A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

who brought them ... lol

Speaking of kids, I think Maleficent should easily open above 100m this weekend and fly past Oz despite TF4 will cut it in half. There has not been any major family movie in the market since Rio2.

Then again, Oz numebrs were weak :/ Anyone has Snow White/Alice numbers? (assuming they were released in China at all)

The Burton Alice made about ¥65m on its OW in 2010 and finished with ¥234m. I don't know what "Snow White" we're talking about here, since Disney hasn't made a live-action one yetthey mercifully canceled that kung-fu version set in 19th-century Chinabut Mirror Mirror opened as a buyout release in 2012 and did ¥30m in its first three days (¥44m total). Snow White and the Huntsman wasn't released.

Edited by Bob Violence
  • Like 1

Godzilla could have done 80 million+ if there wasn't TF4 coming. 

Anybody still think Hollywood is killing itself by releasing movies closely packed to each other?

Look at Disney with its Apr 4 release for CAP2. That's a smart decision

Anybody still think Hollywood is killing itself by releasing movies closely packed to each other?

Look at Disney with its Apr 4 release for CAP2. That's a smart decision

Hollywood does not decide it, China Film does, often by design, to pack them and cannibalize each other.

Hollywood does not decide it, China Film does, often by design, to pack them and cannibalize each other.

I am also talking about May 2014 schedule. A pair of hyped superhero movies, one big Disney movie, one giant monster movie within one week of each other. I feel that XMDOFP could do even better business if it stays out of the competition.

I am also talking about May 2014 schedule. A pair of hyped superhero movies, one big Disney movie, one giant monster movie within one week of each other. I feel that XMDOFP could do even better business if it stays out of the competition.

I see, but that's an age old thing.  Studios try to outdo each other all the time and hope the other guys fall.

Monday update

Godzilla 30.5M  260M

EOT 9.4M  322M

DOFP 2.4M 710M

With the 33M estimate, I thought that Godzilla will actually make it to 500m, but with the actuals, it again seems a bit difficult now.

By Thursday, it will be at 340m if it has good holds through the week. Friday will be the key and must be at least 20m, if it wants to have a shot at 500m.