A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

46 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

$120m?? Seems a bit high but I know next to nothing about the Chinese market

Wait what. Maoyan predicts 50m and this guy predicts 120??? LOL...

Don't get me wrong. I would love for it to get to 120m but...

14 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Wait what. Maoyan predicts 50m and this guy predicts 120??? LOL...

Don't get me wrong. I would love for it to get to 120m but...

Maoyan cannot account for WOM, it just throws stuff out based on presales and daily trends

with these scores Oppenheimer could certainly have a leggy run and in that case maoyan prediction doesn't mean anything - though there is precedent where films can't break out regardless of WOM, so we'll see how things play out

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Maoyan cannot account for WOM, it just throws stuff out based on presales and daily trends

with these scores Oppenheimer could certainly have a leggy run and in that case maoyan prediction doesn't mean anything - though there is precedent where films can't break out regardless of WOM, so we'll see how things play out

I mean...I know that...but to get to 120m that would be like almost triple the Maoyan forecast. It would need the kind of WOM like Creation of Gods, which is unlikely.

23 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Seems like actual OD will fall behind Maoyan (¥46.536M) &TPP (¥43.353M) Forecast.

Real Time Forecast - as of now.

¥42.46M - TPP

¥38.94M - Maoyan 

Thursday PS is at ¥6.15M / 65K Shows ~ 121K admits.

Government app is lagging - OD as of now.

¥31.98M - Government

¥35.74M - Maoyan

¥36.29M - TPP

Midnight Actuals - ¥2.41M / 2,260 Shows ~ 48K admits.

Edited by Issac Newton

18 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

I mean...I know that...but to get to 120m that would be like almost triple the Maoyan forecast. It would need the kind of WOM like Creation of Gods, which is unlikely.

not really? I've seen stuff go well over triple of maoyan's initial prediction even just this summer - again, if the trend shows the onset of a leggy run they will adjust it, if not they won't

the scores are fantastic, but sometimes people don't go watch the film regardless

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

Oppenheimer

Thursday Forecast - ¥25.942M / ¥313M Final

For sure, No More Bets will win weekend again. Wednesday was just ¥3M away from No.1

As per TTP Forecast, Thursday will be narrow battle -

Thursday Forecast (NMB/Opp)

¥32.183M / ¥25.942M - Maoyan 

¥29.014M / ¥28.803M - Taopiaopiao 

Maoyan Forecast a finishing line of ¥3.896B for NMB vs ¥3.906M by TPP. For Opp, TPP looking into ¥337M Final. 

36 minutes ago, Giorno said:

its a 3 hour drama on a weekday that isn't a holiday and thursday is a normal work day

Yeah, I can see how runtime is affecting here. Except for Shanghai &Beijing, Oppenheimer doesn't have grounds in Show Counts in any region where No More Bets continue to lead.

Oppenheimer won No.1 in all 10 Major Metropolitan Cities except Chongqing, where No More Bets leads - ¥1.01M (2,763 Shows) vs ¥900K (1,961 Shows)

Edited by Issac Newton

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

sounds just like SK where it was presale-heavy leading to false expectations. Maybe strong WOM would translate to better legs but idk why Fran thinks it can do $120m+

This happened with Dunkirk too.

Is 50m a realistic target? Probably the number it needs to have a good shot at topping Bohemian Rhapsody WW