Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

I find TDKR domestic performance disappointing and I have no problem admitting Hobbits performance is definitely a million times more disappointing

If compared to Avengers than yes but overall 450M can never really be disappointing. Hell, if that's disappointing than what the hell do you call Hobbit.
  • Like 1

TDKR surpassing TDK WW without the Joker immdiately rules it out as a disappointment.But The Hobbit should be doing better. Jackson's paying the price for his three-movie self-indulgence.

And the 48 fps thing. Seems that a lot of critics were unable to enjoy the movie itself because the presentation was so distracting, so they gave it a negative review. Then when enough negative reactions pile up before the film's release, it creates a lot of bad buzz. Granted, this should not have affected the opening which was disappointing in its own right.

If compared to Avengers than yes but overall 450M can never really be disappointing. Hell, if that's disappointing than what the hell do you call Hobbit.

I will always find TDKR domestic gross to be a bit disappointing and nothing anyone will say will convince me otherwise (notice I said domestic gross specificallly) but don't get me wrong Hobbit's gross is WAY more disappointing. Hell it is more than disappointing it is flat out bad
  • Like 1

I never understood people who said this. This isn't Potter or Star Wars we're talking about. The reason LOTR movies made so much money is because they were actually GOOD.

WB apparently bought the hype about LOTR's fanbase. Their marketing campaign was very lazy, like they expected a huge number of people to show up without heavily advertising the film. Looks like LOTR fanbase is more on par with Twilight and Potter than Star Wars. Hell, it might even be smaller than Potter and Twilight.

I will always find TDKR domestic gross to be a bit disappointing and nothing anyone will say will convince me otherwise (notice I said domestic gross specificallly) but don't get me wrong Hobbit's gross is WAY more disappointing. Hell it is more than disappointing it is flat out bad

I am also in the slightly disappointing territory. But its run was tainted by Aurora. I dont think it recovered in those markets at all. If you look at NYC and couple of other cities it actually did better compared to TDK.

And the 48 fps thing. Seems that a lot of critics were unable to enjoy the movie itself because the presentation was so distracting, so they gave it a negative review. Then when enough negative reactions pile up before the film's release, it creates a lot of bad buzz. Granted, this should not have affected the opening which was disappointing in its own right.

Thing I don't understand is, didn't Jackson screen test 48 FPS. If he did and most likely audiences didn't like it, why push it so hard. Edited by druv10

WB apparently bought the hype about LOTR's fanbase. Their marketing campaign was very lazy, like they expected a huge number of people to show up without heavily advertising the film. Looks like LOTR fanbase is more on par with Twilight and Potter than Star Wars. Hell, it might even be smaller than Potter and Twilight.

The marketing was lazy. Aimed 100% at the fanbase instead of the general public. You don't do the business The Lord of the Rings (or Harry Potter or Star Wars or Batman) did playing strictly to the devoted. I mean for Christ's sake, the dwarfs sing in the teaser trailer. Who does that appeal to?! They also fucked up not selling this as more than one film unlike LOTR where they did two trilogy trailers and then began the individual marketing campaign for Fellowship of the Ring. I guarantee most people had no clue this was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy.
  • Like 1

So we all agree Hobbit is the biggest 2012 disappointment ?

BY FAR. My top 3 would be

1) Hobbit

2) John Carter( Andrew stanton was coming on the back of 2 highly critically praised pixar flicks and so it was a huge disappointment to me)

3) This is a hard one but to me I would put Battleship. it hugely underperformed considering the genre.

Top 3 best runs

1) Avengers

2) Hunger Games

3) Skyfall.

• Like 1

BY FAR. My top 3 would be

1) Hobbit

2) John Carter( Andrew stanton was coming on the back of 2 highly critically praised pixar flicks and so it was a huge disappointment to me)

3) This is a hard one but to me I would put Battleship. it hugely underperformed considering the genre.

Top 3 best runs

1) Avengers

2) Hunger Games

3) Skyfall.

Good list. Battleship definitely deserves a high spot on the list. They spent over $200m making it and then advertised the hell out of it. I swear that film had more TV ads than Avengers or TDKR. But even that couldn't prevent the film from flopping hard. It was such a big flop that the G.I. Joe movie got moved only a month before its release because the studio saw the disastrous results with Battleship. Spend $300-350m making and marketing the thing and still end up with a huge flop. Scary thought for the studios.

Too much ego. Victim of his own success if you will.

What should have he done? Cancel 48fps and say "sorry, it was a mistake"? Be real.Someone believing in something is not ego. And they have already invested in it, they might as well show it. It's only in rather few theaters anyway.