods and references all the time in each movie/show/etc, but it would be important to make sure people know these are all connected.

• Like 1