A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

How much A2 can add after this weekend (with the expansion) ?

¥960K WED Day 62 - ¥905K THU Day 63 - ¥537K FRI Day 64 - Total - ¥2.402M 

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

And what is Maoyan forecast ?

¥1688.685M

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

I saw on twitter that maybe Titanic could be re-released in China

We had same news for Avatar back in 2022. But, didn't happen until Avatar: The Way Of Water was released. And Cinity played Avatar (2009) to promote Way Of Water.

Avatar (2022 Re-release) - ¥301K ($44K)

1 hour ago, LPLC said:

do you think it's possible ?

They need to send copy to pass censorship.

But, like Avatar (2022 Re-release), Disney/Fox didn't consider sending the film for Chinese Release because of two reasons (specifically) - 

1. Crowded Valentine Day

2. Marvel Film "Antman 3" was supposed to get a Chinese Release date as same as the US.

But, today I would think that Titanic would have done better numbers then both Wakanda Forever &Quantumania combined.

18 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

I wonder why No Way Home has such a low score on Chinese review sites. It's the only country where the movie has scores that low.

Spiderman is not a legacy franchise in China, so the nostalgia play didn't fly for Chinese audience. The first spiderman movies did very poorly, the second is better but not a smash, Chinese audience only love the third spiderman.

Seeing it on small screen also hurts its watching experience. People would more likely ignore the vfxs and focus on the screenplay and characterization, NWH's screenplay is very bad and the characters are OOC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GipJo said:

Spiderman is not a legacy franchise in China, so the nostalgia play didn't fly for Chinese audience. The first spiderman movies did very poorly, the second is better but not a smash, Chinese audience only love the third spiderman.

Seeing it on small screen also hurts its watching experience. People would more likely ignore the vfxs and focus on the screenplay and characterization, NWH's screenplay is very bad and the characters are OOC.

Well Tobey Maguire Spiderman is the nostalgia in China,Same popular as Harry Potter in 00s by box office performence.

Edited by Sophia Jane

10 hours ago, LPLC said:

How much A2 can add after this weekend (with the expansion) ? And what is Maoyan forecast ?

I saw on twitter that maybe Titanic could be re-released in China but later, do you think it's possible ?

There is a huge backlog of domestic movies waiting for release in China so the chances of a Titanic re-release getting an adequate number of showings is slim to none. Besides, Hollywood has a limited quota in China, why would Disney waste it on a re-release which won’t even generate anything above a million dollars for them in China. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:44 PM, Clear Sky Master said:

Looks like the South Korean film and tv shows blackout in China is finally subsiding. Good to see the relationship between the two nations getting back to near normal. 

not just marvel & korean entertainment comeback, restrictions will also loosen for china boys love and horror genre

4 hours ago, Clear Sky Master said:

There is a huge backlog of domestic movies waiting for release in China so the chances of a Titanic re-release getting an adequate number of showings is slim to none. Besides, Hollywood has a limited quota in China, why would Disney waste it on a re-release which won’t even generate anything above a million dollars for them in China. 

I think Titanic would have made some millions in China especially during this period (Valentine's Day). Don't forget that the 2012 release made $145M, so I think Chinese people love Titanic

What has changed that caused these MCU movies to gross low. At this point COVID is not that much of a factor looking at CNY grosses. But these MCU's have lost most of their audience. I definitely expected Ant 3 with day and date release to come close to 100m china when it got the release date. Even BP2 despite late release should have done better. At hey dey Titanic re-release did like 165million !!!

We are like back to 2010 for these SH movies. I wonder what will change. I am waiting for Transformers this summer to breakout. May be Little Mermaid or Mario can break out as well. 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What has changed that caused these MCU movies to gross low. At this point COVID is not that much of a factor looking at CNY grosses. But these MCU's have lost most of their audience. I definitely expected Ant 3 with day and date release to come close to 100m china when it got the release date. Even BP2 despite late release should have done better. At hey dey Titanic re-release did like 165million !!!

We are like back to 2010 for these SH movies. I wonder what will change. I am waiting for Transformers this summer to breakout. May be Little Mermaid or Mario can break out as well. 

Nothing just the monopoly of English Titles has finally ended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xieh tie said:

not just marvel & korean entertainment comeback, restrictions will also loosen for china boys love and horror genre

I can understand horror films and tv shows being let back in but “boys love”? I don’t see that happening anytime soon especially with the falling birth rates in China. Anyway, Boys love genre is not really my cup of tea but i did like “Heavens Official Blessings” and “Mo Dao Zu Shi” donghuas. 

Edited by Clear Sky Master