• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Look at films like:

Transformers

Armageddon

The Rock            (yes, all MB movies, I know)

All are known for something other than their characters but all are as iconic as they are because of their characters.  Transformers would never have been as good as it is or as liked as it is if Sam Witwicky wasn't part of that universe......it's what was missing in the fourth one.

• Like 1

I am so thrilled.  Just got word Jaws is coming to the big screen an hour away from where I live.  I immediately scooped up tickets for next Wednesday.

I get to JAWS on the big screen! This is going to be so surreal and fantastic.  My life may be complete next Wednesday.

• Like 2

I am so thrilled.  Just got word Jaws is coming to the big screen an hour away from where I live.  I immediately scooped up tickets for next Wednesday.

I get to JAWS on the big screen! This is going to be so surreal and fantastic.  My life may be complete next Wednesday.

I saw it on big screen for the first time two years ago.  It really was magic.

• Like 1

This is still the best movie I've ever seen. I catch literally every screening on the big screen I can (I'm up to four now). 

GTFO!  You and I share the same opinion about this movie?

• Like 2

4?? As in JAWS: THE REVENGE??? The worst ever made and completely tarnishes the series.. As a matter of fact, I wish they never would've made a sequel to JAWS.. Even JAWS 2, while decent, wasn't near as good as the 1st movie and the chick who kept screaming uncontrollably in JAWS 2 should've been thrown overboard and fed to the shark.. The shark in JAWS 2 also looked radically fake compared to the 1st movie..

How in the world does JAWS tarnish the brilliance of the first?  i've never understood this concept?

And JAWS 2 is fucking brilliant.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

4?? As in JAWS: THE REVENGE??? The worst ever made and completely tarnishes the series.. As a matter of fact, I wish they never would've made a sequel to JAWS.. Even JAWS 2, while decent, wasn't near as good as the 1st movie and the chick who kept screaming uncontrollably in JAWS 2 should've been thrown overboard and fed to the shark.. The shark in JAWS 2 also looked radically fake compared to the 1st movie..

...No, he means he catches the original Jaws in the theater every time it's playing, which has been 4 times in total now...he's seen the original 4 times in the theater.

Also, catching this in theaters on Wed for its 40th anni and can't wait! I've never seen this in theaters so it's going to be awesome to finally see it on the big screen.

• Like 1

Well, it was great to see the film on the big screen again (I was like 3 or 4 when I last saw it in the cinema). The screening was packed and the jokes and scares still worked, even with the fake shark. You could hear a pin drop during the USS Indianapolis speech. I didn't think much of the print quality, though. You could clearly see compression artifacts during the night time scenes. Embarrassing that my blu-ray looks better. Luckily I didn't pay for my ticket.

Edited by Darth Homer

Well, it was great to see the film on the big screen again (I was like 3 or 4 when I last saw it in the cinema). The screening was packed and the jokes and scares still worked, even with the fake shark. You could hear a pin drop during the USS Indianapolis speech. I didn't think much of the print quality, though. You could clearly see compression artifacts during the night time scenes. Embarrassing that my blu-ray looks better. Luckily I didn't pay for my ticket.

Shame it wasn't projected on film.

In the Novel JAWS, Hooper actually get's killed and Quint lives and also, there's a subplot involving Hooper sleeping with Chief Brody's wife and the shark's death is not near as good as the movie..

The book was radically different than the movie..

Quint dies in the book. He kills Jaws and dies Ahab style

• Like 1

I watched this for probably the 50th time last night, but the first time on the big screen.  What a great experience. It was fun because it was a crowd that was into it and laughing at some of the less know one liners.

The opening sequence, IMO, is the greatest of all time.  There is no more horrifying scene in film.  Swimming in the ocean at night is so eerie because you could have ANYTHING swimming underneath you and you wouldn't have any clue.  Chrissie is having fun swimming, moments later without any warning is violently pulled from side to side screaming like crazy. What is happening underneath the water is too horrible to think about.  Then moments later after she is pulled under, its calm and silent.  Perfection.

The most underrated scene is the fisherman at the dock.  Bruce takes the bait attached to the dock and the guy is pulled out into the water.  The moment the dock creaks and turns around aided by the spectacular Williams score....incredible.  It surprises me that it's a scenet that is rarely talked about as a classic.

Every scene Quint is in is pure magic.  Obviously the USS Indianapolis story is maybe the best scene in the movie.  The characters is really what puts this movie over the top. You care about Brody, Hooper and Quint and the performances are awesome.

The dialogue is incredibly memorable.  I won't begin quoting lines cause I won't stop.

Williams score is not only iconic, but more important to the telling of this movie than any other score.  Williams theme is the shark.  It's just as much of a character as Quint, Ellen, Hooper and Martin.  When the "Duh-duh" is there, you know the shark is there.  And with the mechanical problems they had with the shark in the early stages of filming, Williams was a savior.

With all due respect to Milos Forman, Spielberg was robbed of best director.  Once the mechanical shark wasn't working early on, what he did to build suspense by NOT SHOWING THE SHARK is incredible.  The suspense built by alluding to the shark but not showing it is much more scary than showing the shark.  Like in the opening scene, our imaginiation is much more scary than anything that can be put on screen. He played the audience like a fiddle. They call Hitchcock the master of suspense but you could put Spielberg right by his side.

I could go on forever.

A+  My 2nd favorite film of all time.

• Like 8