A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Original one had 9.2 (~2.64M) in Maoyan & 7.9 (~1.76M) in Douban, grossing ¥4688M (105,075,344 admits from 249,887 anticipated fans)

At present, Wandering Earth 2 has ~16K anticipated fans &is scheduled for 2023 Spring Festival (22/01/2023) I guess $1000M happening for sure (50:50 certainty (?))

Edited by Issac Newton

On 4/9/2022 at 11:48 PM, BruiseCruise said:

Marvel got banned most likely cause of Liu/Zhao,they let other Disney stuff in( free guy, Encanto, jungle cruise) avatar got a re-release their just last summer so it will surely get one for the sequel. 

It's such an irony that Marvel eff  themselves by hiring Liu/Zhao, it was supposed to be an act of attempting to pander to the mainland :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friday Estimates:

#1 Ambulance : ¥2.9M 🆕

#2 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥2.7M (¥102.5M)

#3 Man On The Edge : ¥2.6M (¥54.2M)

#4 Hotel Transylvania 4 : ¥1M (¥53.6M)

#5 Drishyam : ¥0.9M (¥7.3M)

Others (Total)

Uncharted (¥115M), The Batman (¥145M), Moonfall (¥132M), Escape Room 2 (¥44M).

I am thinking about ¥25M-¥30M OW for Ambulance 🚑

Edited by Issac Newton

Saturday Estimates:

#1 Fantastic Beasts 3 : ¥5.9M / ¥108.9M (+1)

#2 Man On The Edge : ¥3.9M / ¥58.1M (+1)

#3 Ambulance : ¥3.7M / ¥6.6M (-2)

#4 Hotel Transylvania 4 : ¥3.5M / ¥57.1M

#5 Drishyam : ¥1.8M / ¥9.1M

Okay, I guess I over-the-counter Ambulance. Let's try ¥9M+ OW

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/22/2022 at 6:33 AM, YourCake said:

It's such an irony that Marvel eff  themselves by hiring Liu/Zhao, it was supposed to be an act of attempting to pander to the mainland :rofl:

Its funny bc DC could take an advantage of  Marvel ban, but they have their own problems with actors, the brand is hurt (wonder woman being terrible received), and even the batman did ok (considering pandemic ofc)

4 hours ago, Mau said:

Its funny bc DC could take an advantage of  Marvel ban, but they have their own problems with actors, the brand is hurt (wonder woman being terrible received), and even the batman did ok (considering pandemic ofc)

Yeah, I've read similar things on Weibo, some even said the local bureau knew DC films won't make much anw even in the normal time so they just allow them to release there. And especially with the real Avatar coming, the cheap copy of Avatar's design concepts (aka. Aquaman) won't make much of a difference for DC overall. But tbh I think China and Marvel will eventually reconcile anw, similar to how China banned Avatar in its first run but they resolved their relationship later on.

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Cinema halls are re-opening. Operational has exceeded 50%. Should pass 60% by May 1.

3c30cb2fgy1h1krlmz96aj20n010xtdv.jpg

Good for holdovers because alot of local films are escaping from May 1.. they want full capacity before opening.

The Batman is earning more this weekend than last weekend.. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Good for holdovers because alot of local films are escaping from May 1.. they want full capacity before opening.

The Batman is earning more this weekend than last weekend.. 

I see "Fight! Mom" 《出拳吧!妈妈》arriving at 30 April 2022. How was the reception of this film in 2021 Shanghai Film festival?

6b17116egy1h1kpwvu0y0j20u0193e0y.jpg

DC rules. At some point, I thought "Moonfall" is going to crash "The Batman" I guess with Cinema Re-opening in each Weekend, box office will be growing back in multiple! A good sign for better future.

Today marks the third "anniversary" of the release of Endgame in China. "I love you three thousand" has been trending #1 on Weibo for several hours now. Gosh I miss the days when we could go to Marvel midnight showings... [Crying out loud]

Edited by LeoC
typo
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

Is there no hope for  DSITMOM?

Or subsequent MCU films for that matter?

Dr. Strange 2 was in review since 03/18.

I won't say there isn't any hope. Because Original movie also got released when Disney agreed to remove "Tibet" context from Ancient One.

Well, it's the last hope, to conclude future of MCU in Mainland China.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newbie BO buff said:

Is there no hope for  DSITMOM?

Or subsequent MCU films for that matter?

It is almost a certainty that DS will not release in China, and I think there is a high likelihood that no MCU movie from this year releases there either. In the long run however I am fairly sure that MCU movies will return though I am unsure when that would be. China has done this before as well with movies from Japan/SK and the likes. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

China has done this before as well with movies from Japan/SK and the likes. 

Keep Japan out of your context /jk

Japanese Movie got banned due to Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands conflict between Shin Ultra man (2009) and Stand By Me 2 Doraemon (2015) Chinese Distributor largely believe on Japanese Anime Film success. So, even after 3, 18 or 40 years, Japanese Anime Film attract Chinese Audience to big screen. Tentative Release Dates for popular franchise like One Piece, Conan and Doraemon are within 6-months including for Shinkai movies. Rest of the works appear with in 3 years, excluding the Live-action films.

Releasing Japanese Film in Mainland China is easy if your print doesn't include blood smearing, sexism or sUiciDe. 

If Sony/Disney ignore piracy issue. I believe Phase IV films can still earn millions in later dates. (Ignore Shang Chi and Eternals). But someone need to drop the stick for proper negotiation. Or else, you know what likely gonna happen.

6 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

If Sony/Disney ignore piracy issue. I believe Phase IV films can still earn millions in later dates. (Ignore Shang Chi and Eternals). But someone need to drop the stick for proper negotiation. Or else, you know what likely gonna happen.

I am happy that Marvel has not backed off just because a regressive overly sensitive neurotic government got their feelings hurt by a few comments which were absolutely true. And I hope Marvel does not back off in the future either

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2