A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Wait, what? A month down from the previous year? That's....er.....strange.....

Well, July hasn't started yet so we can't be sure, but last year had Transformers 3, and this year will have just local films, so something better break out in a big way to pass 2014.

Well, July hasn't started yet so we can't be sure, but last year had Transformers 3, and this year will have just local films, so something better break out in a big way to pass 2014.

Hmm transformers 3... Well, that was the biggest movie ever here by a big margin so I guess a drop's not surprising or worrying. It would have increased a lot more (from the prev year) than the other months last year too so I guess this drop would just balance things off. I believe, as Lawrence already said, that the same thing will happen in April next year. Still I hope months like these will only be an exception/ special case and that the market will keep increasing on average. I, and many others too, have big, BIG, hopes from China for the future.

Hmm transformers 3... Well, that was the biggest movie ever here by a big margin so I guess a drop's not surprising or worrying. It would have increased a lot more (from the prev year) than the other months last year too so I guess this drop would just balance things off. I believe, as Lawrence already said, that the same thing will happen in April next year. Still I hope months like these will only be an exception/ special case and that the market will keep increasing on average. I, and many others too, have big, BIG, hopes from China for the future.

A month is meaningless, way too short of a timespan. Should be looking at periods of 3 months minimum.

TF4 did $120m in june. 200m in july. HA was the hopeful to do big numbers into july, like TF4. its barely going to bump today. not going to have any legs, july will get off to a poor start on wed. lets see how the new openers are on Friday. last july was up 100%, so yes being down not a bad thing but it does show that massive growth now at these large levels are hard to sustain. one month down means the next month needs to make up for it.

june looking to be up 20%, july could be down 20%. if august comes in flat we could see a flat quarter. same thing could happen next march through may. there are several small months in the year that one hit could make up to 50-100% increase like FF7 april. I think we will see a bit of a seesaw in percentage swings from month to month thru next year.

I think this year will be up over 30%. but with wavering months ahead the next 12 months maybe below 20%. the next calendar year as well.

early sat est

HA 60m

JW 35

SA 6

SA will make it $100m. it should get to 98.5m tomorrow and do 3m/500k Monday thru thursday

Saturday Estimates

1). Hollywood Adventure ¥62M/cume: 118M($19M)

2). Jurassic World¥40.7M/cume: 1222M($196.8M)
3). SPL2 ¥27.3M/cume: 433M($69.7M)
4). San Andreas, ¥6.9M/ cume: ¥610M ($98.2M)
5). Insurgent ¥4.4M/cume: 94.3M($15.2m)
6) ******
7) Begin Again ¥1.62M/cume: 2.45M($0.4m)
Edited by Fantaboy
  • Like 5

Saturday Estimates

2). Jurassic World¥40.7M/cume: 1222M($197.1M)
3). SPL2 ¥27.3M/cume: 433M($69.8M)
4). San Andreas, ¥6.9M/ cume: ¥610M ($98.4M)
5). Insurgent ¥4.4M/cume: 94.3M($15.2m)
6) ******
7) Begin Again ¥1.62M/cume: 2.45M($0.4m)

What is #6?

Anyway, great for JW.

Justin Lin try to make HA different from his previous directing

Making his first comedy movie

Maybe it's not funny enough to make Chinese audiences laugh.

Saturday Estimates