A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, justvision said:

Nah, I am sure quite a numbers of those guys (and gals) will see IW even earlier than you guys in US - they will fly (or take train) to Hong Kong when it premieres there on 25th April. Yes, I have read (in Chinese) the fans are making arrangement to visit HK to watch IW.

And what makes you think that the native fans in HK will just rest and let their mainland guest take all their hot seats of the premiere in their own hood like a good guest :qotd:

Hell no

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Looking at Maoyan Page (http://piaofang.maoyan.com/movie/248170), Tier 1, 3 and 4 all have similar fanbase size, and Tier 2 cities have far greater fanbase

Also, as expected, almost 2/3 of the audience interest is Male

I still think the percentage (out of the total population in the city) of fans in tier 1 cities is slightly higher than tier 2, and tier 2 higher than tier 3 and so forth. But because the number of tier 2 cities (15) is far more than Tier 1 (4), the combined population of Tier 2 cities will be bigger than that of Tier 1.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_city_tier_system)

Thus (a much larger populaton) x (a slightly smaller percentage of fanbase/city) results in Tier 2 cities having overall greater fanbase.

1 minute ago, justvision said:

I still think the percentage (out of the total population in the city) of fans in tier 1 cities is slightly higher than tier 2, and tier 2 higher than tier 3 and so forth. But because the number of tier 2 cities (15) is far more than Tier 1 (4), the combined population of Tier 2 cities will be bigger than that of Tier 1.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_city_tier_system)

Thus (a much larger populaton) x (a slightly smaller percentage of fanbase/city) results in Tier 2 cities having overall greater fanbase.

Yeah I realised this issue, after looking at Jurassic World, Incredibles, MI6 and finding they all had the same percentages

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

And what makes you think that the native fans in HK will just rest and let their mainland guest take all their hot seats of the premiere in their own hood like a good guest :qotd:

Hell no

I have read the evidence that the arrangement have been made by a number of Mainland fans to visit HK to watch the movies. And have you read that HK fans/cinemas/authorities protesting/strictly restricting/banning tourists from Mainland China (or any tourists from any other countries) to go to watch any movie in their first few days of showings? Have you? Or you just spoke not based on evidence but on wishful thinking?

Come on, it is not like tens of thousands of fans are have time and money to flock to HK to watch IW, but as I carefully worded earlier "a number of" those "ardent fans", probably hundreds of them will go to HK. I am sure HK, being such a large metropolitan with huge numbers of tourists throughout the year, can accomodate hundreds of extra audience.

I envisage a few very rich US diehard fans may fly to Australia/NZ on 25th April to watch IW as well.

Edited by justvision

50 minutes ago, justvision said:

And have you read that HK fans/cinemas/authorities protesting/strictly restricting/banning tourists from Mainland China (or any tourists from any other countries) to go to watch any movie in their first few days of showings? Have you? Or you just spoke not based on evidence but on wishful thinking?

Come on, it is not like tens of thousands of fans are have time and money to flock to HK to watch IW, but as I carefully worded earlier "a number of" those "ardent fans", probably hundreds of them will go to HK. I am sure HK, being such a large metropolitan with huge numbers of tourists throughout the year, can accomodate hundreds of extra audience.

I am talking about actual tickets availability for the opening weekend but whatever -_-

1 hour ago, justvision said:

I have read the evidence that the arrangement have been made by a number of Mainland fans to visit HK to watch the movies. And have you read that HK fans/cinemas/authorities protesting/strictly restricting/banning tourists from Mainland China (or any tourists from any other countries) to go to watch any movie in their first few days of showings? Have you? Or you just spoke not based on evidence but on wishful thinking?

I envisage a few very rich US diehard fans may fly to Australia/NZ on 25th April to watch IW as well.

It's not like US fans flying to Australia/NZ. It's more like people in Baltimore rushing to DC or Philadelphia. 

Many Chinese cities (including two of China's four Tier 1 cities, and several Tier 2 cities) are very close to HK. It's pretty easy for them to arrange a visit to HK. And they don't have to be rich to do that. 

Edited by LeoC

Ramp heading to 32m down 9-10% and clear 500m

It will hold 70% of it shows tomorrow and should bump 25%+ into the 40s.  170m/$27m second weekend down 50%~

RPO looking to be flat again at 10m

It will hold 50% of it shows tomorrow and be flat DoD. $8m weekend.  Its will be at $210m when the holiday starts. Not sure how many shows it can retain then

• Like 6

5 hours ago, POTUS said:

Ramp heading to 32m down 9-10% and clear 500m

It will hold 70% of it shows tomorrow and should bump 25%+ into the 40s.  170m/$27m second weekend down 50%~

RPO looking to be flat again at 10m

It will hold 50% of it shows tomorrow and be flat DoD. $8m weekend.  Its will be at $210m when the holiday starts. Not sure how many shows it can retain then

It's a good drop today ? 

Or should have been flat?

5 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

It's a good drop today ? 

Or should have been flat?

Good drop. Will increase tomorrow on 2nd friday. Not many hollywood movies do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fmpro said:

Good drop. Will increase tomorrow on 2nd friday. Not many hollywood movies do that. 

I’d argue that’s mostly due to it retaining more screens than most Hollywood films on its 2nd Friday...doesn’t have much to do with its reception. A lot of Hollywood films are cannibalized when the next big film comes out a weekend after it...that’s not the case here. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

I’d argue that’s mostly due to it retaining more screens than most Hollywood films on its 2nd Friday...doesn’t have much to do with its reception. A lot of Hollywood films are cannibalized when the next big film comes out a weekend after it...that’s not the case here. 

I agree. But a high PTA also helps