iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

If "Skyfall" outgrosses the hobbit than it has my vote for Biggest Box Office Story of the year over "Hunger Games and Avengers" cause NONE OF US saw that coming.

We're talking WW right? Cus if Hobbit fails to make ~305 million that's just sad.

I just think that many people familiar with TH story don`t think it`s worth a look on the big screen. I know that Smaug is overhyped in some circles but that just shows you were the problem with the book lies - it has nothing special going for it except the dragon and it isn`t like movies aren`t full of dragons already. From How to Train Your Dragon to Sucker Punch, there`s a dragon.Moreover, TH follows the story of a marginal LOTR character and bunch of new faces that are far less developed and relatable than LOTR characters. Sure, Gandalf has a prominent role but he is Obi Wan figure and Obi Wan alone wouldn`t have sold TPM.Finally, LOTR really covered all the basis well so a trilogy about characters who don`t even add up to events in LOTR (Bard, dwarves, Mirkwood Elves - you really don`t need to know about Thorin party and Thranduil court to appreciate Gimli and Legolas in LOTR) may not induce interest to learn more. I know that some fans here think that ME is the bigger selling point than characters itself but how much of the same scenery without equally compelling story and characters one can take?

The Star Wars Brand sold Menace, Yoda, R2 and C3PO were really the only returning characters. Hobbit did the same, brought back a few familiar faces to bring in old time fans but introduced new characters. The only thing I don't agree with is making this a trilogy. I saw the film and personally I thought it was good. I think the critics are going way overboard it did remind me of Menace, it's like the film wasn't the 2nd coming of Christ so it's crap. The problem with the Hobbit, like Menace in that way is Jackson sometimes does go overboard like Lucas. They are perfectionist so it's like they try to fit in so much detail that it bloats the movie. My only issue with The Hobbit was the 1st act it didn't pull me in until the mid 2nd act and finale. So I'm on board. As for "The Hobbit" not being as Big as the "LOTR" books, this is true but for kids, the Hobbit was a book that floated around elementary schools for years even more than LOTR. Again I'm completely shocked by these numbers. I know you've been critical fishnets but you and I guess B really hit the head on the nail that maybe this isn't going to be as big as many thought.

I was thinkin

I don't think the Hobbit is doing poorly though. It will probably make 900-a billion. That is utterly fantastic. It's the members here who overhyped it and sneered at the mention of it stalling at a billion.

Even with the reviews, I still think it can garner decent enough WOM to cause DOS to increase to 1B+ WW. DOS should be action packed and look more appealing, IMO. Plus, OS... Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 4

We're talking WW right? Cus if Hobbit fails to make ~305 million that's just sad.

Yes I'm talking WW cause I'm still in completely shock Skyfall is knocking on Billion's Door. I mean I know it's a 50 year old franchise but "Skyfall" is not the best bond but I think this was a climax of every Bond Fan ever going out and watching this film and rewarding the franchise for 50 great years of movies cause I'm again floored by it's performance worldwide. Even domestically I didn't think it had a chance at 300 Million. 250? yes but 300 Million, 1 Billion? Yes it had Imax but No 3D? Avengers was going to be a hit no matter what, at the worst 300 Million, 600 was historic but 300 was the floor. "Hunger Games" I didn't see 400 Million, 200 maybe so that's my 2nd Biggest surprise of the year. But as of right now Skyfall is my #1 Box Office story cause it just came out of left field in the month of November and just smacked the box office.

I was thinkinEven with the reviews, I still think it can garner decent enough WOM to cause DOS to increase to 1B+ WW. DOS should be action packed and look more appealing, IMO. Plus, OS...

I don`t think that TH`s problem (if there`s a problem, we still haven`t got Saturday number) is WOM or lack thereof but general disinterest. Well, kind of "disinterest" that translates into $85-95 mio opening instead of $155 mio and over. Think about X Men:FC. That one was critically praised and had a great WOM but ended up making less than critically panned, bad WOM`d Wolverine. The reason? There was more interest in Wolverine and not much interest in X Men sans him or X Man set in the past. This is what sunk KK more than bloat and running time. General disinterest. It had pretty good WOM at the time of the release but interest just wasn`t there. Well, kind of interest that turns a $205 mio movie (sans marketing) into a bone fide no "But`s" hit. And when there`s disinterest, WOM doesn`t help because WOM works when there`s interest but people are on the fence. Like Avatar. There was curiosity that turned into definitely yes when WOM kicked in. Edited by fishnets

This OD is an epic fail. Looks to be worldwide fail as well.

GeeeezIts going to do over 800 mil WW GUARANTEED And it might even hit 1 bil That's not a FAIL by any parameter out there If you asked James Cameron 10 days before Avatar was released would he take 1 bil WW gross or have it run its way by itself you don't think he would've chosen the former ?

I'm not a Hobbit fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, and had a rather tepid anticipation for this movie. But I have to say that it exceeded my admittedly low expectations by leaps and bounds. I think WOM will kick in and give this thing great legs. It'll get to 320m.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I am disappointed too I expected it to clear 1 bil with ease and challenge DH2 on WW chart But it is still going to gross a LOT of money and unless reports are inaccurate the film itself cost no more than 200 mil ( no less too ) which puts it comfortably in the green for both studio and PJ But yeah I'm pretty sure they thought they would get more too

So many pessimists on this forum. Seriously? How is a $37M OD not dissapointing?It had a lot of criticism before it's release, it had a generic marketing campaign...So I call this impressive.Also, experienced box office analyists are predicting $90M and beyond. Box office forums users are predicting below $90M. Do they know something we don't?