A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

4 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

120 is still a lot better than almost anyone was expecting a month ago and all MCU first entries iirc.      This is more concerning with regard to possible reception of BP2 in my opinion, but that can also be affected by IW and A4.     

Ant-Man&the Wasp would only need a pretty modest increase from the well received first part 3 years ago to beat BP in China then, which would be really amusing when you look at the ratio between number six for those 2 domestically.

wow, I just looked at most of the CBMS and their all at least an 8.0. This would be the worst received comic book movie I think. Even thor the dark world has an 8.7. BVS has an 8. So yeah it probably would be bad for BP2. Most origin stories don't have a lot of action, but I guess they just really dislike this one.

4 minutes ago, peludo said:

Although BP is the main claim of the CBO right now, just to notice that both Detective Chinatown 2 and Operation Red Sea have already reached $500m (3.2b Yuan).

I can't think of something like that happening in the U.S. Two movies releasing on the same date and both making over $500 million. Add a third film that has also made close to $350 million also released on the same day. :o

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I can't think of something like that happening in the U.S. Two movies releasing on the same date and both making over $500 million. Add a third film that has also made close to $350 million also released on the same day. :o

Even more: DC2 ranks #3, Operation Red Sea #4 and Monster Hunt 2 ranks #8 all time. I know that is not comparable since the CBO is still developing, but right now it is like if US had released Titanic, Jurassic World and Rogue One the same day...

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Proxima Olive said:

Chinese are very racist,most people discriminate against yellow ethnic minorities let alone black people..

Many people think BP is just political correctness.

I saw that(I was translating their comments on google translate)... and was kind of shocked that they use that that term. I thought it was just something in the states. Why would they think its political correctness? what the hell? so weird.  I feel like they're being extra harsh because of the race factor, but didn't really want to say that. 

8 hours ago, commendable said:

no man it is just that you really want this film to fail and its weird, you are just saying the same thing people have said about black led films in asia for years. not to mention you call the chinas marketing SJW which makes absolutely no sense to me... 

This.

This is why i don’t trust some butthurt babies or so called smart know-it-alls who purposely wishes for a certain blockbuster to fail/bomb before/during release because of their disdain.

I keep saying this: Just because an individual hates a movie from a franchise or the entire franchise as a whole....doesn’t really mean that the certain film or it’s upcoming sequel should/must do less because of a hater’s wishful wantings.

No matter quality, it just doesn’t work like that.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Thanks 1

About 90m at 5 pm. Currently doing about 7m per hour. Still tracking towards about 140ish OD. If WOM is indeed very bad then we could see the OW about 65-70 and legs shorter than SMH to a total around the 100-105 million mark. 

• Like 3

100M is fine, don't know what people are complaining about. Superhero movies generally have a limit around 120M in China. Logan, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Thor, GotG 2, Spiderman Homecoming, they all did between 90 and 120 last year iirc. If it gets there then that's a win.

$100m is fine for sure. Some weeks ago it was being said that this would be lucky to make half of that.

But the problem is that it is not the same to make $100m opening to $30m than opening to $70m. The WoM is a bad signal for upcoming sequels (in China).

Edited by peludo

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

$100m is fine for sure. Some weeks ago it was being said that this would be lucky to make half of that.

But the problem is that it is not the same to make $100m opening to $30m than opening to $70m. The WoM is a bad signal for upcoming sequels (in China).

Its up to an 8.0 now...

Marvel cannot be anything but crazy thrilled with Black Panther’s performance overall. However, they’re playing the long game, and China is a big market — they’d probably rather have a $70M total and a 8.8 Maoyan than a 140 total and a 7.8 Maoyan, because feelings toward the character will affect BP2, BP3, at least 4 avengers films probably and likely even some other character’s solo movies in which he appears.     

That said, a single movie’s reception doesn’t determine how people feel about the character forever. If the complaints are mostly about issues specific to this movie’s plot/structure/action balance rather than the characters, then it’s certainly possible future movie’s could end up more liked just by regression to the mean.

Edited by Sliver Legion
  • Like 3

Hello.  I've lurked this forum on and off for some years, but today ran into an article I thought interesting enough to get me to make an account and post about it. :D

The article: Can ‘Black Panther’ Change Chinese Attitudes Toward Race?

is written by Niesha Davis, an African-American English teacher in China, who writes that the population has an extremely negative view of black people, and the writer is wondering if Black Panther will have any impact on that.  After reading the article, I came to the conclusion that Black Panther has a severe uphill battle to do well there.

But I'm curious to know if posters here, particularly those that live in China, agree with the article or have a differing view.   

Edited by Moby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Only Superhero film can pass 150M is The Avengers IW. 

Over 200M? It’s difficult!? 

Avengers films are which make bigger numbers.

Age of Ultron did 1.46b Yuan ($230m today, $240m in 2015)

Civil War did 1.25b Yuan ($196m today, $190 in 2016)

Inifnity War should at least be at the same level. If it explodes to a higher level is the real question.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, POTUS said:

good numbers in Taiwan and HK hyped up

Many forgot or did not realise that strong first 1 to 2 weeks BO at many East Asia/South East Asia countries/regions had one important reason: the opening of BP coincide with the long stretch of holidays/long weekend in these places due to Lunar/Chinese New Year.

• Like 4