A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

If Friday is a working day why some movies increased today and other have small drops?

Many people won't be back to work until Monday.But movies will slow down from tomorrow.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Yep. 

All real-time apps from third party ticketing sites include service fees now. @Oliveany idea why or how 电影票房 is able to get numbers without service fees and how long that will continue? At some point, will they have to move over to the new system?

34 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

All real-time apps from third party ticketing sites include service fees now. @Oliveany idea why or how 电影票房 is able to get numbers without service fees and how long that will continue? At some point, will they have to move over to the new system?

电影票房 data is from SARFT

Friday estimates

before service charges
Kung Fu Yoga  -  120m / 954m
JTTW2 - 85m / 1,196m
Duckweed  -  65m / 460m
Buddies in India  -  34m / 588m
Entangled Worlds  -  29m / 312m

after service charges
Kung Fu Yoga  -  124m / 995m
JTTW2 - 89m / 1,242m
Duckweed  -  70m / 482m
Buddies in India  -  35m / 607m
Entangled Worlds  -  31m / 328m

• Like 6

I don't think KFY is gonna make big numbers in India. Indian reviews are already destroying the movie, all critics are giving it 1-2 stars. One even wanted to gave it a 0.5 rating.

Footnote: A 1-star rating is an act of kindness towards Kung Fu Yoga. Unfortunately, our software does not permit less than one, which is why you see the rating that you see at the start of this review. I meant to award a 0.5 star to the film.

- The First Post

Two 1/5 ratings from Hindustan Times (1, 2)

1.5/5 - Indian Express

2/5 - Times of India

2/5 - NDTV

2/5 - Koimoi

Roger Ebert also gave it a 1/4 while giving JTTW2 a 3/4. It's currently also lower than JTTW2 on Douban now that more people are seeing it. One has to wonder how it's getting such a high rating on Maoyan and Gewara when it's regarded as a bad movie everywhere else.

Edited by Polaroids
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

I don't think KFY is gonna make big numbers in India. Indian reviews are already destroying the movie, all critics are giving it 1-2 stars. One even wanted to gave it a 0.5 rating.

- The First Post

1.5/5 - Indian Express

2/5 - Times of India

2/5 - NDTV

2/5 - Koimoi

Roger Ebert also gave it a 1/4 while giving JTTW2 a 3/4. It's currently also lower than JTTW2 on Douban now that more people are seeing it. One has to wonder how it's getting such a high rating on Maoyan and Gewara when it's regarded as a bad movie everywhere else.

General audiences have very different standards than critics. It's the most family-friendly film released during a time when families go to the theater seeking entertainment over substance.

Also, cultural stereotypes criticized by Indian and American critics would go unnoticed by most of the general Chinese public.

Not saying the movie is good by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes sense why it's popular over there.

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

- The First Post

1.5/5 - Indian Express

2/5 - Times of India

2/5 - NDTV

2/5 - Koimoi

Almost none of Chinese movie did good outside of China. So it's not new. It's bad but it should be very entertaining. If not, it could be like Buddies in India. 

If you are not a fan of any cast, I doubt no one wants to watch Chinese movie. Jackie Chan is still the most well-known Chinese actor outside of China. I doubt fan will care much about the rating. Good or bad, his scene still makes everyone laugh tbh.  

Just forget how bad it is, let just talking about its box office performance. Most of your comments sound so negative toward KFY tbh. The film is not the only bad CNY released, even the record-breaking JTTW2 didn't have good rating too.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jiangsen said:

General audiences have very different standards than critics. It's the most family-friendly film released during a time when families go to the theater seeking entertainment over substance.

Also, cultural stereotypes criticized by Indian and American critics would go unnoticed by most of the general Chinese public.

Not saying the movie is good by any stretch of the imagination, but it makes sense why it's popular over there.

Oh, I got that. I even posted something to that effect some time ago. I just think the ratings on those sites are misrepresenting the movie and I actually saw a lot of the audiences were disappointed.

7 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Almost none of Chinese movie did good outside of China. So it's not new. It's bad but it should be very entertaining. If not, it could be like Buddies in India. 

If you are not a fan of any cast, I doubt no one wants to watch Chinese movie. Jackie Chan is still the most well-known Chinese actor outside of China. I doubt fan will care much about the rating. Good or bad, his scene still makes everyone laugh tbh.  

Just forget how bad it is, let just talking about its box office performance. Most of your comments sound so negative toward KFY tbh. The film is not the only bad CNY released, even the record-breaking JTTW2 didn't have good rating too.     

Well everybody knows Buddies in India is a bad movie and both Duckweed and the Bears movie have good ratings so I didn't bring them up. I'm bringing up KFY because it's an interesting situation and I actually watched the movie and know how awful it is (was expecting to be mildly entertained but ended up annoyed) so seeing it win the box office over a better film by accomplished filmmakers is frustrating to say the least. 

But yeah, I'm beating a dead horse here. I posted the Indian reviews because I know some people here were wondering about its potential to make money in India.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Polaroids said:

- The First Post

1.5/5 - Indian Express

2/5 - Times of India

2/5 - NDTV

2/5 - Koimoi

Where to see India's box office?

And Hindi for their action films that are bad to pay more attention

Action movies like Jackie Chan film in the history of Indian cinema was not

I read the reviews

More objections were not used in the movie Yoga

And the low score

Edited by ahadm8888

16 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Oh, I got that. I even posted something to that effect some time ago. I just think the ratings on those sites are misrepresenting the movie and I actually saw a lot of the audiences were disappointed.

Well everybody knows Buddies in India is a bad movie and both Duckweed and the Bears movie have good ratings so I didn't bring them up. I'm bringing up KFY because it's an interesting situation and I actually watched the movie and know how awful it is (was expecting to be mildly entertained but ended up annoyed) so seeing it win the box office over a better film by accomplished filmmakers is frustrating to say the least. 

But yeah, I'm beating a dead horse here. I posted the Indian reviews because I know some people here were wondering about its potential to make money in India.

I just want to say, that because you find it a worse movie doesn't make it a worse movie. It's just one opinion, that doesn't even account for you being biased against JC so to be fair, honestly you opinion is even less valuable then the average one. If the goal was to get a objecive stance on the movie, wich is imposible cause liking a movie is subjective. And no my opinion isn't worth anything as well. Just wanted to share some toughts. you can do what ever with them.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1