A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

This weekend will have several big new releases(3 local +1 Thai) and re-issue of a One Piece movie.

But Alien R should have 20% of total showings of the market, will be disappointed if it not increase from OW.

Summer break still has 10 day left.

• Like 4

Genuine question - can someone explain to me:

- Why Romulus is breaking out so much in China?

- Why it's legs are projected to be so strong after just the opening weekend (I've seen $100m being discussed as a potential total), when my understanding is that the Chinese market is usually the opposite of leggy (particularly for Hollywood releases)

Thanks!

9 hours ago, solaris said:

Genuine question - can someone explain to me:

- Why Romulus is breaking out so much in China?

- Why it's legs are projected to be so strong after just the opening weekend (I've seen $100m being discussed as a potential total), when my understanding is that the Chinese market is usually the opposite of leggy (particularly for Hollywood releases)

Thanks!

I will let @Olive or @Gavin Feng answer 1st question. 

But China has 2 kinds of run. Movies that have 2x or even less legs if WOM is meh or worse. But we have had breakouts where movies have done 10x+ legs of OW. It used to be common pre COVID for big breakouts. Zootopia was one and there was many movies. Even Aquaman/Venom had a leggy run in China. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flip said:

I’m just guessing, but it might be because a lot of horror movies don’t get released in China, so Romulus might be tapping into the desire for more horror/monster movies

My thought here too. Probably the absence of supernatural horror made the "horrified" experience a novelty factor. 

Anyway, the movie seem slowing down a bit as the weekdays goes by, down another 18% from yesterday.

Lahn Mah will probably test how powerful Chinese WOM can works. The Thai Title has extreme strong WOM growth in any market just after release. Hong Kong/Taiwan might speaks different but Singapore is promising that Mainland China should work!

Currently, going with ¥11.5M OD Forecast / ¥111M Final Forecast per Maoyan! Let's see! Fingers Crossed!

11.64 billion of summer box office is the worst in 10 years outside of those 3 covid years. And it is quite a surprising downturn as there was no strike happened here in China.  

2013:5.9 billion

2014:9.1 billion

2015:12.5 billion

2016: 12 billion

2017:16.4 billion

2018:17.4 billion

2019:17.6 billion

2020:3.6 billion

2021:7.4 billion

2022:9.14 billion

2023:20.6 billion

17 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

11.64 billion of summer box office is the worst in 10 years outside of those 3 covid years. And it is quite a surprising downturn as there was no strike happened here in China.  

2013:5.9 billion

2014:9.1 billion

2015:12.5 billion

2016: 12 billion

2017:16.4 billion

2018:17.4 billion

2019:17.6 billion

2020:3.6 billion

2021:7.4 billion

2022:9.14 billion

2023:20.6 billion

I shared your post on local social media. People responded it by saying "we as audience instead of workers went on strike"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2