A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Sheep Without Shepherd should be 2nd today. Brilliant trending.

¥58mn so far since re-opening, should be able to cross ¥100mn with ease.

Re-run

Week 0: ¥7.3mn

Week 1: ¥32.5mn

2nd Weekend: ¥17mn

2nd week should be ¥33-34mn range. I expect another ¥40mn.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

This Chinese re-opening is great to recover my BO interest.

If my data are correct, just to notice that "Sheep without a shepherd" has entered in top 50 ever after these numbers. And "Interstellar" is in top 100 again, outgrossing other Hollywood films like "Homecoming" or "Hobbit 3".

And waiting for HP1 release. I am curious about the interest about a nearly 20 years old blockbuster. I find great that films that could not have the chance of having big numbers from China can be "a bit compensated" now with these re-releases. I wish there could be more re-releases like this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yes. At 48. Can go as high as 44.

I have it at 49.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess that the difference could be that I have Titanic with both original and 3D re-release. Titanic did $44m in 1998 (about 360 million Yuan with the XR of that year), and then another 946 million Yuan in 2012. I have not access now, but If I remember well, Maoyan only shows the 2012 release in the all time list.

• Like 1

In 15 days of re-opening, Chinese box office has grossed ¥332mn ($48mn), with peak 175k shows a day and selling over 12 million tickets. That's pretty good with no proper release so far. Will see big jumps in next 2 weeks and huge film set to release on 21st August.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I am also freaking pissed at the decision. No idea what Disney is thinking.

they need cash. There is no way they can keep thinking how to make more money. They have to think how to survive. So one of their event movies need to skip theaters. Because Mulan have no more marketing budget(thank to Disney's determination not pushing it back until the very last minute), putting this one on D+ become the best choice.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I am also freaking pissed at the decision. No idea what Disney is thinking.

They are sitting on a 200m budget film ready for release with already spent marketing dollars. How long can they wait. They had to decide to release at some point. Disney has been among the worst hit companies in this epidemic. Theme Park is their biggest revenue driver and that has had disastrous impact, live sports also was lost and that affected them and now they are not able to release their big budget movies. I guess they decided to make a Guinea pig of Mulan to see how much they can make from DTH. if its successful they might retry with BW especially with COVID not going away this year. Or go with Tenet route of having partial theatrical release and move on to D+ within few weeks of release. Box office will not recover to pre COVID levels for a long time. 

Wallstreet has taken this postively as their stock is up 8% post their worst earnings in a long time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

They are sitting on a 200m budget film ready for release with already spent marketing dollars. How long can they wait. They had to decide to release at some point. Disney has been among the worst hit companies in this epidemic. Theme Park is their biggest revenue driver and that has had disastrous impact, live sports also was lost and that affected them and now they are not able to release their big budget movies. I guess they decided to make a Guinea pig of Mulan to see how much they can make from DTH. if its successful they might retry with BW especially with COVID not going away this year. Or go with Tenet route of having partial theatrical release and move on to D+ within few weeks of release. Box office will not recover to pre COVID levels for a long time. 

Wallstreet has taken this postively as their stock is up 8% post their worst earnings in a long time. 

thats basically one of the biggest factors which they could have avoided to be honest , they were stubborn and moved mulan like 5 days before release

I am inclining toward OD in higher end of 35-50mn for Harry Potter, in fact going by the pace in morning, the lower limit can be low 40s. 

If for a moment say 50mn OD happen, the weekend could be 180mn range, following Spirited Away trend.

The pre-sale trend of Spirited Away with my HP projections.

Time
Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone Spirited Away
Gross Change Gross Change
T-14 Days     ¥0.03  
T-13 Days     ¥0.09 ¥0.06
T-12 Days ¥0.55   ¥0.13 ¥0.04
T-11 Days ¥0.87 ¥0.32 ¥0.18 ¥0.05
T-10 Days ¥1.26 ¥0.39 ¥0.24 ¥0.06
T-9 Days ¥1.59 ¥0.33 ¥0.42 ¥0.18
T-8 Days ¥2.02 ¥0.43 ¥0.56 ¥0.14
T-7 Days ¥2.62 ¥0.60 ¥0.73 ¥0.17
T-6 Days ¥3.37 ¥0.75 ¥1.04 ¥0.31