A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

21 hours ago, firedeep said:

Its very compliated. dont know. ODW could collect 37% (still a big ?) from KFP3 box office. But how much DWA gets ? It depends on how much money it wants to move to the US, which might be what you mean. But for most international companies, they dont have to move all of their profits to their home country (if there is a home country). Most of Apple's money are kept outside of the US.

In many people's imagination, studios (producer+distributor) take 55% out of NA box office, 40~45% out of OS-C box office. But that percentage is pointless, without factoring in marketing and distribution costs. The problem is, unless you actually work on the project, you dont know exactly the cost and profits.

The bigger question is, how much $ has DWA and its Chinese partners sunk on ODW and how does that compare with the KFP "profits?"  I think DWA ran into some rough seas last year and downsized, they were pinning on KFP3 hitting major pay dirt in China (I recall firedeep saying there was footage of Jeffrey K insinuating to Raman Hui KFP3 may outgross Monster Hunt, and honestly, that was the vibe on KFP3 leading into the new year), now that it hasn't taken shape, what happens next?

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

So 200m on for KFP3?

2 hours ago, Fake said:

$200M is dead.

The target for now is $150M (1B Yuan).

150m is the baseline. Won't know target until Monday or tuesday. 200m not dead yet.

Are any of the 3 big openers direct all demo competition?

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

150m is the baseline. Won't know target until Monday or tuesday. 200m not dead yet.

Are any of the 3 big openers direct all demo competition?

Don't know if they are direct competition, but the screen count will reduce big time, won't it.

So The Mermaid is not good? That's a shame, I saw the fist teaser (I think) the one with that one cop hilariously misunderstood the description of mermaids and drew them so comical? Thought it looks hialrious and promising. Shame.

29 minutes ago, Sam said:

So The Mermaid is not good? That's a shame, I saw the fist teaser (I think) the one with that one cop hilariously misunderstood the description of mermaids and drew them so comical? Thought it looks hialrious and promising. Shame.

No one said that because no one has really seen it yet, they are not releasing it for sneaks or media previews... that is why we speculate it may not be good.

But it may very well be a surprise and a great movie, everything is just speculation. :)

I personally hope it is a good movie, even if it does not go well with critics but hopefully it is the type of comedy which delights audiences, with good WOM this could go a long way.. but if WOM is bad, MK2 might become the Champ of CNY.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Thursday Estimates

Kung Fu Panda 3: 44.9M/577M

Guo Nian Hao: 6.6M/32M

Alvin & The Chipmunks 4: 3.7M/50.45M

Star Wars TFA: 3.33M/816M

Boonie Bears III: 2.64M/268M

Detective Chinatown: 2.15M/817M

Great hold for KFP3 down only 4.5% from Wednesday. I don't think 200M is dead yet. It needs one of the big 3 Feb 8 movies to flop plus it has great WOM so it is possible.