A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Sorry, but that's not a confirmation Shawn. That's someone saying it did that, but if we have other Chinese sources saying otherwise, then it creates a controversy.

• Founder / Operator

Here is a "legitimate" Chinese news source providing a rough estimate of 30 million yuan (US$4.8m) for the three-day weekend, which is close enough to the 27m yuan figure from firedeep's source.

No offense intended of course, but how do you know? Unless you can translate Chinese, in which case, please be more specific as to where in that article it states that.

No offense intended of course, but how do you know? Unless you can translate Chinese, in which case, please be more specific as to where in that article it states that.

Well no offense Shawn, but of course he can translate. This is the Chinese thread. ;)

• Founder / Operator

Well no offense Shawn, but of course he can translate. This is the Chinese thread. ;)

Just because its the Chinese thread doesn't mean we necessarily have someone that can translate Chinese so how am I supposed to know? Can you? I sure can't. :lol: :PThat's why I'm just asking for a quoted translation and not a summary of what it may or may not say. There's no way to know, all we know is that Sony says $23-25 million and that's about as official as it gets. Edited by ShawnMR

Just because its the Chinese thread doesn't mean we necessarily have someone that can translate Chinese so how am I supposed to know? Can you? I sure can't. :lol: :PThat's why I'm just asking for a quoted translation and not a summary of what it may or may not say. There's no way to know, all we know is that Sony says $23-25 million and that's about as official as it gets.

Good point. I sent an email to Xia and CC'ed you on it. If anyone can translate it will be him.

We will just have to wait for the official grosses it seems to clear this mess up.I can't believe it made $25M in 3-days in China but who knows...

But isn't there someone on here who is willing to translate the site for us?

Good point. I sent an email to Xia and CC'ed you on it. If anyone can translate it will be him.But isn't there someone on here who is willing to translate the site for us?

Looking at Xia's blog, he and his wife just had a child and he's retired from box office. Not sure how active he'll be around these parts anymoreI don't Edited by MrPink

There is an insider on this Chinese forum that posted the RMB gross for Looper and others this weekend. Looper about 30m yuan. Roughly translated into $4.3m.

I think there is little doubt about that. Obviously what happened is that it grossed an estimate of 25m yuan, and someone took that to mean 25 million dollars and then it spread like a wildfire

The only relevant portion is the third paragraph. Here's a rough translation:

Five heroes battling for the throne [referring to this week's five new openers] have made this year's National Day more crowded than ever. [While] copies of the film could not be completely rolled out for various reasons, Looper still surged in attendance, driving a clear box-office rise. In just three days its box office reached nearly 30 million, [leaving] no suspense in its climb to the top rank of the box office.

No denomination is ever specified, but the Chinese media is hardly in the habit of using U.S. dollars to report local box-office numbers.

As for the press release, the quote comes from Endgame, not Sony, which makes more sense. Endgame co-produced the movie and would have every reason to boast about such a record, but they also weren't involved on the Chinese side (that was DMG), so they would be more prone to such a mistake. Or they're just being devious and using a ten-day projection without saying so, as some here have suggested. But I agree with the others that a dollars-for-yuan error is the real explanation.

Edited by Bob Violence

Ray Subers said that he'll "look into the Looper issue".Whatever man. If you just believe everything that gets published on Deadline.com, then you're going to be looking into a lot of issues in the future.

No one was getting this from deadline. Everyone, including deadline, was getting it from the studio, so they are the ones to blame.
  • Like 2