Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Link/Source?

You dont need a link.

Legendary to decide on move within 60 days

In recent weeks press reports have speculated that Tull, who is understood to want greater control of films, will land at Universal. Tull refused to be drawn on the subject and said only that he was in talks with the US majors.

Do they get all LP movies? Except DC.

That's what I wonder as well, when Dreamworks split from Paramount, Paramount got to keep the rights to Dreamworks films like Anchorman, Transformers and Meet the Parents so it'll be interesting if PR, Godzilla etc go with Legendary or stay at WB.

That's what I wonder as well, when Dreamworks split from Paramount, Paramount got to keep the rights to Dreamworks films like Anchorman, Transformers and Meet the Parents so it'll be interesting if PR, Godzilla etc go with Legendary or stay at WB.

Would be great for Universal if they got them all.

Legendary has the ability to cherry pick from Warner Bros.’ best movies — which stands in stark contrast to other co-financing arrangements in Hollywood where passive financiers typically invest in all or almost all of the titles on the studio’s slate without question. Sony and Universal allowed their investors to have a say in the films they chose, but the studios’ four slate deals have been mildly successful to disastrous. While a fanboy, Tull doesn’t say yes to any project offered him: He passed on “Green Lantern,” for example, which wound up being a prescient move.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/legendary-warner-bros-likely-to-split-exclusive-1200472600/

So they can choose? How many of the LP/WB movies?

Del Toro likes LP/WB, if LP goes to UNI were will he go. WB gave him the chance for PAC RIM, but has also worked with LP. Also with UNI can get AtMoM going and LP can do his Frankenstein at UNI.

Even Godzilla and PR ? Then what LGD got ?

Godzilla Legendary can take with them. Godzilla is licensed by Legendary Pictures from the owner. Even though Legendary brought Godzilla to Warner Bros. to be made, the licensing agreement is between the owner of Godzilla and Legendary Pictures. However, that is only for the franchise rights to make future pictures because WB is already making the Godzilla movie for release in 2014.

Edit: This is for after the current deal with WB expires. What LGD has is the money to co-finance movies. They will just take their money to another studio. WB won't lose franchises (except for Godzilla), but what they will lose is the money to help them take risks on other movies.

Also, Nolan is good friends with Legendary Pictures allegedly. So Nolan may decided to direct movies for another studio instead of WB.

Edited by Walt Disney

How do you know this? Just your thoughts?

Because Warner Bros. paid to make those movies. Therefore, if they act like all other big studios, they keep ownership to the films and characters from their movies. It is very rare that Warner Bros. wouldn't own those rights.

A good example is how LucasFilm kept ownership of the Star wars film rights and made all of the sequels after A New Hope by themselves. Fox has no ownership in those. That would be the exception.

However, Paramount owns the film right to the Indiana Jones franchise. So Disney can't make an Indiana Jones movie without Paramount. This is the normal way that the big studios operate.

Because Warner Bros. paid to make those movies. Therefore, if they act like all other big studios, they keep ownership to the films and characters from their movies. It is very rare that Warner Bros. wouldn't own those rights.

A good example is how LucasFilm kept ownership of the Star wars film rights and made all of the sequels after A New Hope by themselves. Fox has no ownership in those. That would be the exception.

However, Paramount owns the film right to the Indiana Jones franchise. So Disney can't make an Indiana Jones movie without Paramount. This is the normal way that the big studios operate.

Exception, theres always one of those. Did you read the article I provided? But do you have proof? So DIS can make IJ movies? But wouldn't be allowed to distribute them, which I know DIS wouldn't want to do. If DIS want the rights they can pay PAR like they did with MARVEL in the future.

Exception, theres always one of those. Did you read the article I provided? But do you have proof? So DIS can make IJ movies? But wouldn't be allowed to distribute them, which I know DIS wouldn't want to do. If DIS want the rights they can pay PAR like they did with MARVEL in the future.

I imagine Disney aren't interested in Indiana Jones as its more reliant on one actor and I think unless they reboot it, its not likely there will be another film and its more of Spielberg and Lucas' baby rather than solely Lucas' idea.

I'm just telling you how it usually works. And I showed you an exception, so you know that there could be exceptions.

I don't want to side-track this too much, but Disney wouldn't want to pay Paramount to go away. They did it with TA and IM3 because they didn't like the way Paramount handled IM2, Thor, and CA:TFA. Disney wanted to distribute those themselves, but they couldn't. Disney paid Paramount 10% on TA and 13% on IM3 to do nothing. They would never do that with IJ because it isn't a good business decision.

Disney would want to distribute IJ themselves. They don't want another studio to distribute their movies. They would have to buy Paramount out of the distribution rights.

My original point (to go back on topic) was that Paramount owns the film distribution rights to IJ and that's typically how big studios operate. They don't make movies unless they own the rights to distribute future installments. Warner Bros. likely made a similar deal with Legendary, which is why they were able to ask Legendary to take a smaller percentage of the profits.....which is what angered Legendary in the first place.

My original point (to go back on topic) was that Paramount owns the film distribution rights to IJ and that's typically how big studios operate. They don't make movies unless they own the rights to distribute future installments. Warner Bros. likely made a similar deal with Legendary, which is why they were able to ask Legendary to take a smaller percentage of the profits.....which is what angered Legendary in the first place.

I imagine WB will rely on Village Roadshow or find another producer/financier should they split from Legendary, Legendary have helped produce some hits for them and I think any studio where it is Universal, Sony etc will gladly take them on
  • Like 1

I imagine WB will rely on Village Roadshow or find another producer/financier should they split from Legendary, Legendary have helped produce some hits for them and I think any studio where it is Universal, Sony etc will gladly take them on

Agreed. I don't think this hurts WB, unless certain directors decide to make movies for other studios instead of WB. RedFireBird already posted that Alan Horn was trying to recruit Nolan to make movies for Disney. WB never should have let Alan Horn go.

Del Toro likes LP/WB, if LP goes to UNI were will he go. WB gave him the chance for PAC RIM, but has also worked with LP. Also with UNI can get AtMoM going and LP can do his Frankenstein at UNI.

Legendary supposedly put up 75% of the production costs for Pacific Rim. It's not like WB took a big risk.