38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

now i love historical movies and i did give lincoln an A because truth be told you cannot deny quality acting and storytelling but gahhh this has to be the driest  A- i've ever given! 

last night i tried watching it but i was too tired and within 5mn you realize this movie requires extreme concentration , this is high brow dialogue that is very well done esp if you like history like i do !

maybe what some of you call restrain by john williams did not help , there was an evenness to the tone , like one long speech with exception to scenes in congress that were lively!

i wanted to like this film and i do to a certain degree but i can't embrace it with enthusiasm because it made me sleepy, when i want to sleep i listen to norah jones "come away with me" cd , i love all the songs on it, but her voice is so soothing and so relaxing  that it induces a sleepy state  and you drift away without noticing, this is what lincoln felt like ...

which is so weird because i love love "john adams" mini-series and i watched that in one day back to back ...and cannot remember feeling anything but enthusiasm for it! 

it certainly will improve with multiple viewings, maybe its me and not so much the movie!

the one thing i hated was sally field performance she was beyond annoying, and baumer even i who understood what she was saying to tommy lee jones character at the reception was WTF'ing too because that whole dialogue seemed out of place and inappropriate but that could be due to her emotional distress condition?

batman junior was forgettable, came off as a petulant child!

tommy lee jones , james spader, david strathairn were all very good in it, i too was looking at faces trying to recall who were under the beards, i was surprise to see the actor from boardwalk empire , who paused so long before voting i wondered if the image was stuck then he belts out a yeahhhh lol

DDL was lincoln i agree , i had to look hard to find him in there even in the expression of the eyes but i cant tell if he's the most deserving as i've yet to see joaquin phoenix in the master who i think is the only viable competition he has, but if he wins once again it cannot be disputed that he is a fine consumate character actor!

the amendment was as good as any anchor they could have chosen to build the movie around, perhaps what annoying is how uninvolved any blacks were in such a monumental decision concerned them to the utmost

,i found lincoln summed it up well in how he answered his wife maid?/companion? on the entrance porch of white house he doesnt know her or any of them but that has nothing to do with his moral compass of what's right and fair!

and to a degree many other congressmen i'm not sure many cared anything for the black people plight except as a mean to resolve the war!

then again who cares why they voted yes as long as they voted yes?

i guess you can say that you learn alot about the man himself,and the way his mind worked!

I liked it the first viewing, but I loved it the second time around. It is a true masterpiece. The script is nothing short of brilliance, this is one the best ensemble cast I have ever seen and Spielberg's direction is near perfection, it's not a flag-waving, patriotic biopic that many people expected, it's a clever historical lesson about a very important moment in history.

The period has been put on screen with every detail perfected, the script is balanced, lots of memorable stories told by Lincoln, as well as nicely delivered political battle with a few humorous moments. The family plot was decent as well, Sally Field was great playing the mad wife. DDL is out of this world, there isn't a single moment in the film when you doubt that it's an actor and not Lincoln in front of you. Art direction and settings are great, really liked the camera work and lighting in the film and John Williams composed a score that suited the film perfectly.

The greatest measure of the 19th century was passed by corruption, aided and abetted by the purest man in America. 

Stepping into history without fear, LINCOLN - a masterclass in writing, directing and acting, often thrilling, humorous and movingly human, goes into history as a major movie achievement.
Edited by Alfred Unchained
  • Like 3

I liked it the first viewing, but I loved it the second time around. It is a true masterpiece. The script is nothing short of brilliance, this is one the best ensemble cast I have ever seen and Spielberg's direction is near perfection, it's not a flag-waving, patriotic biopic that many people expected, it's a clever historical lesson about a very important moment in history.

The period has been put on screen with every detail perfected, the script is balanced, lots of memorable stories told by Lincoln, as well as nicely delivered political battle with a few humorous moments. The family plot was decent as well, Sally Field was great playing the mad wife. DDL is out of this world, there isn't a single moment in the film when you doubt that it's an actor and not Lincoln in front of you. Art direction and settings are great, really liked the camera work and lighting in the film and John Williams composed a score that suited the film perfectly.

The greatest measure of the 19th century was passed by corruption, aided and abetted by the purest man in America. 

Stepping into history without fear, LINCOLN - a masterclass in writing, directing and acting, often thrilling, humorous and movingly human, goes into history as a major movie achievement.

Brilliant review, Alfred!

Loved the movie. I couldn't stand Sally Field and that stupid sad look she had in every scene, the same look that annoyed me in TASM. Otherwise I can't complain about anything. TLJ is my hero.

Shit, he`s mine too after GGs. I guess I`m going to catch this for TLJ.

There was LITERALLY a guy who yelled at him that he was sick of his stories. 

Yep, and as soon as the guy disapears from the scene, Zeus/Shiva/GOD/Superman/Jesus starts to finally tell his story and everybody in the room stops what they are doing and they listen to the holy words of wisdom from the Giant Statue live from the Capitol.

Edited by The Futurist

"

Yep, and as soon as the guy disapears from the scene, Zeus/Shiva/GOD/Superman/Jesus starts to finally tell his story and everybody in the room stops what they are doing and they listen to the holy words of wisdom from the Giant Statue live from the Capitol."

Lol

ummm sounds quite familar to how people behaved to a certain someone in power today :)

Today, Lincoln is seen as a divine figure in the US from both sides of the politcal spectrum.

Reagan is a God to Republicans, and JFK is one to Democrats but Lincoln is seen as great from both sides...

I liked the film but felt it was bit generic at times...

The most powerful part to me was how I sort of connect it to modern politics...

First thing I noticed is Lincoln was really involved in congress...

Another thing I remembered is the scene where the Republican were accusing the Democrats for being on the wrong side of history on Slavery.

That the democrats were seen as out of touch and the ones saying racist vile things.

Just shows much politics has changed and can change.

I think a Republican watching this film should feel some shame and realize where his party started from and where it is today.

It appears to me the Republicans back into those were day were classical liberals while the ones today are Neo Conservatives.

• Like 1

Finally got to see it and the film is quite an achievement. I mean really what can you say about DDL that hasn't already been said. The guy is simply at another level. Actually I thought all the performances were great. And I agree it's definitely Spielberg's best film in years. A

Very good... and for a history lesson pretty entertaining. I hope some tea party loonies watched this and felt ashamed.

Sally Field should have won the Oscar! Hathaway was a ridiculous winner when something like Field's performance was there!

B+

Edited by ShouldIBeHere