66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Jaws

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Saw it in Film Theory for the first time and really enjoyed it. I'm gonna have to rewatch on my own time to properly grade it though; pausing it inbetween classes messed up a lot of the tension.

I love talking to people or hearing from people who have just seen JAWS for the first time.  Any questions you have about it or just want to talk at all about it, please feel free.  It's my favourite movie and one that I can watch every day and not get tired of.

• Like 1

I love talking to people or hearing from people who have just seen JAWS for the first time.  Any questions you have about it or just want to talk at all about it, please feel free.  It's my favourite movie and one that I can watch every day and not get tired of.

I was surprised actually by how good the effects were tbh. I've always heard people complain that the shark looks fake, but I felt like it looked fine in most shots.

I did like the first half a lot more than the second though. The beginning stuff was really tense and I really loved the part with the boy's mom slapping Brody, just since it was something I felt like a lot of other filmmakers wouldn't have included. One reason though I'm gonna have to rewatch though is that since I watched it in class early in the morning, I was kinda out of focus at points in the film, which I felt awful about since it was pretty good. The climax was exciting, although I was a tad confused about how Hooper was able to hide from the shark at the bottom of the ocean. I also felt like the very ending was a bit anticlimactic; I would've loved to see them make it back on shore. As it is though is fine, just would've liked an epilogue.

If I had to grade it now, I'd give it an solid A, but I'm certain if I watched it all in one sitting it would've been an A+

(Also, how did they make sequels to it? It seems very one-and-done in story.)

• Like 1

For some reasons, it was shown at my theater for 2 days or so last week, so I figured why not use this chance to watch it on the big screen. Man, it was incredible. Truly a timeless classic.

A+

• Like 5

I was surprised actually by how good the effects were tbh. I've always heard people complain that the shark looks fake, but I felt like it looked fine in most shots.

I did like the first half a lot more than the second though. The beginning stuff was really tense and I really loved the part with the boy's mom slapping Brody, just since it was something I felt like a lot of other filmmakers wouldn't have included. One reason though I'm gonna have to rewatch though is that since I watched it in class early in the morning, I was kinda out of focus at points in the film, which I felt awful about since it was pretty good. The climax was exciting, although I was a tad confused about how Hooper was able to hide from the shark at the bottom of the ocean. I also felt like the very ending was a bit anticlimactic; I would've loved to see them make it back on shore. As it is though is fine, just would've liked an epilogue.

If I had to grade it now, I'd give it an solid A, but I'm certain if I watched it all in one sitting it would've been an A+

(Also, how did they make sequels to it? It seems very one-and-done in story.)

If you want to see one of the best Blu Ray's ever made, get JAWS.  There are a lot of really good behind the scene stuff including how meticulous they were when creating the shark.  Yes, it might look a little outdated in 2013 but not as much as you might think.  When you watch Shark Week and they show the rare 20 foot Great Whites, it's pretty close.  

The Kinter mom slapping Brody was done in about 10 takes and every take she hit him just as hard as the last, at Roy Scheider's request.  It worked well.

i can understand why you liked the movie better before they get on the Orca and go hunting for the shark.  It's a different film once they get out there.

Hooper, in the movie, just gets away from the shark as it is supposed to be a mindless eating machine and it is so focused on the cage that it forgets about Hooper.  However in the book, he gets eaten.

The movie was a stand alone but of course after it made the equivalent of about 1.2 billion dollars domestic in today's climate, they had to make another.  The second is actually a fantastic film and it starts three years after Jaws.  The third is ok and the fourth is a good comedy.

• Like 1

If you want to see one of the best Blu Ray's ever made, get JAWS.  There are a lot of really good behind the scene stuff including how meticulous they were when creating the shark.  Yes, it might look a little outdated in 2013 but not as much as you might think.  When you watch Shark Week and they show the rare 20 foot Great Whites, it's pretty close.  

I might pick up the Blu-Ray for my dad for Christmas. Read through this thread and it sounds like an awesome Blu-Ray and it's pretty cheap at local Best Buy.

The Kinter mom slapping Brody was done in about 10 takes and every take she hit him just as hard as the last, at Roy Scheider's request.  It worked well.

That's pretty cool. It felt really, well, real, and it was a great scene.

i can understand why you liked the movie better before they get on the Orca and go hunting for the shark.  It's a different film once they get out there.

Hooper, in the movie, just gets away from the shark as it is supposed to be a mindless eating machine and it is so focused on the cage that it forgets about Hooper.  However in the book, he gets eaten.

Ah, I just thought it was weird that we just see hiding under the ocean and then comes up at least five, more around ten minutes later.

The movie was a stand alone but of course after it made the equivalent of about 1.2 billion dollars domestic in today's climate, they had to make another.  The second is actually a fantastic film and it starts three years after Jaws.  The third is ok and the fourth is a good comedy.

I might try the second one. I do know about its awesome tagline. "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water." :D

• Like 1

I have seen JAWS about 500 times, if not more.  When I saw it on BR for the first time, it blew me away.  The transfer is unbelievable.  You see things that you never saw before.  It's truly gorgeous.

The great thing about the second movie is that it is just as if not more scary than they original.  There are two or three scenes in the movie that still scare the hell out of me today.  Spielberg doesn't return but French director Jeanott Szwarc really comes up with some innovative stuff.  If you can find the JAWS 2 special edition, it's also worth seeing for the director's commentary.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

I watched it on a truly crummy TV in a classroom with poor sound and I was still really tense at points. I'm feeling I will pick up the Blu-Ray by the end of the year; it's probably the best movie I've seen in film theory class (although I did also love Edward Scissorhands and The Matrix.)

Is there any returning cast members in the sequel? Do they go the Die Hard route of having the same bizarre situation happening to the same character multiple times over, or more of a typical horror movie thing where they switch characters besides the shark?

I watched it on a truly crummy TV in a classroom with poor sound and I was still really tense at points. I'm feeling I will pick up the Blu-Ray by the end of the year; it's probably the best movie I've seen in film theory class (although I did also love Edward Scissorhands and The Matrix.)

Is there any returning cast members in the sequel? Do they go the Die Hard route of having the same bizarre situation happening to the same character multiple times over, or more of a typical horror movie thing where they switch characters besides the shark?

Everyone returns except Hooper and Quint.

Yes, it is pretty much the same thing happening again, but there is a different element to it.  Consider it American Graffiti but with boats and then a shark that messes things up for them.  :)

• Like 1

The 2nd best movie of all time!

Btw, I know we're supposed to respect each other's opinions and shit, but whoever gave this a D should be banned from this site immediately.

you are gonna need a ballsier moderator.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 4

This has always been thought of as the beginning of the summer blockbuster era and that's always made me wonder just what the hell has gone wrong in the last 40 years since this masterpiece was released.The one word that I associate with Jaws in character. It is in fact a showcase of character across the board. It does a masterful job of developing the story. Both the human characters and the shark are the ultimate reasons this film is so special, and once again it's all about character. The film is simply unrivaled in so many aspects and is a one of a kind in so many different ways.The shark itself is developed in such a brilliant way. The first half hour seems to build up the ruthlessness of the creature. It serves to make you fear not only the shark but the water itself. You never see the shark at this stage so your imagination takes control here. The subsequent hour serves as a damn good crescendo of building tension building and suspense before the inevitable showdown. This is done by actually developing the shark and its mystique. It in fact leads to the shark transcending from being a simple animal and becoming a villain with a personality. What a special film this is.Scheider, Shaw, and Dreyfuss serve as the cornerstones of the film here. I felt Shaw was the edge, Dreyfuss was the reason, and Scheider was the rock and heart of the film. What a beautiful combination the mix ultimately was. The character interaction here was just as interesting as the chase of the shark. My favorite scene in this film is when all three break out into song in the boat. Just three guys shooting the shit while chasing a 25-foot great white on the open sea. Fuck yes. Enough said.

• Like 5

This movie is pure perfection. Greatness from start to finish. The stuff with Jaws is obviously great, but the interactions between Scheider, Shaw, and Dreyfuss just talking on the boat is my favorite part of the movie. 

One of my top 10 favorites of all-time.

I would give it a huge.......

A+(100)

• Like 2

This has always been thought of as the beginning of the summer blockbuster era and that's always made me wonder just what the hell has gone wrong in the last 40 years since this masterpiece was released.The one word that I associate with Jaws in character. It is in fact a showcase of character across the board. It does a masterful job of developing the story. Both the human characters and the shark are the ultimate reasons this film is so special, and once again it's all about character. The film is simply unrivaled in so many aspects and is a one of a kind in so many different ways.The shark itself is developed in such a brilliant way. The first half hour seems to build up the ruthlessness of the creature. It serves to make you fear not only the shark but the water itself. You never see the shark at this stage so your imagination takes control here. The subsequent hour serves as a damn good crescendo of building tension building and suspense before the inevitable showdown. This is done by actually developing the shark and its mystique. It in fact leads to the shark transcending from being a simple animal and becoming a villain with a personality. What a special film this is.Scheider, Shaw, and Dreyfuss serve as the cornerstones of the film here. I felt Shaw was the edge, Dreyfuss was the reason, and Scheider was the rock and heart of the film. What a beautiful combination the mix ultimately was. The character interaction here was just as interesting as the chase of the shark. My favorite scene in this film is when all three break out into song in the boat. Just three guys shooting the shit while chasing a 25-foot great white on the open sea. Fuck yes. Enough said.

Characters will always win out over everything else.  

• Like 1