A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

10 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Probably Pixar sequels has more advantages in China....than Pixar originals. Pixar originals are harder sell, though......unless it appeals to the Chinese audience.

I think as long as it is good it will sell. Zootopia feels more like a Pixar than Disney film to some, and I honestly think China audiences don't care and just watch it based on WOM.. but yes, I do agree, by default Pixar Originals are a hard sell to China.

I would say Finding Dory will hit at least 300m-400m Yuan IMO, easily... but of course it depends on the release date.. the release date if coincides with an anticipated live action film eg: Warcraft... then it will be tough for Finding Dory.

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

The growth in China market is just crazy, especially after 2014. 
Let's just assume for a moment, realistically that Zootopia hits 1.2billion Yuan and Ip Man 3 hits 800m yuan yuan, if we rank it in 2014, we have the number 2 and number 4 ranked movie in 2014. Lol. (And we are talking about a dull period known as March over here). Really impressive market growth despite the weakening economic conditions.

But in 2016, is 1.2billion yuan a top 10 candidiate? Its crazy. So many more big hits coming up....

It is crazy. The 250m + number I gave for Nemo adjusted in the prev page comes from an actual number of around 4m in 2003. Even after reducing the ER improvement factor it still results in 190m+ and thats without including this years 55% jump (which would mean 190*1.55 = a straightoff 295m). Just gauge the level of market growth from that... more than 48× in 12 years, 75x in 13!!!!

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, firedeep said:

Easily.

Just some random guesses:

Disney: ZOO 1.5B, JB 600M, CW 2B, Alice 700m, FD 400M, DS 900M = 6.1B

FOX: ID 2B, X-M 1.5B, IA 5 1B (in summer) = 4.5B

Uni: Bourne 1B, Huntsman 400M, Warcraft doesnot count

WB: BVS 1B, Fantastic Beasts 1B, SS 1B

Really? What gives? I thought it was more of a 600-700m material than 1B. Moreover, you think it'll make the same as BvS?

On 3/11/2016 at 2:55 AM, Olive said:

Yeah, I'm also worried about BVS, it has some buzz on certain forums, but not much on social networks.

Even the cast's visiting didn't cause much attention.

Even though its 2nd weekend will be boosted by holidays, but Revenant seems to be breaking out, and Zootopia won't die down soon,and some local movies.

So competitions will be quite fierce for it, if the movie is not very good, it may be in trouble..

I thought hiring a local actor to promote the film would give buzz for the film. Seems that method doesn't really help unless they actually cast the actors in the films.

40 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

I thought hiring a local actor to promote the film would give buzz for the film. Seems that method doesn't really help unless they actually cast the actors in the films.

Look what happened to SW7 and KFP3...

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, firedeep said:

This is a booming Spring, especially for imports. Jungle Book appears to be another $80m~$100m-plus performer. BVS could cross 1B. 

Disney should win 2016 among all studios: ZOO 1.5B, JB 600M, CW 2B, Alice 700m, FD 400M, DS 900M, possibly a huge 6B year for them. 

The more I think about it, the more I feel 2016 is not a weak year for Hollywood in China at all. Sure, there is probably no standalone super blockbusters like TF4 or FF7 but a dozen of HLW semi-blockbusters could all make runs for 1B , adding in one or two unexpected huge hits like ZOO.

Local blockbusters wise, sure there was Mermaid, but the rest of the year looks pretty desolate, except Railrode Tigers and Memory War, both pending for a October release.

So maybe imports box office share could stay 40%+.

2017 is truly the year to watch, with both China and Hollywood offering their best blockbuster slates.

Last year FF7, AoU & JW dominated CBO in its first 6 months, each of them made over 1.4B. At that time, the biggest local film was Macau 2 which grossed less than 1B. But top 10 movies 2015 end up with 7 Local :3 Import. Among the 7 local films, only LiHK & Mojin were expected to do big. The rest were all unexpected hit (some never heard).

2016, Import would still be higher than local movie, Zootopia, BvS, CA3,... during the same time. The difference is 3 local movies made over 1B already. I'm sure no one can touch Mermaid . Although no big local title was expected to do big in next 6 months, Who knows, there should be many sleep hit. The market is growing so fast, so it's unpredictable. I wouldn't surprise if Zhao Wei's new drama (her 2nd time as director) join top 10 movies 2016. So Young was just a bit less than Iron Man 3 in 2013 & was #3 movie of the year. Anyway, so many big titles HLW this year. So Top 10 should be hard to predict. 

Btw, feel sorry for KFP 3. With less than a month, its position would be taken by Zootopia. It should be the fastest record holder to lose its crown. The question is how long Zootopia can hold this crown? 

4 hours ago, Polaroids said:

I think so. HLW should cast the actors in the film instead of just hire them for promotion. This way should be better (in case they want more money). The thing is maybe the cost of hiring star promotion is cheaper than casting them in movie or vice versa? But HLW is very WHITE, not surprise that they rarely accept new thing. 

I’m glad to see the success of Zoo in China,but I’m worried if it could enter the top 10 of year finally.You know,all top 10 movies were higher than ¥957M in 2015,and the market has a great change every year.I afraid Zoo need ¥1.2B(maybe much more than this number) at least to stay in the top 10 this year.

I don’t mean something(like dash cold water to someone).Entering Top 10 is difficult to HLW movies in recent years.Maybe only CA3 and X-Men could still achieve that this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olive said:

Look what happened to SW7 and KFP3...

Yeah, I know. But Li Yifeng has a bigger following so I would have expected his promotion to help but.. hmm. Seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Last year FF7, AoU & JW dominated CBO in its first 6 months, each of them made over 1.4B. At that time, the biggest local film was Macau 2 which grossed less than 1B. But top 10 movies 2015 end up with 7 Local :3 Import. Among the 7 local films, only LiHK & Mojin were expected to do big. The rest were all unexpected hit (some never heard).

2016, Import would still be higher than local movie, Zootopia, BvS, CA3,... during the same time. The difference is 3 local movies made over 1B already. I'm sure no one can touch Mermaid . Although no big local title was expected to do big in next 6 months, Who knows, there should be many sleep hit. The market is growing so fast, so it's unpredictable. I wouldn't surprise if Zhao Wei's new drama (her 2nd time as director) join top 10 movies 2016. So Young was just a bit less than Iron Man 3 in 2013 & was #3 movie of the year. Anyway, so many big titles HLW this year. So Top 10 should be hard to predict. 

Btw, feel sorry for KFP 3. With less than a month, its position would be taken by Zootopia. It should be the fastest record holder to lose its crown. The question is how long Zootopia can hold this crown? 

I think so. HLW should cast the actors in the film instead of just hire them for promotion. This way should be better (in case they want more money). The thing is maybe the cost of hiring star promotion is cheaper than casting them in movie or vice versa? But HLW is very WHITE, not surprise that they rarely accept new thing. 

Yep it's too early to predict and say Hollywood is going to dominate CBO this year. No one really expected Monster Hunt or the other romcoms to make as much as they did. Some of the lesser hyped local films could become surprise hits.

Hollywood mostly just hires actors for cameos anyway which isn't really satisfactory for the actor and the audience anymore. Civil War tried to get a local actor to cameo in the film and the actor turned it down.

Zootopia's success in China is one of the biggest surprises in a long time for me. I thought it would gross $50-60 million, in line with other animated films not named KFP. I can't believe it might go over $230 million. That's far far higher than any Disney animated film ever grossed in China. What is it about the film that is causing it to break out and have such good WOM? Anthropomorphic animals have never had this level of success in China.

• Like 1