Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

So how did it lose that much, lol. The numbers aren't numbering.

200m production +120m advertising = 320m in costs. Box office revenue was around 120m. So it lost around $200m before counting in ancillaries like streaming, rentals, PVOD.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In what way was Harry Potter underutilized?

He's probably just looking at what Disney is doing with Marvel and Star Wars and asking why there haven't been spinoffs and tv shows of like each character in HP/LOTR. I guess if you look at it like that, he's right. You could technically be expanding on each of those properties, but they haven't really.

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

He's probably just looking at what Disney is doing with Marvel and Star Wars and asking why there haven't been spinoffs and tv shows of like each character in HP/LOTR. I guess if you look at it like that, he's right. You could technically be expanding on each of those properties, but they haven't really.

Well, there is a reason for that; WB doesn’t have full ownership of Harry Potter or LotR. The licensing agreement with Tolkien’s estate means that works like The Silmarillion are off-limits, and WB tried to get a Cursed Child adaptation made, but JK Rowling said no. 

Anyway, the fact that Zaslav is so desperate to turn WB into a dollar store version of Disney is especially lame, because Disney isn’t even doing great right now. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Zaslov's quote is explicitly pretending Harry Potter is separate from "The Wizarding World." This is either revisionist history or spin from Zaslov. It's self-evident that Fantastic Beasts 2-5 are basically a working of Rowling's half-formed plans for a HP prequel series focused on Dumbledore. "HP prequel series + big tentpole video game" is a pretty significant use of the franchise and they'd be pretty well set up to explore further 1920s-1940s Wizarding World spinoffs. 

FB2 just bombing which caused WB to short circuit that plan and force FB3 to be save and serve as a possible franchise ender. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Which might be just as well as far as LOTR goes. I just don't think it lends isefl well to spinoffs...as Rings of Power showed.

Note to Warners: a novel with the stature of LOTR is NOT the same as a comic book franchise and you can't treat it the same.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, there is a reason for that; WB doesn’t have full ownership of Harry Potter or LotR. The licensing agreement with Tolkien’s estate means that works like The Silmarillion are off-limits, and WB tried to get a Cursed Child adaptation made, but JK Rowling said no. 

Anyway, the fact that Zaslav is so desperate to turn WB into a dollar store version of Disney is especially lame, because Disney isn’t even doing great right now. 

The SIm being off limits is one of the things that hurt Rings of Power; The SIm and not the LOTR appencides is where Tolkien really goes into detail on the Fall of Numenor and the crap they came up with to replace the Sim material was vastly inferior to what was in the Sim.

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is cool and I’d be salivating for sets of Gotham, Metropolis and Hall of Justice being akin to the Harry Potter sets but it’s fucking odd the studio can afford an expansion that’ll likely be tens of millions yet unable to pay their fucking actors and writers especially under the argument they can’t afford it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, YM! said:

This is cool and I’d be salivating for sets of Gotham, Metropolis and Hall of Justice being akin to the Harry Potter sets but it’s fucking odd the studio can afford an expansion that’ll likely be tens of millions yet unable to pay their fucking actors and writers especially under the argument they can’t afford it.

They were always able to pay them, they just chose not to.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, YM! said:

It's show business, not show charity.