A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Whoa, is there a need to be defensive? Have you seen the movie? Because I have and it's.. not good. But hey, whatever floats the audience's boat.

Also FYI it has a 5.9 rating on Douban. Not THAT much better. Actually the movies with the best WOM are the animated movie and Duckweed. I can see the animated movie gaining more showtimes in the coming days.

I could care less about KFY. I saw Mermaid last year, it was pretty bad so I generally don't watch Chinese movies. It was an observation about non stop discussion about fudging, it has held strong over the first 3 days.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, druv10 said:

I could care less about KFY. I saw Mermaid last year, it was pretty bad so I generally don't watch Chinese movies. It was an observation about non stop discussion about fudging, it has held strong over the first 3 days.

Fudging is being discussed because it's blatantly happening... every day and it was blatantly happening with Jackie's last movie too. Forgive us for not liking box office manipulation.

What is going on with Kung Fu Yoga. Both its Monday and Tuesday going to be larger than its opening day. Word of mouth must be better than what people on this thread were saying (or maybe the other movies showing are just absolute shit)

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

Tuesday estimates

before service charges
Kung Fu Yoga  -  141m / 531m
JTTW2 - 139m / 868m
Duckweed  -  65m / 248m
Buddies in India  -  65m / 447m
Entangled Worlds  -  43m / 203m

after service charges

Kung Fu Yoga  -  147.6m / 559m
JTTW2 - 146.8m / 910m
Duckweed  -  69m / 260m
Buddies in India  -  67m / 465m
Entangled Worlds  -  46m / 216m

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Tuesday estimates

before service charges
Kung Fu Yoga  -  141m / 531m
JTTW2 - 139m / 868m
Duckweed  -  65m / 248m
Buddies in India  -  65m / 447m
Entangled Worlds  -  43m / 203m

after service charges

Kung Fu Yoga  -  147.6m / 559m
JTTW2 - 146.8m / 910m
Duckweed  -  69m / 260m
Buddies in India  -  67m / 465m
Entangled Worlds  -  46m / 216m

yes 

kung fu yoga Rises

3 hours ago, eXtacy said:

What is going on with Kung Fu Yoga. Both its Monday and Tuesday going to be larger than its opening day. Word of mouth must be better than what people on this thread were saying (or maybe the other movies showing are just absolute shit)

Yeah kungfu yoga word of mouth seems just slightly better from the website ratings, but maybe in person it gets better.  Or the other movies are just that bad.

also you can find evidence for fudging like that for all movies so it's really not conclusive.

I watched JTTW2 this afternoon and it's a 100x better movie than Kung Fu Yoga, in plot, direction, entertainment value, comedy, etc but I can see why it wouldn't be deemed a family movie and why Kung Fu Yoga is preferred (this is of course assuming that KFY's numbers are legitimate). There are a lot of sexual puns, girls showing cleavage and scary demons in the film which would probably turn off parents watching with little children. I know a famous director (Xu Zheng, of Lost in Thailand and HK fame) also posted a warning on his Weibo regarding going to see the film with kids. And since CNY is a family holiday which means bringing the kids along to the movies, JTTW2 isn't the best film for the occasion. KFY on the other hand is a pretty mindless flick so it's easier to digest. Mermaid had one or two sexual jokes but they weren't things kids can understand or pick up plus it only had an octopus guy and mermaids so it wasn't scary. Shame though, movie was very enjoyable and it actually reminded me of Stephen's old canto movies. Hope it reaches 1.5B at least!

Edited by Polaroids

Conversely, the Jackie Chan-starring Kung Fu Yoga (CFI review here) is on the rise thanks to surprisingly strong word of mouth. A $65 million China-India coproduction, hoping to capture both markets, Kung Fu Yoga debuted in third place on its opening Saturday behind both The Demons Strike Back and the freewheeling kung fu comedy, Buddies In India, but quickly leapfrogged to second place and is projected to take the top spot on Tuesday and throughout the rest of the holiday. The film has now grossed RMB 390 million ($56.7 million) in three days.

Unfortunately, Kung Fu Yoga’s coup looks like something to file under “all is maya,” as its reported earnings are drawing accusations of fraud. Data from Maoyan’s real-time box office tracking app indicates Jackie Chan’s Sparkle Roll (Yaolai) Cinema Line, which operates 49 cinemas across 19 Chinese cities, allotted nearly 40 percent of Saturday’s showtimes to Kung Fu Yoga, hugely disproportionate to its 17 percent nationwide average. This manipulation in box office receipts follows hot on the heels of Chan and Sparkle Roll’s recent collaboration on Railroad Tigers, which exhibited similarly shady numbers.

--- China Film Insider

Jackie Chan’s Sparkle Roll (Yaolai) Cinema Line, which operates 49 cinemas across 19 Chinese cities, allotted nearly 40 percent of Saturday’s showtimes to Kung Fu Yoga, hugely disproportionate to its 17 percent nationwide average.

So are they cooking the books by falsely saying all showtimes are sold out? Or is it just that they are assigning a disproportionate amount of showtimes to KFY? The second one is legal, the first is not.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

So are they cooking the books by falsely saying all showtimes are sold out? Or is it just that they are assigning a disproportionate amount of showtimes to KFY? The second one is legal, the first is not.

It is likely to have first one, and it is “illegal”(because we don’t have film laws yet).

But according to Maoyan, Kung Fu Yoga only make ¥13.5m from Jackie Chan’s theater chain. The film have grossed ¥559m.

• Like 1

JTTW2 only stay on top for 3 days. WTF! It's so disappointed for a Stephen Chow + Tsui Hark 's film.

With this performance, it won't be the highest movie of the year, probably not even for local.

Jackie Chan-starring Kung Fu Yoga (CFI review here) is on the rise thanks to surprisingly strong word of mouth.

It's understandable that it can take over JTTW2 on its 4th day. 

Edited by Lihongkim

15 hours ago, Polaroids said:

I watched JTTW2 this afternoon and it's a 100x better movie than Kung Fu Yoga, in plot, direction, entertainment value, comedy, etc but I can see why it wouldn't be deemed a family movie and why Kung Fu Yoga is preferred (this is of course assuming that KFY's numbers are legitimate). There are a lot of sexual puns, girls showing cleavage and scary demons in the film which would probably turn off parents watching with little children. I know a famous director (Xu Zheng, of Lost in Thailand and HK fame) also posted a warning on his Weibo regarding going to see the film with kids. And since CNY is a family holiday which means bringing the kids along to the movies, JTTW2 isn't the best film for the occasion. KFY on the other hand is a pretty mindless flick so it's easier to digest. Mermaid had one or two sexual jokes but they weren't things kids can understand or pick up plus it only had an octopus guy and mermaids so it wasn't scary. Shame though, movie was very enjoyable and it actually reminded me of Stephen's old canto movies. Hope it reaches 1.5B at least!

chan is family man 

so kung fu yuga better movie 

6.2 imdb 

Journey to the West: 5.6 imdb 

22 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Maybe people realises that the movie has some of the hottest Bollywood actresses in the business