A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

7 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Like last year it seems that I was right and that instead of being "absolute" and "doomposting" I am simply realistic

I’m not attacking you when I say this but it’s super disingenuous to claim you were ever right about this or NWH. You keep changing your numbers as new info comes in. By default you will eventually be right when you keep doing that. Just a few days ago you said $2.4-2.6B and before that you said up to $3B. I can go back to the NWH threads where you kept saying it wouldn’t pass (insert movie) and when it did you moved the goal down further. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

I’m not attacking you when I say this but it’s super disingenuous to claim you were ever right about this or NWH. You keep changing your numbers as new info comes in. By default you will eventually be right when you keep doing that. Just a few days ago you said $2.4-2.6B and before that you said up to $3B. I can go back to the NWH threads where you kept saying it wouldn’t pass (insert movie) and when it did you moved the goal down further. 

It's normal for me to change my predictions based on the numbers, but when I do it's not with pleasure and it's not the acopalypse to say that. I regret it because I would have liked $400M for A2 in China or even $600M but when Charlie Jat says that it will only open with $75M whereas a few days ago we were talking about $200M I take the information and I adapt my predictions like he does but what we do is not be negative or whatever. It's just being realistic with the information that comes to us.

You even said to yourself that I was maybe pessimistic and a few hours ago you lowered your forecasts from $2.25B to $1.8B but I'm not going to tell you that you are negative you are right to adapt your forecasts with the incoming information.

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 1

Just now, LPLC said:

You even said to yourself that it was pessimistic and a few hours ago you lowered your forecasts from $2.25B to $1.8B but I'm not going to tell you that you are negative you are right to adapt your forecasts with the incoming information

Correct. It’s fine to change your prediction as new numbers come in, but I would never claim I was right about something after making so many changes. My prediction for the film was $2.6B WW-R and now that we have more data I think it will be $1.75-1.85B but it would be disingenuous for me to claim I was “right” about it. If we did that, we could all claim to never be wrong by just saying “look at the last thing predicted.” 

I don’t think XXR is saying that it’s wrong to update your outlook as new info comes in just that it’s odd to say “I was right” if actuals match your 5x updated outlook while being very far from original outlook 😛 

Edited by Korra Legion
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Correct. It’s fine to change your prediction as new numbers come in, but I would never claim I was right about something after making so many changes. My prediction for the film was $2.6B WW-R and now that we have more data I think it will be $1.75-1.85B but it would be disingenuous for me to claim I was “right” about it. If we did that, we could all claim to never be wrong by just saying “look at the last thing predicted.” 

Thinking Contact GIF

18 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

"I was right" was not necessary it's just that as you told me that I was negative well I wanted to show you that I was not ... Anyway. That said now you tell me "It's fine to change your prediction as new numbers come in" so why did you say what you said yesterday when I talked about the possibility of A2 not reaching $2B. I don't understand the logic.

1 minute ago, LPLC said:

"I was right" was not necessary it's just that as you told me that I was negative well I wanted to show you that I was not ... Anyway. That said now you tell me "It's fine to change your prediction as new numbers come in" so why did you say what you said yesterday when I talked about the possibility of A2 not reaching $2B. I don't understand the logic.

All I said was that you say things as absolutes. Like they are for sure going to happen or not. Even yesterday other people where telling you I wasn’t bashing you or being mean to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

All I said was that you say things as absolutes. Like they are for sure going to happen or not. Even yesterday other people where telling you I wasn’t bashing you or being mean to you.

I don't think to say things like "absolutes" watch where we are the next day, now you think the same as me. But maybe in 1 week we'll both think it'll be over $2B who knows ? And yes I know it's not mean of you it's just the repetition with last year that bored me

7 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I don't think to say things like "absolutes" watch where we are the next day, now you think the same as me. But maybe in 1 week we'll both think it'll be over $2B who knows ? And yes I know it's not mean of you it's just the repetition with last year that bored me

I think the issue is that you claim you were right after updating your original claim (updating it frequently) which is disingenuous. Everyone can do that after new info keeps coming up so no will say that they were wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

I think the issue is that you claim you were right after updating your original claim (updating it frequently) which is disingenuous. Everyone can do that after new info keeps coming up so no will say that they were wrong.

already answered this but that's not what we're talking about

Edited by LPLC

9 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

one of the craziest thing is, I still don't see the movie. I was supposed to see it in WED previews. But my screening was cancelled due to tech problem. And now I become one of those who are not rushed into going cinema. I know I will see it in theaters at some point, but I'm not sure when. Good seats in IMAX theaters this weekend are not available now. And now I am kind of calm and wait. If general people have similar thinking, holds in next few weeks should be fine.

Hello Gavin do you know any other users from China to tell us about the current situation (box  office, covid, etc.)?

Is @Olive from China? Anyone else?

• Like 1

The only way for China to fix the problem is to import foreign COVID vaccines.

Otherwise, the China box office will be in downfall for a very long while.

(I got COVID too.  But my family had taken Pfizer vaccines; my family had very few symptoms, and we had very speedy recovery.  

On the other hand, some of my friends didn't take any vaccines, and they did face much more serious troubles when they got COVID.)

• Like 1