iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

I think he's too in love with making really long films.

He's just indecisive about what footage to cut out. I think that he knows what he wants to do in a movie, but he shoots too many scenes and in the end just can't bring himself to cut any of it out.

He's just indecisive about what footage to cut out. I think that he knows what he wants to do in a movie, but he shoots too many scenes and in the end just can't bring himself to cut any of it out.

The only stuff that really feels totally and completely unwarranted (to me) is the Old Bilbo/Frodo scene. Personally, I'd trim and tighten up a bit here and there, but knowing the overall story, I can see what they're setting up and it's all fairly sensible.
  • Like 1

The only stuff that really feels totally and completely unwarranted (to me) is the Old Bilbo/Frodo scene. Personally, I'd trim and tighten up a bit here and there, but knowing the overall story, I can see what they're setting up and it's all fairly sensible.

I agree actually the first scene is a bit long and somewhat unnecessary. The point could have been achieved in 2 minutes. Other than that only minor trimming is needed here and there to save maybe 10 minutes.

That's because no franchise film the size of LOTR has come out in December since ROTK. Not one. Do you guys think that if Potter came out in December it would have a muted midnight because it's December?

And what's the average age of its audience? I don't remember what the first weekend of Return of the King was but Fellowship was much more older then younger. Trek versus Wars is also similar Wars always had percentage wise much younger audience then what Trek did. There are variables above a d beyond one film did x so this film should do x isn't valid statistical work. Even basic first year college courses should make that clear.Example why did the finale Potter have so much larger midnight? Then other Potter films, even with a year separating the last two? The addition if the variable of the finale of that series. For just a very basic additional variable.You state because no other franchise the size of LoTR opened in De ember. But we have seen films open in other months that have been huge with a new property. Just this year in March I believe, it happened. Between just Decembers lack of anything over 8 or so million, and the various factors that are fairly unique to the month of December, what about the general impact to midnights after Batman? I still no many people whom have to this day changed how and when the see movies. In fact the group that I normally hit films with (same group if ten plus occasional date) was fairly stable until Batman, after that point last night was the biggest showing as a group we had made with 6 people. Some of are group will no longer see films at night. Hell my brother is worse after Batman his family has not gone back to see any movies nor are his kids allowed to see them with their friends.Now I know that behavior is atypical but I have a hard time believing it hasn't changed some people's patterns.

If the film had been made pre-LOTR I would possibly agree, but since it's post-LOTR PJ probably felt an obligation to build up the links, such as having the Bilbo/Frodo scene take place the morning of Bilbo's 111th birthday party and show things such as putting up the "party business" sign and Frodo going to wait in the woods for Gandalf. it could have been trimmed a bit, but the idea of a Bilbo/Frodo bookend in itself seems fine to me.The only scene I would have entirely cut would be the Stone Giants. Felt a little too ridiculous and there simply for the sake of another setpiece.

12.4m midnights is really really really strong for December but we've never really seen a fanboy rush movie in December where midnights are a real thing. I have no idea how frontloaded this movie will be. EDIT: 38-40 has to be a tad disappointing with that midnight figure. But we'll see... not rushing to judgement this time...

Edited by Gopher