A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Less than 50% drop from a holiday Tuesday, good hold.

It will lose many screens on Friday when GOTG hits.

GOTG presales are only a bit less than X-men, but Saturday will be a Workday.

How likely a sarurday workday behaves compared to a non workday one ?

Another source say 48M OD

I think  48M+52M+65M OW.

Blockbusters always have a 10x multiplier from OD if the WOM is decent.

The target is 500M yuan/$80M..

I would be very happy with 80 mill $

• Like 1

Well if Sat's a workday, that's impressive.

OD in yuan

Cap 2: 62.3M

TASM 2: 60.5M

DoFP: 68.4M

Apes 2: 91.5M

GotG isn't exceptional but luckily the weekend multiplier will be higher than those films.

If Sat is a workday why would the multiplier be higher?  That should hurt the Sat bump and decrease the multiplier.

TWS & DOFP also had holiday buffered opening weekends.   TASM2 opened on a weird day - I think Sun or Mon.

TWS's Sunday was flat from Sat because of a Monday Holiday.  It's Fri/Sat/Sun was 62/90/90

So, Breakup Buddies still on top box office this week.

The Grandmaster 3D (Oct, 23) will effect GotG. 

Apparently The Grandmaster re-issue has moved off to January 8, 2015, according to news reports.  In terms of GOTG competition for 3D screens it is only the re-issue of Ice Age: The Meltdown (still scratching my head on this one, why?) on Monday and then Hercules on October 21...I don't see either being huge threats.  Lucy is hitting 24th Friday, not sure of it has been 3D-converted for China, some weibo posters are saying so.

Edited by Archerdude

If Sat is a workday why would the multiplier be higher?  That should hurt the Sat bump and decrease the multiplier.

TWS & DOFP also had holiday buffered opening weekends.   TASM2 opened on a weird day - I think Sun or Mon.

TWS's Sunday was flat from Sat because of a Monday Holiday.  It's Fri/Sat/Sun was 62/90/90

It's true that these movies had unique runsas well. Let's assume two films have the same opening day gross (Friday) but for one of the films, Saturday is a workday. On a normal weekend, the film would make Fri 10, Sat 15 and Sun 12 (overall 37). For a weekend with a workday Saturday, it would be Fri 10, Sat 19, Sun 15 (overall 44). In one case, multiplier is 3.7; in the otehr it's 4.4.

My explanation: On normal weekends: Friday mornings are not busy but afternoons and evenings are quite busy (because Sat isn't a workday). Saturday mornings are a bit busier but afternoons and evenings are about the same (cuz Sunday isn't a workday).

On this weekend, Friday mornings, afternoons and evenings are not very big cuz Fri and Sat are workdays. On Sat, mornings are slow too, but there is a masssive urge to go Sat evening cuz Sunday isn't a workday. It is the only evening for which the following day isn't a workday so people will do anything to go see the film they want.

This is a theory and actually one that is based on limited evidence and an attempt to use common sense (which isn't always valid). Moviegoing habits vary greatly from country to country so China could possibly be an exception.

• Like 1

Saturday est.

Guardians 54 mln or $8.81 mln. 101 mln or $16.46 mln total.

Breakup Buddies 31.6 mln or $5.15 mln. 893 mln or $145.6 mln total.

Dearest 6.8 mln or $1.11 mln. 286 mln or $46.6 mln total.

Bugs 3D  3.5 mln or $0.57 mln. 7.4 mln or $1.2 mln total.

• Like 11

Apparently The Grandmaster re-issue has moved off to January 8, 2015, according to news reports.  In terms of GOTG competition for 3D screens it is only the re-issue of Ice Age: The Meltdown (still scratching my head on this one, why?) on Monday and then Hercules on October 21...I don't see either being huge threats.  Lucy is hitting 24th Friday, not sure of it has been 3D-converted for China, some weibo posters are saying so.

News reports (and the official mainland poster) say it'll be in 3D. It'll also be an IMAX release, so GOTG will probably lose a lot of its screens there as well (though Lucy will soon lose a lot of its IMAX screens to The Maze Runner and Ninja Turtles, which will both be getting IMAX releases within a week of Lucy).

News reports (and the official mainland poster) say it'll be in 3D. It'll also be an IMAX release, so GOTG will probably lose a lot of its screens there as well (though Lucy will soon lose a lot of its IMAX screens to The Maze Runner and Ninja Turtles, which will both be getting IMAX releases within a week of Lucy).

...and the glut as designed by the powers that be will be in full effect soon.

Saturday est.

Dearest 6.8 mln or $1.11 mln. 286 mln or $46.6 mln total.

Bugs 3D  3.5 mln or $0.57 mln. 7.4 mln or $1.2 mln total.

Looks like Fri-Sun this weekend is acting more like Thur-Sat so small increase on Saturday and maybe a Sunday increase instead of a decrease?

GOTG with 101m total - so Friday was actually 47m ($7.65m)?

Edited by TalismanRing

Saturday est.

GotG increase slowly, Breakup Buddies decrease slowly (12 days). It seem next week Breakup Buddies still be on top.