A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

What people are saying here is about $45m-$50m OW and maybe a $110m-$115m total.

But what are those kind of figures based on? The last film? I was also hearing earlier in this thread that because of the release date, BotFA could double what DoS took, so could it not double DoS opening weekend too? So around $64m. Which would be a Iron Man 3 territory opening (which went on to earn $120m). I think it will have a much bigger than $13m increase on DoS opening weekend.

Honestly though, when it comes to China, I'm not even going to pretend I have an idea how there box office works.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

Well, it needs $170m from China so it better opens to about $75m... :P

You are asking China to open HOBBIT higher than North America (I mean 3-day wk of DOS).

This is the real mission impossible. :huh:

Edited by Fantaboy

Yeah, hopefully Middle Earth can go out in a bang and not a wimper.

it WILL at least in China 

thank u China!

You saved Pacific Rim why not BotFA as well! B)  

edit:

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 2

But what are those kind of figures based on? The last film? I was also hearing earlier in this thread that because of the release date, BotFA could double what DoS took, so could it not double DoS opening weekend too? So around $64m. Which would be a Iron Man 3 territory opening (which went on to earn $120m). I think it will have a much bigger than $13m increase on DoS opening weekend.

Honestly though, when it comes to China, I'm not even going to pretend I have an idea how there box office works.

I just repeat what people like firedeep and Olive have been saying. They know quite well the market and considering what DOS did last year and how much others Hollywood blockbusters have done in last year, I think that range of 100-120 is quite probable. If it explodes, great. I would love it. But I prefer to be cautious (and realistic). I overestimated a lot the Hobbit movies before AUJ release and I do not want to be so wrong again.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 4

I overestimated a lot the Hobbit movies before AUJ release and I do not want to be so wrong again.

we already have DOM performance that went nowhere after a pretty good OW so I'm extra cautios

I don't know why the presales are so strong for TH3

#OneLAstTime factor

bye bye Middle Earth  :(

Edited by Lady of Lorien

I just repeat what people like firedeep and Olive have been saying. They know quite well the market and considering what DOS did last year and how much others Hollywood blockbusters have done in last year, I think that range of 100-120 is quite probable. If it explodes, great. I would love it. But I prefer to be cautious (and realistic). I overestimated a lot the Hobbit movies before AUJ release and I do not want to be so wrong again.

Yeah agree with that. I've been reluctant to make a final total prediction so far, $120m would be very good compared to first 2 films, anything else would be a bonus.

Also like with these presales, it's not totally clear how many more theaters have been added to the data collection, though apparantly is not a big difference. If so and the presales reflect the opening weekend, we could have a big weekend ahead. Though may be massively frontloaded.

It's now past 100k presales, around 4 and half hours till midnight. 100103 to be precise.

+ great milestone! 

so 50mio in play

- with 2x multipier it would be a 100m total  :P

If presales are anything to go by and the latest info from Johnny, isn't $50m opening weekend already an easy lock in? I'm swaying towards around $60m OW right now.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

At Wanda Cinemas, BOFA presales are about 300% big as DOFP which had a $11M OD. I don't know why the presales are so strong for TH3

Because DOS was awesome, that's why! ;)

But in all seriousness, more presales could just mean less walk-in sales.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2