Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Profit levels down 90% for the whole industry due to the arrival of streaming into the field.

Streaming is a bit of a profit suck but I feel people are missing the fact the Pay TV collapse happened and 2013/2014 was pretty much peak cable 100m+ subs, even in 2018/2019 before Disney+, HBO Max, Paramount+ and Peacock launched Pay TV  was already down to 85-90m subs and in an accelerating decline. 

On top of that advertising was relatively stronger in 2013 than late 2022 into this year, Box Office was bigger in 2013 than it is now, theme parks were closed in some places last year and limited capacity in others last year (although they were still probably the bright spot in terms of profit they still could have been bigger), largely worse foreign exchange rates with a strong USD and COVID added to cost of producing film and TV over the last few years. Just a bunch of bad shit to deal with not all of which is related to streaming. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:12 PM, Reddroast said:

BB aquaman 2 and you can make a case that wonka and the color purple could cannibalize each other DOM wise. ( I have a feeling that Womka will play well in Europe)

Everyone and their momma is expecting Blue Beetle to bomb, but wouldn’t it be a sight to behold if it did the opposite! Love an underdog story and this film has so many rooting against it that I’m hoping it is huge undeniable success 

• Like 1

I honestly don't think WB's lineup for the rest of the year is bad, blue beetle is the one I'm most skeptical about (likely bomb), aquaman2 will decline and probably pretty heavily but probably not to the point of unprofitability, but overall there's plenty to be optimistic about imo starting with the obvious which is that barbie is clearly exploding and will make a lot of profit

Edited by JustLurking

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I honestly don't think WB's lineup for the rest of the year is bad, blue beetle is the one I'm most skeptical about (likely bomb), aquaman2 will decline and probably pretty heavily but probably not to the point of unprofitability, but overall there's plenty to be optimistic about imo starting with the obvious which is that barbie is clearly exploding and will make a lot of profit

Barbie, Dune and Wonka will probably work but Aquaman should absolutely be punted to a different slot in favor of Dune or Wonka. Absolutely no one cares about that version of the DCEU anymore.

How many Roald Dahl movies were box office hits?  I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the only one.  

Based on History Wonka will be an acclaimed flop that prospers on home media.

Really need to stop making comps too pre cover films, the over performers 2021 onward are obvious extreme outliers. If Aquabro 2 does $700m, thats is a very solid gross in 2023. Need to go back to 2010 standards :( 

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder if Toby Emmerich is kicking himself for having said no to Christopher McQuarrie’s pitch for a Man of Steel sequel. 

Timing would have been rough here, too. Everything DCEU feels old. AquaBro might just be unique enough to be fine. But Batfleck, Wonder Woman, and even Cavill all just feel stale. 

They would have needed McQuarrie's film for Christmas 2021 at the latest. 

I see tthat zaslev is doing stuff that is just plain immoral and wrong..like trying to supress articles that are not favoravle to him....does not matter to some fanboys.

To use an expression about a prominent ex US Presidnet. Zaslev could shoot somebody in broad daylight on Fifth Avenue, and some idiot fanboys would still cheer him on.

I thin this is sick, and  is example of why I have such a low opinion of fandom as it exist today.

That somebody like Zaslev has fans who think he is some kind of movie God is really disturbing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

So on a different note…when do you think the next Blue Beetle trailer will drop, considering that the movie comes out in six weeks? Aquaman 2 and Wonka still needs trailers as well.

It will post when the film goes to HBO Max.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 2

15 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder if Toby Emmerich is kicking himself for having said no to Christopher McQuarrie ’s pitch for a Man of Steel sequel. 

I think there's a strong chance that if WB made all the DC films they turned down or cancelled over the last 10 years over the films they made the brand would be in a better place.

McQuarrie Superman? Flanagan  Clayface? Gareth Evans Deathstroke?

Sign me up.

I'm just looking back on The Flash, Daley and Goldsmith were hired in January of 2018 with an intial release date of 2020. Had they stuck with the timeline, they probably could have had filming start in March of 2019 and released it in like January or February of 2020, before Covid.

Unfortunately, Ezra's oh-so memorable role of Credence Barebone in the box office juggernaut franchise that is Fantastic Beasts conflicted with the filming. So, rather than recast Ezra in FB or preferably in the Flash, it was imperative to have him in both movies. So they kept Ezra in both of them and moved the movie back to 2021.

Then Ezra decides to go AWOL and starting pitching his own script causing Daley and Goldstein to walk away from the project and delay the project once again./

Had they just recast Ezra in October of 2018 in either Fantastic Beasts or the Flash, they could have had the movie out before Covid, before Superhero fatigue, before the likes of WW84 and Black Adam, soured the market on DC movies in particular, for much much cheaper (Daley and Goldstein's script was much simpler than what the Flash eventually became), and, most importantly, turned a profit.

If the Daley and Goldstein Flash cost 120-150 million, even if it released to the same mixed reception that the 2023 Flash released to, it could have done like 500-600 million worldwide in the 2020 market. 

• Like 4

On 7/8/2023 at 2:03 AM, Dominic Draper said:

I think there's a strong chance that if WB made all the DC films they turned down or cancelled over the last 10 years over the films they made the brand would be in a better place.

McQuarrie Superman? Flanagan  Clayface? Gareth Evans Deathstroke?

Sign me up.

Might have been better films then what we got, but the Clayface and Deathstroke smell to me too much of films that the hardcore C fans would love but the GA would not care about unless they were really  marketed well, and DC has shown an inabilty to sell lesser  known charecters the way that Marvel was able to do.

On 7/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, TestPattern said:

I'm just looking back on The Flash, Daley and Goldsmith were hired in January of 2018 with an intial release date of 2020. Had they stuck with the timeline, they probably could have had filming start in March of 2019 and released it in like January or February of 2020, before Covid.

Unfortunately, Ezra's oh-so memorable role of Credence Barebone in the box office juggernaut franchise that is Fantastic Beasts conflicted with the filming. So, rather than recast Ezra in FB or preferably in the Flash, it was imperative to have him in both movies. So they kept Ezra in both of them and moved the movie back to 2021.

Then Ezra decides to go AWOL and starting pitching his own script causing Daley and Goldstein to walk away from the project and delay the project once again./

Had they just recast Ezra in October of 2018 in either Fantastic Beasts or the Flash, they could have had the movie out before Covid, before Superhero fatigue, before the likes of WW84 and Black Adam, soured the market on DC movies in particular, for much much cheaper (Daley and Goldstein's script was much simpler than what the Flash eventually became), and, most importantly, turned a profit.

If the Daley and Goldstein Flash cost 120-150 million, even if it released to the same mixed reception that the 2023 Flash released to, it could have done like 500-600 million worldwide in the 2020 market. 

Miller trying to shove his won script down DC;'s thorat should have told them his ego was out of control, and they might want to think about a replacement.

• Like 1

WBs decision to give TALENT the reigns to creatively take on known brands with BARBIE, DUNE, and WONKA looks like it is going to pay off in enormous spades. 

WB must move quickly with BARBIE 2 and WONKA 2 just like they did with DUNE 2. None of this "wait 5 years" shit like with Aquabro and Joker. THE BATMAN 2 is coming out inexcusably late as well. 

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB must move quickly with BARBIE 2 and WONKA 2 just like they did with DUNE 2. None of this "wait 5 years" shit like with Aquabro and Joker. THE BATMAN 2 is coming out inexcusably late as well. 

TDK came out 3 years after Batman Begins, same amount of time between The Batman and The Batman Part 2. Ridiculous statement lmfao

• Like 2