A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

I don't like him. But you can count him in. He is still a huge star. His recent movie is so bad though. 

Some original movie did so well tho. And young director is doing better than the old one. Lost in Thailand, Goodbye Mr. Loser, Breakup Buddies, Detective Chinatown,... It depends much on the plot after all. 

The one you refer to isn't an actor, so bad acting as expected.

Despite fantasy genre is being popular in film / drama adaptation, Chinese CGI is still so poor. Chinese fantasy drama always has bad CGI. I can't think of the good one. 

I'm familiar with the CGI of Chinese dramas. There's one that's airing now - Ice Fantasy.. huge budget but the CGI is so bad. I can understand the poor quality in dramas though because there are tons of episodes but it's inexcusable in movies. The one for Time Raiders makes League of Gods look like cutting-edge CGI.

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

I'm familiar with the CGI of Chinese dramas. There's one that's airing now - Ice Fantasy.. huge budget but the CGI is so bad. I can understand the poor quality in dramas though because there are tons of episodes but it's inexcusable in movies. The one for Time Raiders makes League of Gods look like cutting-edge CGI.

When it comes to Chinese drama/movie, CGI isn't a big deal for me. I think I used to it, bad as always. So I don't mind it at all.

I gave up Ice Fantasy after 4 eps. The CGI didn't bother me at all but the plot. It's becoming crazy. I think "The Legend of Chusen" and "Tribes and Empires" have pretty good CGI. It's not on hollywood level but at least it doesn't bother my eyes. To be honest, no one can beat "Nirvana in Fire" to be the best drama on earth. 

Edited by Lihongkim

23 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Some original movie did so well tho. And young director is doing better than the old one. Lost in Thailand, Goodbye Mr. Loser, Breakup Buddies, Detective Chinatown,... It depends much on the plot after all. 

The one you refer to isn't an actor, so bad acting as expected.

It depends on plot, genre and directors, though I think it depends on plot the most.

i don't want to argue with fans but all the idol actors are pretty bad, with varying degrees of badness... The one in time raiders is comparably ok... But a lot of the younger generation actors started out as idols with no acting experience/training like the other main in that movie.

56 minutes ago, applek said:

It depends on plot, genre and directors, though I think it depends on plot the most.

i don't want to argue with fans but all the idol actors are pretty bad, with varying degrees of badness... The one in time raiders is comparably ok... But a lot of the younger generation actors started out as idols with no acting experience/training like the other main in that movie.

The most terrible thing is to see Korea K-pop idol who can't speak Chinese to be the main lead in C-drama/movie. Terrible...! 

SLOP may hold flat today. Haven't seen that in a while. A good sign going into the weekend.  It should hold on to 60% of its shows and get more back quickly if one the new releases fades hard.

On Monday, August 01, 2016 at 5:39 PM, keysersoze123 said:

30m for pets wont be great considering competition ahead. Can it at least gross 200m?

300m+. Could be higher. SA opened mid 30s and held flat or better for a few weekdays. It had a weekend without much competition then JW opened but held well after the initial hit and went on to clear 620m/ $100m

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

SLOP may hold flat today. Haven't seen that in a while. A good sign going into the weekend.  It should hold on to 60% of its shows and get more back quickly if one the new releases fades hard.

It's now rated 9.1 on Maoyan and 9.0 on Gewara based on a combined total of around 20,000 votes or so.

Maybe that could be good compared to other animated films after their first 48 hours? 

Edited by MinaTakla

On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Olive said:

Movies have around 80% on-line ticket share on average, but for Never Gone it only had less than 50% after its OW, that's  concrete evidence of fudging.

After its 3rd weekend ,online sales dropped under 20%...

On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 3:56 AM, Polaroids said:

No offense, Olive, but what I mean with concrete evidence is stone-hard evidence coming from SARFT that these movies participated in fudging (like for Ip Man). Otherwise it's just speculation. Even coming from you.

We all follow BO for various reasons. 

One is the truth I can find in the numbers, not what government agencies report. Olives stats are concrete enough.

6 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

It's now rated 9.1 on Maoyan and 9.0 on Gewara based on a combined total of around 20,000 votes or so.

Maybe that could be good compared to other animated films after their first 48 hours? 

If it bumps today and again tomorrow, then you start to look at the runners that opened small and ran like GML and Zoo. Will still have to see the weekend to determine if could be an SA or Zoo/GML.

Minions,450m, opened big and had a typical fade. TJB, 1b, opened to 80m and held very well.  TMK, 950m, opened small and managed to increase with big competition, maybe we compare it to that one. Hard to say what this could do. 300m to 1.5B is the range for now. ? 

We'll tighten that up tomorrow

Edit. Evenings were weaker than I thought.  Will have a decent DoD hold but not one that is indicating a big run.

It'll still do much better than FD though

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Maoyan and Gewara ratings are inflated. Check Douban...currently at 7.7 which is average for an animated film. Won't be anything like Zootopia.

8 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

If it bumps today and again tomorrow, then you start to look at the runners that opened small and ran like GML and Zoo. Will still have to see the weekend to determine if could be an SA or Zoo/GML.

Minions,450m, opened big and had a typical fade. TJB, 1b, opened to 80m and held very well.  TMK, 950m, opened small and managed to increase with big competition, maybe we compare it to that one. Hard to say what this could do. 300m to 1.5B is the range for now. ? 

We'll tighten that up tomorrow

Edit. Evenings were weaker than I thought.  Will have a decent DoD hold but not one that is indicating a big run.

It'll still do much better than FD though

So 300m by end of run maybe? 

Edited by MinaTakla

9 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

SLOP will have more than 10% showtimes this weekend, enough for an animated movie.

Next 2 weeks, competitions will be weaker

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olive said:

SLOP will have more than 10% showtimes this weekend, enough for an animated movie.

Next 2 weeks, competitions will be weaker

Thanks Olive. I am trying to project the minimum and maximum it can make in China by end of run so I can add it to my OS projections.

Maybe it could be too early to set a max. and min. for it before we see the Fri/ weekend numbers..unless we have similar comparisons for animated films in August.. For now I'll probably pit 300m as a minimum based on NP's projections and put 50m USD as a max based on your projections but let me know if you have a different view.

Edited by MinaTakla

1 hour ago, James said:

Did Suicide Squad get definitely rejected, or are there still talks? I know it's a small chance, but usually we get confirmation when a big movie won't be released there.

I don't think a confirmation came out one way or the other yet. I talked to Olive yesterday about it and he still says that it's very unlikely for it to get released. But nothing officially confirmed or released to the media yet, as far as I know. 

• Like 1