A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, Olive said:

According to inside estimates, about 30% of IPM3's first two days gross is fudged...Shameless and unbelievable.

My first thought upon reading that is they might be fudging to compensate for releasing it so late when it should have opened during Christmas holidays. Sigh, it sucks that IM3 will now have a black mark to its name because of its shady box office.

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

With a 22-25M OD, how much is ZOOTP looking at in the OW? Haven't followed China's trends much but am thinking 80-85M? BH6 did ~90M.

It opened to 22m Yuan, about 3.5m$ and increased 180%+ on Saturday. OW is likely around 140m Yuan.

It also have one of the best (if not the best) ratings by audiences so far, i.e. very very strong WOM. Several posters here guess that its total may reach 1B Yuan (about 150m$)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

140M/650M($100M) on the floor

That's a great number.

21 minutes ago, XeOF4 said:

It opened to 22m Yuan, about 3.5m$ and increased 180%+ on Saturday. OW is likely around 140m Yuan.

It also have one of the best (if not the best) ratings by audiences so far, i.e. very very strong WOM. Several posters here guess that its total may reach 1B Yuan (about 150m$)

Yes I was also talking in Yuan. (BH6's OW was ~90M Yuan/13.8M USD).

Wow, 1B Yuan will be insane. Matching KFP3.

Zootopia US+China could end up close to 400M USD.

WOM is kicking in for Zootopia. Presales are already at 15M+ for Sunday higher than Saturday. Sunday at a minimum should be flat for Saturday and could see an increase. 145M+ OW and we'll see if it can make a run at 1B.

11 minutes ago, druv10 said:

WOM is kicking in for Zootopia. Presales are already at 15M+ for Sunday higher than Saturday. Sunday at a minimum should be flat for Saturday and could see an increase. 145M+ OW and we'll see if it can make a run at 1B.

KFP3 is gonna do 375M / 1B (nearly) so 145M+ / 1B for ZOOTP sounds mind-blowing.

KFP3 already had great legs. Do you think 1B for ZOOTP is realistic? BvS also will have some impact won't it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

KFP3 is gonna do 375M / 1B (nearly) so 145M+ / 1B for ZOOTP sounds mind-blowing.

KFP3 already had great legs. Do you think 1B for ZOOTP is realistic? BvS also will have some impact won't it.

KFP3 got screwed by release date. With normal release, it probably makes 1.5B.We'll know more over next few days. If it has super great WOM than holds will show that. As for BvS, it'll hurt Zootopia on the screen count but it's 3 weeks

away. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aristis said:

Will Zootopia benefit from any holiday? It's a kids-animation so it should fall steep on monday and will it increase so much next weekend? Will it get more showtimes? Which drop can be expected? Over under 70%?

Zoo tracking 15 % higher than yesterday. 

Typically a 75% drop can be expected on monday unless the older crowd is catching on.

It could get a few percent more shows next weekend, there is just one decent opener. Could hold flat or bump a bit. It has happened, TMK and "our times"in the past year were smaller openers that popped. WOM can cause a huge tidal wave in this market

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IMojammer said:

By my count Mermaid passed the equivalent of $500m today, March 5th.  And if I'm off by a hair then it will def pass it Sunday.

It made 2b when the rate was 6.58 for the first 8 days. Rate averaged 6.54 since then. 3.28b is probably about right. Might be Sunday morning

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

It made 2b when the rate was 6.58 for the first 8 days. Rate averaged 6.54 since then. 3.28b is probably about right. Might be Sunday morning

As I have said ,we just use the newest ER in CHIna.

I'm not in china. It's ludicrous to say FF7 did 372m and the year was 6.75B when it was 390m and 7B.  What's the point of using dollars and comparing to the domestic market if not accurate.   XR can move 10% in a week. Are "we"going to say Mermaid is at 450m next week? I'm not and I know you'll make a sudden exception to your "we" rule and say it was a $500m movie:D

Official exchange rates were 6.5314 before New Year holidays in China and 6.5118 after.

6.5284 for now. I used for my calculations 6.52. Deadline and some other western sources as well. 

Entgroup used 6.52 ER for first two weeks and suddenly jumped to 6.59 

web currency converters had 6.57-6.59 most of the time. 

And yes, using current exchange rates make no sense at all. 

http://www.china.org.cn/business/node_7074875.htm

• Like 1

Yup. X-rate. Com  had 6.58 for the first week of release then a big drop to 6.50 and a Flux at 6.52-6.55 mostly

Zoo already 2m over yesterday

We will sing a different tune when a local falls short of a key number due improper XR application. We shall see.

From Variety

Stephen Chow’s “The Mermaid” on Saturday became the first film ever to score more than half a billion dollars at the Chinese box office.

The film grossed $8.18 million on Saturday and ended the day with $502.9 million (RMB3.30 billion) according to data from Ent Group. It has achieved that score in 27 days of release since its outing on the first day of the Chinese New Year (aka Lunar New Year) holidays on Feb. 9.

• Like 2