A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

2 hours ago, POTUS said:

Dangal is going to reach 300m by next Thursday and should hold screens next weekend with little competition.  400m possible

300m should happen by sunday. its probably keeping at least 15% showtimes for friday and will comfortably be number 1(its already leading presales). I see its friday hit at least 30m. Saturday 60m and sunday 50m for 140m. So it should be at 430m by sunday and 500m by thursday. Week later it should have hit 600m and then Pirates takes over most of the showtimes. It should beat your name and doreman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

300m should happen by sunday. its probably keeping at least 15% showtimes for friday and will comfortably be number 1(its already leading presales). I see its friday hit at least 30m. Saturday 60m and sunday 50m for 140m. So it should be at 430m(330m) by sunday and 500m(400m) by thursday. Week later it should have hit 600m(500m) and then Pirates takes over most of the showtimes. It should beat your name and doreman.

Ftfy

I was being conservative in case it doesn't bump much with screen loss. I could see your scenario happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Will Guardians make it to 100M USD?

I highly doubt that atm. It needs a good friday increase to have a chance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Well, if China extend it's run, then yeah.

It's a shame it didn't do better, though.

I dont think run extension matters if it does not have many showtimes.

2 hours ago, peludo said:

That means 690m Yuan. Some people here are saying 600-650 range, so not likely.

Now I feel 600m is high end. its dropping every day and tomorrow its losing 70% of screens(from last friday). I feel it might drop a bit from today as PS is lower compared to yesterday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

why is to so bad. BvS was expected. Guardians 2 douban score is quite good so why is its legs so bad?

I think reviews and scores should be looked at... on a relative basis. Not absolute basis.

What i mean is..

GOTG2 has high maoyan score and douban score.. but relative to Dangal it is considered the "less good" movie.

Same case as Ip Man 3 and Zootopia. Ip Man 3 is one of the best Chinese film I have ever watched but same release date as Zootopia.. so on a relative basis - if people can only watch 1 movie.. they choose the better film.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think run extension matters if it does not have many showtimes.

Now I feel 600m is high end. its dropping every day and tomorrow its losing 70% of screens(from last friday). I feel it might drop a bit from today as PS is lower compared to yesterday.

So it can drop even in Yuan relative to first part (596m if I am not wrong)

• Like 1

I'm surprised that to see GOTG2 not doing very great in china, the 1st one was already near $100m, no much improvement from the 1st is a bit disappointing.....

Not to mention furious 8 grossed nearly $400m and resident evil/xxx all well passed $100m+ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I'm surprised that to see GOTG2 not doing very great in china, the 1st one was already near $100m, no much improvement from the 1st is a bit disappointing.....

Not to mention furious 8 grossed nearly $400m and resident evil/xxx all well passed $100m+ 

Not only no improvement. It could drop in both Yuan and dollars...

31 minutes ago, peludo said:

So it can drop even in Yuan relative to first part (596m if I am not wrong)

It should make 80m this weekend. 120m for the week.  570m next Thursday with weak releases following . 610-625m should happen.

40 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

why is to so bad. BvS was expected. Guardians 2 douban score is quite good so why is its legs so bad?

30% more seats since BvS allow it to be be more frontloaded like what happened with FF8. The real question is why it didn't improve 40% with the market since GotG1 and beat BvS with a larger OW and total.  I don't think Dangal and GotG2 have exactly the same audience. I think sequels and comics are experiencing exhaustion outside of its core base

Dangal 14% of shows

GotG2  12.9%

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2

Thu estimates

before service charges
Dangal  -  24.3m / 170.9m(-3.6%)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  18.6m / 424.5m(-22%)

What a Wonderful Family  -  7.99m
Shock Wave  -  3.39m / 352.3m
Fate of the Furious  - 2.71m / 2,515m
Battle of Memories  -  1.69m / 271.4m

after service charges

Dangal  -  26.3m / 186m
Guardians of the Galaxy 2  -  19.1m / 449.6m

What a Wonderful Family  -  8.6m
Shock Wave  -  3.65m / 379.2m
Fate of the Furious  - 2.9m / 2,667m
Battle of Memories  -  1.8m / 285.3m

• Like 5