A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Question, who pays for a Hollywood film's marketing and distribution in China, the studio or the Chinese government? If it's the studio I don't see how most films are profiting on their Chinese release for the studio given that 25% share.

Edited by PDC1987

Question, who pays for a Hollywood film's marketing and distribution in China, the studio or the Chinese government? If it's the studio I don't see how most films are profiting on their Chinese release for the studio given that 25% share.

The Chinese distributor--CFG or Huaxia, or both--pays for distribution and marketing, though they tend to spend very little, 5-6 million RMB or so in many cases. The Hollywood studios have increasingly stepped in with their own marketing and advertising spends to augment the Chinese distributors' spending. These numbers can be substantial-- Paramount is said to be spending over $15 million in cash on TF4's advertising, and there will be tens of millions more in co-op advertising and 'soft dollar' promotion of the film.

• Like 4

Local movie protection, only local movies are release during holiday.

wow!  

Thanks for that.  I had no idea.  China really is an interesting market.

Too busy for making analysis and predictions for the coming May holiday. So I will just borrow the predictions from another observer for this week (4.28~5.4):

1. The Great Hypnotist ----- 178m ----- NEW

2. Classmate ----- 162m ------ 264m

3. ASM2 ----- 56m ---- NEW

4. Iceman ----- 55m ----- 124m

5. CA2 ------- 27m ------ 698m

• Like 3

Tuesday Est
Classmate............18.7M.............147M
Hypnotist..............18.1m.............new
Iceman.................5.3M................85M
CA2.....................,2.8M...............677M
Demon.................1.4M...............102M
Trans...................1.4M...............115M
Rio2.....................1.5M...............201M
  • Like 6

Surprisingly Classmate will be the biggest grosser of May holiday 2014. Should do stunning 450m+ with that kind of holds heading into holidays. At this point it is clear that nostalgic romances/comedies (So Young, American Dream in China, Classmate) can always hit big in China. Apparently audience flock to those movies.

Iceman not just flopped, but bombed. Hypnotist underwhelms with 15m OD.

Is there a release date for Transformers yet?

It's always 6.27.