A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

40 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

What's your prediction for KFP3?

$200m ... I don't think 1.29 is a good slot. I think the distributors are too confident that they think KFP3 will be able to co-exist with CNY releases on 2.8. I dont think so.

37 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? :huh:

good.

48 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Do China think some of the locals after KFP3, have more interest & hype than "Panda" or what?

It's just how the market works. New releases always take screens from holdovers, 10 new movies on 2.8 (the tenth day in KFP3's release), 4 more five days later, half of those are blockbusters or semi-blockbusters. No movie, not Transfomers, can surive such compeition IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, movieboner said:

Everyone is pinning their hopes on China's film market to help Star Wars: TFA outgross Avatar worldwide. It's practically impossible, with its current markets, it would likely finish a little below Titanic. Do people expect $500-600 million from China to overtake Avatar? Highly unlikely, Chinese films are giving serious competition to foreign films and are taking a larger share of the market. 2-3 years ago that wasn't the case, but now it's different.

Yeah, been hearing some $500m talk, which is kinda nuts. I don't know whether the prequels doing well enough back in the day here, the extreme hype and heavy marketing will be enough to sweep Chinese audiences into the cinema. I thought the movie relies on nostalgic attachment to help drive home some of the major moments. A nostalgia which the general moviegoer doesn't have.

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

It's just how the market works. New releases always take screens from holdovers, 10 new movies on 2.8 (the tenth day in KFP3's release), 4 more five days later, half of those are blockbusters or semi-blockbusters. No movie, not Transfomers, can surive such compeition IMO.

Not even Star Wars?

TFA has a 3 week run or so before KFP3 opens yeah? Does TFA have any competition in between? There's a Zhang Ziyi rom-com duirng this period I believe, but don't seem to hear much about it. The Chinese tend to travel and holiday around then too (at least my relations and friends and acquaintances) leading to CNY. 

26 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

SW movies are not popular in china. I think it has decent release date and can gross 1B in china. That to be is the best case scenario. KFP3 can do 1.2B with just 9 day open run. We have to wait a while for next furious 7 level of breakout.

10 days open run(29-30-31-1-2-3-4-5-6-7)

But i'm sure that the release date will be changed...

2 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

"Insiders who spoke to Screendaily said the China debut on January 9, 2016, could deliver $150m or more in the opening weekend. "

That's really funny. 

Loooooooooooool

5 hours ago, firedeep said:

Mr Six heading to 700m ... another Wolf Totam, being sold best in Beijing.

D&A enjoys free falling, one of the worst legs

Hope DC performs well next week

Yes, Feng Xiaogang will beat Deng Chao again, he just did it in 52nd Golden Horse Award competition for best actor. 

With the NY holiday this weekend, it shouldn't be difficult. I'm confident although it will face 4 new big openers, Detective Chinatown & Heart of Heaven on 12/31 and Little Door Gods & Everybody's Fine on 1.1. 

Will Heart of Heaven break out like Goodbye Mr. Loser?

Will Little Door Gods be the next Monkey King?