Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Agreed. I don't think this hurts WB, unless certain directors decide to make movies for other studios instead of WB. RedFireBird already posted that Alan Horn was trying to recruit Nolan to make movies for Disney. WB never should have let Alan Horn go.

I doubt Nolan would go to Disney unless they resurrect Touchstone as a producing studio rather than just a distributor, they have worked with Nolan when did The Prestige. I think he'll stick with WB but I would not be surprised if he does the odd film at another studio. I imagine the DC films if Legendary splits will be solely by WB although I imagine Syncopy will continue to have be a producer on MoS 2

At this point, I actually hope Legendary goes to Universal. That would be a great fit and Legendary can launch some franchises for them so they have more than Fast and DM.

They still have Bourne.

I'm just telling you how it usually works. And I showed you an exception, so you know that there could be exceptions.

I don't want to side-track this too much, but Disney wouldn't want to pay Paramount to go away. They did it with TA and IM3 because they didn't like the way Paramount handled IM2, Thor, and CA:TFA. Disney wanted to distribute those themselves, but they couldn't. Disney paid Paramount 10% on TA and 13% on IM3 to do nothing. They would never do that with IJ because it isn't a good business decision.

Disney would want to distribute IJ themselves. They don't want another studio to distribute their movies. They would have to buy Paramount out of the distribution rights.

My original point (to go back on topic) was that Paramount owns the film distribution rights to IJ and that's typically how big studios operate. They don't make movies unless they own the rights to distribute future installments. Warner Bros. likely made a similar deal with Legendary, which is why they were able to ask Legendary to take a smaller percentage of the profits.....which is what angered Legendary in the first place.

Usually, being keyword. I said they would have to buy PAR out, same as you said, so what is the difference?

Robinov is out.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/yet-another-warner-bros-shake-up-jeff-robinov-quitting-movie-studio-after-no-new-contract-offered-and-kevin-tsujiharas-war-of-silence-sue-kroll-dan-fellman-greg-silverman-may-lead-as-triumvira/

The destabilization of once rock-solid Warner Bros continues. I’ve learned that Jeff Robinov has decided to leave as Warner Brothers Pictures Group President after months of waiting in vain for Time Warner Jeff Bewkes and Warner Bros Chairman Kevin Tsujihara to offer him a new contract when his expires in December. Robinov this week enlisted both his attorney Skip Brittenham and his friend and former Warner Bros chairman Bob Daly to negotiate his exit. Robinov’s frustration follows Bewkes and Tsujihara placing him inside the ‘cone of silence’ in recent weeks ever since the home entertainment chief was appointed as the new Warner Bros CEO and soon to be chairman. No phone calls of congratulations came from Bewkes or Tsujihara to Robinov after last weekend’s record-setting global successful opening of Man Of Steel (or any of the studio’s Summer 2013 big worldwide releases, The Great Gatsby and The Hangover Part III). Witnesses tell me that on a recent LA to NY plane trip to the Superman premiere, Tsujihara sat for the five hours not saying a word to Robinov who was sitting opposite him. This cruel behavior was in full view of not only Robinov’s execs but also of filmmakers like Christopher Nolan whom Robinov had brought to the studio. I’m told that at the Red Carpet gala at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall, which should have been his triumph, Robinov left after just 15 minutes. This, after he and Tsujihara used to be close friends who went on family vacations together. “I’m constantly being marginalized. My job is shrinking day-to-day,” Robinov confided to a pal the other day. “Kevin is starting to push me out by both the things he’s doing and the responsibilities he’s assuming. It’ll end up with everyone reporting to him. The result is that people at the studio are wondering how they can benefit from this or how they can not get hurt by this. Sitting around is not something I can do, or, by the end of the year, the studio will be in a massive mess.”

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

Interesting news that Jeff Robinov has quit WB, he clearly must have not been liked at the studio for them not to offer him a new contract. Wonder if this will play a part in whether Legendary stays with WB or go elsewhere,

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

Poor Pacific Rim is just lost in the shuffle. No promotion whatsoever.  Just some tv spots and trailer before the movie. WB is dropping the ball on this one.

It sounds like the situation with Rise of the Guardians which was Paramounts last film with DWA which didn't get the same level of promotion as Madagascar 3, had they promoted it more, it would have been bigger.

It sounds like the situation with Rise of the Guardians which was Paramounts last film with DWA which didn't get the same level of promotion as Madagascar 3, had they promoted it more, it would have been bigger.

Such a shame.