A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I don't think this is much of a problem as I've noticed they've been introducing fresh, young faces in films now and giving them lead or prominent roles. A lot of young TV actors are also transitioning to become lead film actors like Li Yifeng (Forever Young), Tang Yan (The Three Body Problem), Yang Yang (The Left Ear) and several others. Not to mention China's current craze for fresh meats and idols becoming film actors too like Kris Wu (Somewhere Only We Know, Fading Wave, So Young 2, Guo Jingming's L.O.R.D.), Lu Han (20 Once Again, I Am A Witness, Great Wall). Unknowns like Lin Yun (Stephen Chow's Mermaid, L.O.R.D) are also being pushed right now. I don't think it's going to be a problem since China itself is ready for the young generation to take over in films.

They don't match A list at all now.Most of them are even not actors before.Maybe most of those fresh faces are like Justin bieber or one directions,have many crazy fans for one or two year.don't have any potential to be a great actor or star.Most audiences don't accept those teen idols.They are just teen idols,can't make A list.So still lack suitable actor for Chinese films.with expending market,there will be many chances for fresh faces of course,but not teen idols without any acting skills Edited by bangbingchan

I don't think this is much of a problem as I've noticed they've been introducing fresh, young faces in films now and giving them lead or prominent roles. A lot of young TV actors are also transitioning to become lead film actors like Li Yifeng (Forever Young), Tang Yan (The Three Body Problem), Yang Yang (The Left Ear) and several others. Not to mention China's current craze for fresh meats and idols becoming film actors too like Kris Wu (Somewhere Only We Know, Fading Wave, So Young 2, Guo Jingming's L.O.R.D.), Lu Han (20 Once Again, I Am A Witness, Great Wall). Unknowns like Lin Yun (Stephen Chow's Mermaid, L.O.R.D) are also being pushed right now. I don't think it's going to be a problem since China itself is ready for the young generation to take over in films.

True but it still seems the young generation stars are coming out slower than expected.

The Chinese audience are so loyal to their celebrity idols. For example, guys like Richie Ren and Miriam Yeung are still considerably big stars even though they haven't had a hit in nearly a decade. Chou Yun-fat and Jackie Chan, being over 60 years old, are still carrying some of the biggest (homegrown) movies every year, while in Hollywood, these years you usually find Bruce Willis, Arnold, Stallone only in limited releases or even in DVD movies.

The next HLW big movies are expected late August or early September in the earliest.

This summer has shaping up to be even more sluggish than thought, with average box office per screen decreasing as much as 30~40%, offsetting all the advantages the first five months had gained.

If only there were two or three HLW big movies in July and August ... the repulsive SARFT  :angry:

That said.

Detective Gui, directed by Oxide Pang Chun, starring Wang Luodan and Vic Chou just escaped the second week of Monster Hunt (Jul 16) and Jian Bing Man (Jul 17) ——which are getting real solid WOM.

DG will now face Bai Baihe and Daniel Wu's Go away Mr. tumour on August. While Tang Wei's Only You is still on July 24.

Dante Lam's To The Fore is having an excellent compaign. while Ringo Lam's Wild City (Hustle) has seen little promotion after a terrible "money" trailer. Could be underperforming ...

Ni Ni and Angela baby's Bride Wars has hit written all over it.

16-Jul Monster Hunt
17-Jul Jian Bing Man
17-Jul Shaun the Sheep Movie
24-Jul Only You
30-Jul Wild City
30-Jul Yang Gui Fei
31-Jul The Crossing II
Aug Pixels
7-Aug To The Fore
13-Aug Dectective Gui
13-Aug Go away Mr. tumour
20-Aug Bride Wars
20-Aug Cities In Love
20-Aug A Journey, through Time, with Anthony
14-Aug Tim to Love
27-Aug The Assinassin
27-Aug The Dead End
28-Aug Tale of Three Cities

Chaotic but poor slate through end of summer.

BoxOffice.com Weekly Preview

Weekend predictions: Tiny Times 4.0 - $35M,($75m+) Forever Young - $18M($65m+), Monkey King: Hero is Back - $15M, Monk Comes Down The Mountain - $8M, I Am Somebody - $2.5M

Just when things were looking bad it turns around. Today is going to be huge. Tiny Times and Forever Young going to do over 120m/$20m each today. Could be a 300m day, 1B weekend

Record Friday/weekend?

10am Update

TT 140m+

FY 130m+

MK  32m

Monk 10m

This weekends performance, if it holds up, will bring July from -35% to +15% compared to last year

Edited by M F Lawrence

They don't match A list at all now.Most of them are even not actors before.Maybe most of those fresh faces are like Justin bieber or one directions,have many crazy fans for one or two year.don't have any potential to be a great actor or star.Most audiences don't accept those teen idols.They are just teen idols,can't make A list.So still lack suitable actor for Chinese films.with expending market,there will be many chances for fresh faces of course,but not teen idols without any acting skills

I don't think you can easily say that especially when you see these people starring in films that are doing really well. Their "crazy fans" comprise of the younger generation and the people from that generation are already starting to work and earn money and thus can pay for tickets and whatnot. Several of them are solidifying their places and becoming hot topics among the public too - not just their fans. Li Yifeng even entered the Forbes Top 10 for 2014. I don't know how you can say that teen idols can't make A list when a lot of the current A listers were teen idols. 

I don't think you can easily say that especially when you see these people starring in films that are doing really well. Their "crazy fans" comprise of the younger generation and the people from that generation are already starting to work and earn money and thus can pay for tickets and whatnot. Several of them are solidifying their places and becoming hot topics among the public too - not just their fans. Li Yifeng even entered the Forbes Top 10 for 2014. I don't know how you can say that teen idols can't make A list when a lot of the current A listers were teen idols.

I don't think their performance are very "well". many idols don't have any acting experience before.they are singers,dancers except actors.bad lines,bad performance.

without major audiences,teen idols are just teen idols.Teenagers may love these idols very very crazily now.When new fresh faces appear,They turn round and love another one.They are similar to teen idols before.If they don't have any special charming or acting skills,they will not be Alist. Jennifer laurence is not just a teen idol but also a oscar winner.Nobody care Robert Pattinson or JustinBieber now.They once were very popular.Chinese people have very traditional taste about alist stars.yeah young generation may have more chances in five or ten years.but I still don't think those teen idols can make it.

Edited by bangbingchan

Friday Estimates
1). Forever Young ¥99.7M/cume: 102M($16.4m) 
2). Tiny Times 4  ¥94M/cume: 206M($33.2M) 
3). Monkey King: Hero is Back ¥18.5M/cume: 28.3M($4.55M) 
4). Monk Comes Down The Mountain ¥11.2M/cume: 345M($55.5M)
5). Hollywood Adventure¥1.1M/cume: 318M($51.1M)
  • Like 3

Looks like MFL got a little carried away with early numbers ;)

The numbers were huge in the morning and midday, I usually get the early projections within 5% based on multipliers at certain times of day. Summer Friday may be a bit a different than the data I have or presales are higher skewing the numbers.

Or.... the site went down. I noticed the number only went up 10% after 5pm, last I checked. They should have gone up 50%

wait until actuals

They both look to be at 150+ today as well based on AOU and several other movies at 8am on sat

5x multiplier has been consistent. they are at TT 34.6m and FY 30.5

TT170m

FY154m

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 1

Sunday

Tiny Times 4 : 74m / 358m
Forever Young : 73m / 254m
TMK : Hero is back : 39m / 95m
Monk : 14m / 380m
SPL 2 : 1.4m / 557m
HA : 1.1m / 320m

weekend total

fri  228m

sat  226m

sun  224m

tot 678

$110m weekend

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 2

Sunday

Tiny Times 4 : 74m / 358m

Forever Young : 73m / 254m

TMK : Hero is back : 39m / 95m

Monk : 14m / 380m

SPL 2 : 1.4m / 557m

HA : 1.1m / 320m

TMK, wom must be great.

Tiny Times 4 maybe still box office hit this weekend, it's extended version (20 minutes more) will release July. 16.

Monster Hunt & Jian Bing Man release this weekend.

Monster Hunt 5.7m preview.

Edited by Lihongkim

TMK, wom must be great.

Tiny Times 4 maybe still box office hit this weekend, it's extended version (20 minutes more) will release July. 16.

Monster Hunt & Jian Bing Man release this weekend.

Monster Hunt 5.7m preview.

TMK in the lead today will do more than Friday, WOM on fire

• Like 1