A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Hold your horses.

How much did Apes on midnights? A little over 4, right? What was its opening wekend? Did it open on a friday?

Apes did a $47m opening weekend so $60m is no lock. I'm not sure how the midnights will relate to actual opening weekend though. Recon $50m is likely, but $60m sure isn't yet.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

this franchise is more frontloaded

I'm not so sure about that either. I think in China it's a lot about when's the release date and how's the competition. BOFA opened a lot sooner, we'll see how that affects legs, if at all.

Edited by Elessar

Seems cautious, i think this is the worst case scenario if it is even more frontloaded than the last two.

I prefer to be cautious and later to have a nice surprise than the contrary. I have had big disappointments with Hobbit in the past because of my very very very big initial predictions.

Is there a better comparison?

idk

its the closest we have to BOTFA midnights (again maybe we shouldn't expect the dynamic of Apes in this case)

as 4 predictions last night I tried to apply the rule that Olive said is possible for our franchise

It will make about 8x its OD, for other hollywood movie they usually make 10x or slightly more.

& the numbers vary really from even below 100 to around 115 

so I prefer to wait for the OD numbers

I'm not so sure about that either. I think in China it's a lot about when's the release date and how's the competition. BOFA opened a lot sooner, we'll see how that affects legs, if at all.

Lack of competition plus better release date, this will be frontloaded as DOS or barely more.

I just go by what Olive said

Ofc I hope it will be much better

I wonder how the competition affects mostly b/c of the screen loss (btw kinda strange rule that so many screens go to the openers no matter what :ph34r: )

It def needs a good OW & good WOM & it may well have it