A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

I agree its gonna be pre-sales heaving day for sure. I think it must be a record. Around 312m pre-sales already. So even 2x aint happening. openers would probably do < 2x. I think mermaid will have a good day with reviews saying its decent. It could do 250m. MK2 and Macau 3 will probably do somewhere around 170m+. So Top 3 itself will come close to 600m!!! Rest will make another 50m at best.

Also agree the country should support more movies at the same time. I think that could take 5 years at the current expansion rate. at around 400k shows per day I can see 5-6 big movies existing at the same time. At that time we will see 1B Yuan+ single day of BO !!!

Edited by keysersoze123

Sunday Estimates (38.4M total, will be one of slowest days this year)

Kung Fu Panda 3: 15.1M/679M

Man From Macau 3: 6.8M Midnights

Mermaid: 5.2M Midnights

Monkey King 2: 2.4M Midnights

Star Wars TFA: 1.2M/824M ($125.3M) FINAL BO

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Polaroids said:

According to this - http://weibo.com/5768800667/DgKENmJow, Mermaid already broke Lost in Hongkong's presale record (99.92 million yuan) with 100 million yuan in opening day presales. How much are we predicting for the CNY movies?

local movie has tons of discount tickets.I assume that actual number for presale is only half of reported number.

Remember TFA drop 30% on 2nd day?TFA has a lot of discount tickets on OD.However,local movies have much larger discount tickets.

I won't surprise If Mermaid drop 20% after its opening day.If WOM is not good enough,it will drop harder.The final trailer is terrible.I cant believe it is directed by Stephen chow

Edited by bangbingchan

8 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

local movie has tons of discount tickets.I assume that actual number for presale is only half of reported number.

Remember TFA drop 30% on 2nd day?TFA has a lot of discount tickets on OD.However,local movies have much larger discount tickets.

I won't surprise If Mermaid drop 20% after its opening day.If WOM is not good enough,it will drop harder.The final trailer is terrible.I cant believe it is directored by Stephen chow

The reviews suggest that it is still a very Stephen Chow style comedy. I suspect it is the front runner actually.

14 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

The reviews suggest that it is still a very Stephen Chow style comedy. I suspect it is the front runner actually.

In fact,I don't like recent Stephen chow films.CJ7 was last film I saw in theater.it's terrible.There is no public media releases for Mermaid.I doubt the review before.wait and see Mermaid WOM tommorrow.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

In fact,I don't like recent Stephen chow films.CJ7 was last film I saw in theater.it's terrible.There is no public media releases for Mermaid.I doubt the review before.wait and see Mermaid WOM tommorrow.

Did you like download and watch Journey to the west: Conquering the Demons by Stephen Chow? How did you find it? Just curious. =)

2 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

I won't surprise If Mermaid drop 20% after its opening day.If WOM is not good enough,it will drop harder.The final trailer is terrible.I cant believe it is directed by Stephen chow

It has decent reviews and people have compared it to Kung Fu Hustle. So we'll see. I'm actually quite optimistic about it.

54 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

It has decent reviews and people have compared it to Kung Fu Hustle. So we'll see. I'm actually quite optimistic about it.

It's sad that people have compared it to Kung Fu Hustle. Kung Fu Hustle is a masterpiece. This film? Only worth to watch if it's on TV.

3 minutes ago, Bluebomb said:

It's sad that people have compared it to Kung Fu Hustle. Kung Fu Hustle is a masterpiece. This film? Only worth to watch if it's on TV.

Interesting opinion. A friend just got back from watching it and he liked it. What was wrong about the movie?

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Did you like download and watch Journey to the west: Conquering the Demons by Stephen Chow? How did you find it? Just curious. =)

I don't like it either.If CJ7 is C+ movie,Conquering the demons is B- movie.Nothing can compare with Kungfu.

Edited by bangbingchan