A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Any help with this appreciated, I maybe dealing with misinformation or have no knowledge of important factors.

When Avatar was released in 2010 it got all it's 2D screens cut (two thirds of the total screens).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/avatar-pulled-from-2d-screens-by-chinese-government.html

"The movie will remain on nearly 900 3-D screens, which have so far generated $49 million, or 64% of its total ticket sales, according to Fox."

Using the above when the 2D was cut the run had grossed $76.6m total from all screens, so the remaining ~$127m came from 3D screenings. If the same ratio of 3D to 2D sales held up then that's approximately $70m that Avatar lost out on.

Does this sound right, am I missing something? I'm surprised by it because I've never heard it talked about before.

EDIT: Found a nice site following jan 2010 http://www.boxofficefollower.com/2010/01/

seems as though an unknown number of 2d screens were given back to Avatar, so Avatar may have only gone 3-4 days without 2d screens. This info is so hard to get hold of.

Edited by IronJimbo

14 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Any help with this appreciated, I maybe dealing with misinformation or have no knowledge of important factors.

When Avatar was released in 2010 it got all it's 2D screens cut (two thirds of the total screens).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/01/avatar-pulled-from-2d-screens-by-chinese-government.html

"The movie will remain on nearly 900 3-D screens, which have so far generated $49 million, or 64% of its total ticket sales, according to Fox."

Using the above when the 2D was cut the run had grossed $76.6m total from all screens, so the remaining ~$127m came from 3D screenings. If the same ratio of 3D to 2D sales held up then that's approximately $70m that Avatar lost out on.

Does this sound right, am I missing something? I'm surprised by it because I've never heard it talked about before.

EDIT: Found a nice site following jan 2010 http://www.boxofficefollower.com/2010/01/

seems as though an unknown number of 2d screens were given back to Avatar, so Avatar may have only gone 3-4 days without 2d screens. This info is so hard to get hold of.

Nobody cares what's the 3D share of a movie ten years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Xiaoshu said:

God! the movie version of ipartment already has 16M in presale, much higher than The Meg. Should be another huge frontload?

I predict a total less than 4x OD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Rock had 3 releases this year! Seems to be some kind of record isn't it? Only Hollywood actor to have 3 releases in same calendar year in China?

All three doing above 75m which is pretty decent !

7 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Rock had 3 releases this year! Seems to be some kind of record isn't it? Only Hollywood actor to have 3 releases in same calendar year in China?

"Record" like those will always be a bit fuzzy, Sam Jackson was in 3 movie released in 2017 in China, Hitman Bodyguard, Kong, xXx.

Morgan Freeman in 2016:

Ben Hur, Now you see me 2, London Has Fallen.

For actor taking a lot of supporting actor gig in franchise, we could probably come with a small list.

MM2 may not hit $1m. It's China/Worldwide gross ratio will be one of the lowest for any (foreign) film released in China.

update: MM2 tracking to open $300k OW :hahaha:

Despite all, many theaters are putting it on IMAX for very high price, and these IMAX screenings each thus far has just sold one or two tickets if not at all. 

Edited by firedeep
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

Nothing big opening tomorrow but 6 releases will take up 50%+ of shows

SS will struggle to reach $100m with this show loss

MM2 has just 1.3% of shows.  $300k sounds right

Mr billionaire is having standard drops, It will reach 2.3b next Thursday but will run into major comedy competition next Friday and may fall short of 3b.

Apartment of love at 45m PS already.  Opening is looking to be larger than MrB

The Island  PS are at 11.5m

The Meg PS are doing well with 7m.

Next friday's BO could be over Y600m /$87m, a big non holiday amount

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

Through Aug 1, 2018 yearly box office reached 39.2B, of which imported films has collectively achived just a 35% market share. Foreign revenue decreased. Increase comes only from local titles.

Looking at Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, only AM2, MI6, FB2 and maybe Ralph2 has a shot at $100m+. For more than two decades, year end market of imports will dip below 30%.

• Like 2