A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

After seeing the new trailer, I think ID2 will be top Hollywood film of the year. 2012 (same director- Roland Emmerich) was the highest grossing movie of the year in China, beating even Transformers 2. If ID2 gets a good release date, I think Transformers 4's gross should be the floor.

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

20m per day. Close to 900 meaning upper 800s. 

Too optimistic. As I said from tuesday it will behave like a weekday(but like summer weekday). Plus it will lose screens on VD. There are 3 movies that will take away screens from KFP3. Probably will be single digit BO from 14th onwards. I would say high 800's finish more likely than being at high 800's in next 9 days.

Mermaid looks like a monster. Probably will be close to 250m again today. Another 6 days it will be close to 2B or atleast 1.8B!!!! Macau 3 will gross around 135-140m while MK2 will gross 115-120m.

If Mermaid keeps decent amount of shows post next weekend it will easily beat Monster Hunt. I wonder how big a movie can get. Hope it grosses something like 3B.

• Like 3

2PM update: (Yesterday's 2PM figures in brackets)

Mermaid: 162.8M (170.1M)

Macau 3: 89.4M (110.3M)

TMK2: 76.8M (111.1M)

KFP3: 16.2M (13.7M)

Mermaid is only looking at a 4-5% drop! It could again come close to 250M! 2B is LOCKED.

Macau 3 looking at 20% drop and TMK3 30% drop. Former should do 1B but the latter probably won't.

KFP3 should have a decent bump today. 900M should happen IMO.

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Too optimistic. As I said from tuesday it will behave like a weekday(but like summer weekday). Plus it will lose screens on VD. There are 3 movies that will take away screens from KFP3. Probably will be single digit BO from 14th onwards. I would say high 800's finish more likely than being at high 800's in next 9 days.

Its 20% ahead of yesterday. Looks like it will bump close to 25m today. Shows increase to 5% tomorrow. Bumble again? Again IDK what will happen with screens next week but if it performs well it should keep enough. I thought Sunday openers are weak and different demo. TMK2 diving fast. This is the only other choice the kiddies have. 

Edit. The 3 releases have less than 1m in presales and low show count which will drop. KFP3 has 1.7 shows will go up over 3%

Edited by No Prisoners

24 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Looks like it will bump close to 25m today. Again IDK what will happen with screens next week but if it performs well it should keep enough. I thought Sunday openers are weak and different demo. TMK2 diving fast. This is the only other choice the kiddies have.

Edit. The 3 releases have less than 1m in presales and low show count which will drop. KFP3 has 1.7 shows will go up over 3%

we will see. But I am skeptical KFP3 keeping good amount of screens with 6 movies taking chunk of screens. Even with TMK2 diving its not gonna disappear after 6 days. KFP3 would be in its 17th day. Since its still 5 days away you will see openers and big holdovers grab a chunk of shows before smaller movies will add them. I would say around 2% is likely. I dont know how it will gross 20m with that amount of screens plus VD will attract different audience. But by 19th its gonna disappear all together. I would say 120m over next 5 days(including today). Another 50m till 19th and post that it will make 10-20m at best. You can do that math on where it will finish.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Olive,

Update from maoyan/cbooo this morning put mermaid at 260m. So were the numbers yesterday night somewhat overestimated?

about 500 more theaters yet to report. 

at the end of cbooo daily box office page, it shows the number of theaters that have reported bo numbers. currently, there should be close to 6400 theaters in total in active in the country.

• Like 1

I watched all 3 movies in Singapore, and I understand why Mermaid is breaking records. EASILY the best movie out of the 3. 
Not going to win any awards, not the critics type of show, but definitely a family movie that is extremely entertaining, Stephen Chow did it again.

It deserves every single cent it is earning right now. MK2 is almost as bad as MK1 =/   Macau 3 is the worst of the trilogy.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Stephen chow is like the James Cameron of China. 

Wish he is acting more often too.

Everyone wish, haha, however he has stepped behind the camera... 
The day he steps infront again, I can't imagine what the box office results will be.