iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

Gollum looked ok in the IMAX trailer I saw, nothing more. The problem with CGI is that, unlike in the 90s, it's pretty much impossible to be wowed by it anymore. It's simply a storytelling tool... as it should be. If it's good I won't notice it, and if it's bad I will.

I think CGI can still impress. Large parts of AVATAR impressed for the sheer detail and some close up parts like when Neteyri is holding Jake at the end look real, dead 100% real.I think CGI houses are getting a little lazy at the moment, i don't know if its because of the number of big effects films there are these days but the CGI is all starting to look the same. The Pacific Rim and Star Trek trailers look like they could be from the same film.

I've already owned up to being wrong.The movies cost around $500m or so collectively (production budget only).The movie looks great, I don't get why people are bitching about the CG.

As I said, those posts were not to embarass anyone, they were posted simply to show those who suggested no one thought this would do ridiculously huge numbers, that they are wrong.

I know right, and the sad thing is TH looks like shit. It's an AIW level of CGI and it looks worse than LOTR after 10+ years and 3x the budget.

I watched all three LOTR movies again this weekend after seeing Hobbit and anyone who says the FX in LOTR are better than what's on display in Hobbit seriously need to get their eyes checked.
  • Like 2

I think CGI can still impress. Large parts of AVATAR impressed for the sheer detail and some close up parts like when Neteyri is holding Jake at the end look real, dead 100% real.I think CGI houses are getting a little lazy at the moment, i don't know if its because of the number of big effects films there are these days but the CGI is all starting to look the same. The Pacific Rim and Star Trek trailers look like they could be from the same film.

CGI is simply norm now; some lazier and some more elaborate, but they'll all just CGI. Avatar's world is impressive indeed but I'm not really in awe.nothing, to me personally, nothing can compare to that first full dinosaur scene in Jurassic Park.

Go look around most entertainment sites that report on box office. The headlines on all of them are basically "Hobbit smashes December records" or something to that effect. Like I said, our perception of box office here is much different than the general public's.

Yeah, because mainstream media are retarded and don't know a thing about box office. They praise anything that opens at #1 regardless of gross. Oh, what a huge accomplishment, it beat the December record by 6 dollars with inflation, 3D, IMAX boosting the ticket prices. Studios need once and for all to release the admissions and we'd see that this OW was an embarrassment, not a a feat.
  • Like 2

I watched all three LOTR movies again this weekend after seeing Hobbit and anyone who says the FX in LOTR are better than what's on display in Hobbit seriously need to get their eyes checked.

Or in aDIM's case, he needs to take his homer glasses off. Edited by druv10

CGI is simply norm now; some lazier and some more elaborate, but they'll all just CGI. Avatar's world is impressive indeed but I'm not really in awe.nothing, to me personally, nothing can compare to that first full dinosaur scene in Jurassic Park.

I have said this before but i still think that the CGI in Terminator 2 and especially Jurassic Park is still some of the most 'real' looking CGI we have had and they were the first 2 films to use CGI 20 years ago!.

But at the end of the day, all studios care about is the money, so they don't give a shit.

Oh I can guarantee you that WB gives a shit. They've probably slashed profit forecasts for the film down 1-2 hundred million in the past 72 hours.

Or in aDIM's case, he needs to take his homer glasses off.

LOTR movies looked more real. TH looked like CGI, looked like a soundstage, the eagles appeared to be drawn into the picture, all this bad CGI was distracting and very noticeable. It took me out of the movie.

But at the end of the day, all studios care about is the money, so they don't give a shit.

No doubt. Clearly it underperformed from the forum's expectation including mine no denying that but it can still reach 1B WW so it's laughable to say it flopped like some are saying.
  • Like 1

LOTR movies looked more real. TH looked like CGI, looked like a soundstage, the eagles appeared to be drawn into the picture, all this bad CGI was distracting and very noticeable. It took me out of the movie.

I thought Hobbit had very good CGI compared OT. Orc's looked fake throughout the original trilogy but no one complained.

I think WB actualy do know Hobbit opened to low ends of their expectations / trackings.But what can you expect ? WB stands out and claims " Hobbit opens to low expactation" ?The thing is, every outlets just report " Hobbit breaks Dec OW reocord !" And you know why.

I predicted huge numbers for this overseas and while I am probably going to be wrong, I have no regrets about thinking that way. The potential was there

Sure, that's fine. But maybe you will think twice before you tell someone that disagrees with you that:A) their box office acumen should be questionedB) there is no way it finishes below a certain amount and anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot for thinking thatC) bring up different movies like MIB3 and TS3 to show how much their ovs box office increased, natually indicating that this film will too.Box office is volatile. As much as we all seem to think we know it all, we really don't know shit. TH proves that. You need to stop being a fucking douche to people just because they have a different opinion than you.
  • Like 3