A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 minute ago, Legion in Boots said:

COVID will be a lot better by mid Feb but I sill feel like hw is struggling here+MCU controversies may affect it. We will see what we see

Oh I'm sure. Realistically I'd probably just say $100-125M but even if it's only $25M that's more than any 2021/2022 MCU release made there 😅

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I can’t see “a lot better”

If you can understand the Chinese and go to China’s internet world,check the popularity trends,you will see how people afriad of COVID

Is just like you have the internet during Worldwide II,then the populairty trends and the most popular news will all about “Germany attacks Poland””America join the world war”things,no other type of news,that’s the fact right now in China,covid is like the world war II,everybody on the internet talk about it

The situation will recover in next few month but not Feb

Respectfully I am pretty experienced with covid wave trends by this point. With the way China opened so suddenly, + lack of effective vaccines, +omicron, the situation is a really horrible peak, but when you have such a large portion of a population being infected daily it simply can’t last for that long — people get infected, they are short term resistant to reinfection, R_t goes down. With this one starting in early dec it will be firmly on the downtrend by mid feb. Not to say zero covid problems everything back to normal, but much better than say last 4 weeks or next 2.

2 minutes ago, Mr Roark said:

Shang Chi will be one of the main characters in the new Avengers line up, alongside Strange, Spidey, Capt Marvel etc etc.

Anyway @Bruce why such hard feelings towards Shang Chi from China?

Asia in general doesn't like Shang-Chi, much like they tend to not like basically any (attempt at) representation of asian culture that comes out of hollywood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Evangelion 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time Streaming Announcement came under conflict after EVA Official Chinese Weibo 20 Jan 2023 Stream Date

For the first time, Theatrical rights has been heart-strickenly misused.

3c30cb2fgy1ha2nj9k8gbj21jk2feqv6.jpg

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

Antman 3 gonna release,almost certain

Probably the great sign for Marvel back to China,hope Marvel won’t doing something like Shang-chi again(Like Shang-chi join the Avengers or something….)

Wait what? Where has this come from? You heard something?

IF so that´s massive. I don´t really expect the movie to do well given the covid situation but Marvel getting a release would be massive for the brand in the future if China is willing to play a Marvel movie again. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

1721 shows for Jan 21

20 shows for Jan 22

13 shows for Jan 23

3 shows for Jan 24

7 shows for Jan 25

3 shows for Jan 26

4 shows for Jan 27

3 shows for Jan 28

2263 shows / Jan 21

30 shows / Jan 22

16 shows / Jan 23

3 shows / Jan 24

7 shows / Jan 25

3 shows / Jan 26

4 shows / Jan 27

4 shows / Jan 28

2 shows / Jan 29

2 shows / Jan 30

3 shows / Jan 31

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Bruce said:

Antman 3 gonna release,almost certain

Probably the great sign for Marvel back to China,hope Marvel won’t doing something like Shang-chi again(Like Shang-chi join the Avengers or something….)

shame

the ban was fun while it lasted

think this probably backs up the idea that china was just "grounding" the mcu for what they considered bad behaviour

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

shame

the ban was fun while it lasted

think this probably backs up the idea that china was just "grounding" the mcu for what they considered bad behaviour

this isn't a joke? guess some people online overestimate the importance of Marvel, or any particular business organization for this matter. China government censors movies based on contents and political considerations.     

6 minutes ago, teard1972 said:

China government censors movies based on contents and political considerations.     

my thinking was that after one misstep too many when it came the " contents and political considerations" of the movies they simply decided to ban all of phase 4..... "grounding"

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

my thinking was that after one misstep too many when it came the " contents and political considerations" of the movies they simply decided to ban all of phase 4..... "grounding"

...well, it's backward, it's not that China government targeting Marvel, it's that phase 4 is full of "questionable" contents, and it's not just China banned phase 4 stuff. Also, there might be casualties of political circumstance, even if content is fine. My point simply being neither Marvel nor any entertainment organization is special in the eyes of China government. 

read that the chinese goverment revealed that 60k have died from covid since december, which many believe might be a understatement but nevertheless is a dramatic increase from last early december where the running total for the 3 years was 5k, was that increase in the number of deaths obvious to the chinese population? will the goverment revealing them make a significant impact on peoples willingness to go the movies during CNY or was that already baked in?

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

read that the chinese goverment revealed that 60k have died from covid since december, which many believe might be a understatement but nevertheless is a dramatic increase from last early december where the running total for the 3 years was 5k, was that increase in the number of deaths obvious to the chinese population? will the goverment revealing them make a significant impact on peoples willingness to go the movies during CNY or was that already baked in?

Official statements also said and acknowledged that the 60k number is obviously low and an underestimation and that the way accurate death numbers will be known and published is by looking at excess mortality for these months a bit down the road. So i dont think the number given is an attempt to "fudge the numbers" , and mislead the people. People know that a shitton have died and the party admits the number given is a lowball . Its just a very conservative and strict estimation since actual hard numbers are hard to be calculated accurately during a peak of hundreds of millions of infections and with all the chaos going on

Edited by Gkalaitza
  • Like 2