A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

How does Barbie have pretty good WoM in China? Would've assumed the humor wouldn't have translated well.

Yeah it's one of the most unexpected box office occurences about this movie yet. I actually find it amazing that the movie resonated so well with chinese women, that's really something that you just can't predict.

2 hours ago, Agafin said:

Yeah it's one of the most unexpected box office occurences about this movie yet. I actually find it amazing that the movie resonated so well with chinese women, that's really something that you just can't predict.

That’s the funny of being box office follower,you never know what’s happened to the market,Mission Impossible VII failed in China and Barbie will succeed,this is just unbelievable,what everybody expected is Barbie will be next little mermaid and MI7 will be highest grossing HLW of the year.

10 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

That’s the funny of being box office follower,you never know what’s happened to the market,Mission Impossible VII failed in China and Barbie will succeed,this is just unbelievable,what everybody expected is Barbie will be next little mermaid and MI7 will be highest grossing HLW of the year.

They want relatively "fresh" concept. They have seen MI before. Barbie is a unique beast. 

19 hours ago, Agafin said:

Pretty funny that it got around the Simu Liu factor too

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty funny that it got around the Simu Liu factor too

To be fair, I watched the movie yesterday and forgot that Simu Liu was in it till I read this comment. He's just mega forgettable in his role.

• Like 1

Highest Grossing HLW movie so far

1 FastX 983m

2 Transformer VII 651m

3 GOTG Vol 3 606m

4 Spiderman Animation 356m

5 M:I VII 301m

6 Ant man III 272m

7 The Flash 185m

8 Super Mario Bro 171m

9 Elemental 113m

10 BP2 106m

This is literally one of the worst year for HLW,even 100m movie could land in top 10 of the year

Even turn the time back to 10 years ago is better

2013 Top 10 highest grossing HLW movie

1 Iron man III 754m

2 Pacific rim 695m

3 Gravity 435m

4 Fast Furious 6 413m

5 The Croods 396m

6 Superman:Man of Steel  394m

7 Skyfall 376m

8 Star Trek II 352m

9 Jurassic Park 3D 349m

10 Thor II 342m

The Last time a ¥100m can land in top 10 is 2010 

1 Avatar 1403m

2 Inception 446m

3 Alice in Wonderland 211m

4 The Expandables 199m

5 Iron man II 186m

6 Harry Potter VII 183m

7 Clash of Titans 174m

8 Prince of Perisia 163m

9 Resident in Evil IV 123m

10 Toy Story III 117m

Edited by Sophia Jane

God damn, What a cut throat market place. Super Family(?) going from #2 to out of the top 5 in a matter of 2-3 days.

Barbie's gain I guess. If it doesn't satisfy them, Chinese BO will drop movies faster than the speed of light. Anybody know if screen allocation is being run by an algorithm? 

31 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It seems to me that MI7 was pretty much capped in this market. It opened 10 times less theatres than THE FLASH. 17x less theatres than FAST X and TF. It had a good PTA, just wasn't screened in enough cinemas.

How can you tell?

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It actually had one of the best PTA this weekend despite dropping 80%. It's because they just pulled it from cinemas. $1,000 in 4899 theatres. That's a pretty good number.

I mean where do you find the PTA?