A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

21 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

We had faith in you, China.....and you certainly wasted it. :(

Why, Planet Earth....why?

Why are your countries in the world, constantly avoiding DW-films like that? They had like 3 underperformers with Fox.....

Do you want them to fail like that?

Partnering with Fox for its distribution is the worst thing ever.... 

With a Saturday like this, let alone 1B, even 800m could be out of reach ... can I say it's heading to the flop territory...

With such a low per show attendance, playing into CNY holiday is hardly possible, it will be basically out of theaters on CNY day.

It's rumored that when DWA choosed the January 29th release date, the Film Bureau tried to ask DWA to move Panda to Chinese New Year (Feb 8), reminding them the pre-CNY week is not good, but DWA refused (the Jan 29th release was picked by DWA, not ODW)... they said in North America, event films always open in the weekend before the holiday, like the pre-thanksgiving weekend and the weekend before Christmas. They thought it would work similarly in China ! Such arrogance and ignorance.

But this is China ... the pre-holiday pattern would be okay for smaller holidays like Qingming or Dragon Boat Festival. But CNY is different. So different. Now they should learn. (Katzenberg once joked to Raman Hui that if KFP3 outgrossed Monster Hunt, would he cry...:ph34r: http://news.mtime.com/2015/12/12/1550246.html)

What a heartbreaking weekend for DW fanboys in China. I know a lot of Panda fans who can't take the disappointing results.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

With a Saturday like this, let alone 1B, even 800m could be out of reach ... can I say it's heading to the flop territory...

With such a low per show attendance, playing into CNY holiday is hardly possible, it will be basically out of theaters on CNY day.

It's rumored that when DWA choosed the January 29th release date, the Film Bureau tried to ask DWA to move Panda to Chinese New Year (Feb 8), reminding them the pre-CNY week is not good, but DWA refused (the Jan 29th release was picked by DWA, not ODW)... they said in North America, event films always open in the weekend before the holiday, like the pre-thanksgiving weekend and the weekend before Christmas. They thought it would work similarly in China ! Such arrogance and ignorance.

But this is China ... the pre-holiday pattern would be okay for smaller holidays like Qingming or Dragon Boat Festival. But CNY is different. So different. Now they should learn.

What a heartbreaking weekend for DW fanboys in China. I know a lot of Panda fans who can't take the disappointing results.

Wow, thanks for this post. I mean as a DW fan, I am a little disappointed, initially with the audiences for not appreciate a good movie but now I know its really not their fault.

DW had a choice, and did not bother adapting to Chinese culture and customs and paid the price. Day and date release with the US, bad move.

January is just bad, if they had released last week, it will be met with the Snowstorm.. They should really have chosen Feb 8, 15% showtimes on Feb 8 with good word of mouth will go a long way.  I originally thought through the spring festival it will be ranked this way: Mermaid, Vegas to Macau 3, KFP and Monkey King... now KFP is tanking the bottom, MK2 seems to be heading to the top and WOM seems to be good with the previews.. 
I got a bad feeling about Mermaid, very bad feeling and I am saying that as a huge Stephen Chow fan.

BTW, looking at other parts of Asia, Mermaid will not be earning much in HK, Msia and Singapore, because the stars are mostly from mainland China and are unfamiliar with most audiences. Plus while the others are out 5th Feb, Mermaid is coming out on 8th Feb in these countries... 1 day away from Deadpool in HK, 3 days away from Deadpool in Singapore and Malaysia.

Vegas to Macau 3 will be the highest grossing in these 3 territories, but will face Revenant in the CNY weekend. Monkey King 2 is being boycotted by some audiences in Malaysia because their distributor GSC decided to leave Piggy out of their poster...

(PS: any news on Skiptrace? )

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Seems like I'm the only one here still optimistic about The Mermaid. Stephen Chow has yet to disappoint me (yes I liked CJ7 too). 

How much did Journey to the West earn in Malaysia, HK and SG? The lead actor in that one was unknown too.

Let me show you. =) 
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=journeytothewest.htm

Not bad at all to be honest, but Shuqi is quite well known in the Asia region, plus the title "Journey to the west" itself is a draw on CNY, if Journey to the West 2 comes out on CNY. It would kill Macau and Monkey King 2 easily... but Mermaid is just relatively unknown, plus it is not released on Feb 4th/5th (Thursday or Friday which is the traditional release date in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong), it will be released on 8th and Deadpool comes out on 9th in HK, 11th in Sg and Msia... I want it to do well, but i am being realistic. 

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

But this is China ... the pre-holiday pattern would be okay for smaller holidays like Qingming or Dragon Boat Festival. But CNY is different. So different. Now they should learn. (Katzenberg once joked to Raman Hui that if KFP3 outgrossed Monster Hunt, would he cry...:ph34r: http://news.mtime.com/2015/12/12/1550246.html)

Wow, that's beyond stupid. I had asked Olive, why release it before CNY he said they were confident KFP3 could out hold other movies. If it makes less than 1B, it won't even reach top 10 for the year, what a fail. 

Um with such mediocre numbers for Panda, just don't expect Ice Age to get more than 100m USD in China this summer. With a release pattern similar to MINIONS (coming after the blackout period), it'll probably have the same fate as Minions and KFP3 as under-performers in China.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

WTF is this bull? Where did they go about thinking this would work in Asia...let alone China? Don't they know the period after New Year's Day and before Chinese New Year is dead? Ugh, it is so frustrating to see DWA shoot themselves in the foot like that if that rumor is true.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gabriel Sales said:

Or am I completely uninformed or have read some nonsense here. Now an end opening weekend with $ 60 million is disappointing? Will do almost double the US openness to it is still disappointing?

Hard to understand!

Kung Fu Panda 3 was build with China in mind... They re-animated all characters to speak Mandarin. They also did a major partnership with Chinese publishers, and KFP2 had a very strong gross when it debuted, suggesting KFP3 was going to be a monster. It was supposed to give the top list for animated movies a run for its money.. Unlikely now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gabriel Sales said:

Or am I completely uninformed or have read some nonsense here. Now an end opening weekend with $ 60 million is disappointing? Will do almost double the US openness to it is still disappointing?

Hard to understand!

Very easy. KFP2 did 612 million Yuan ($92m) 4 1/2 years ago, what meant to be the 4th highest film ever in that moment, just behind Avatar and another 2 local films (Let the bullets fly and After shock, both with 600s million Yuan too). Taking into account the expansion of the Chinese market in recent years, it was not so crazy to think that a sequel of KFP, having a Chinese symbol like the Panda as a star could explode. It is obvious that we were wrong, but there were many reasons to think this could be the animated Transformers version for China. So, yes, it is VERY disappointing.

• Like 3

Both the previous KFP movies made more than 4% of yearly box office, 2016 yearly box office is on track to 55B or more!

So under 2B for Panda is just disappointing, and under 1.2B is just disaster considering the marketing and co-producing. 

Actually many experts suggested Dreamworks to change the release date, but they are too arrogant to accept it.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Both the previous KFP movies made more than 4% of yearly box office, 2016 yearly box office is on track to 55B or more!

So under 2B for Panda is just disappointing, and under 1.2B is just disaster considering the marketing and co-producing. 

Actually many experts suggested Dreamworks to change the release date, but they are too arrogant to accept it.

That kind of arrogance DWA deserves this. They should have released it on Feb 8th. Beyond idiotic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, druv10 said:

That kind of arrogance DWA deserves this. They should have released it on Feb 8th. Beyond idiotic.

KFP3 is co-operation film,not local film.Maybe they cant release on Feb.8.DWA wants to tie with CNY,but SARFT cant let go.DWA doesn't want to give up CNY.it's very awkward.So they choose the pre-holiday date.They think it can work as Christmas holiday.However,it's totally different in China.If DWA choose winter holiday,a week early or 2 weeks later is better choice than Jan.29.The similar release date as DM2,frozen and BH6.it's not best release date,but better than a week before CNY.

Edited by bangbingchan

If the rumors are true, then how arrogant is the DW top brass to make such a huge blunder. How did those at the top reach that position with this attitude?

If employees at the lower rung of the ladder were this bad in their respective fields they would get fired.

On the positive side, if the under-performance in China (relative to expectations) is mainly due to the blunder in release date, it is a very fixable thing and KFP4 should be on. Cause the potential to make insane money in China will still be there for this franchise irrespective of KFP3 date issues.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1