Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

$1b i say.$200m for marketing? You nuts? $150m at the most.

$200M for distribution costs, absolutely (there is more spent to release a film than just marketing, you know). This is a major tentpole, and $200M for total distribution costs on major tentpoles is hardly out of the ordinary. It's more like $150M at the minimum. And I say this having some experience with these type of numbers.If you work for WB as an accountant for finance guy, then I'll defer to you...otherwise, I'm fairly positive I know better on this topic. Edited by kowhite

Have a hard time believing these films will be money losers

They won`t be but they aslo won`t be anywhere as profitable as LOTR even though I don`t believe in the myth that each was made for under $100 mio. Impossible for movies that had reshoots.

They won`t be but they aslo won`t be anywhere as profitable as LOTR even though I don`t believe in the myth that each was made for under $100 mio. Impossible for movies that had reshoots.

Agreed on all counts.Won't be as profitable for lots of reasons (though one of the biggest culprits for that will also be the decline of the home video market)...And yeah, I never bought those publically released production costs. I'd be more willing to believe Return of the King cost $200M than it costing $100M. Honestly, it probably did cost that much.

Agreed on all counts.Won't be as profitable for lots of reasons (though one of the biggest culprits for that will also be the decline of the home video market)...And yeah, I never bought those publically released production costs. I'd be more willing to believe Return of the King cost $200M than it costing $100M. Honestly, it probably did cost that much.

For sure. They kept old budget projections as offical numbers although reshoots had to add to that budget.

The box office gifts from Christmas Day moviegoing will be led by Universal's "Les Miserables," which is tracking to earn roughly $8 million on Tuesday, with three-day weekend expectations in the low teens. The film should hit $30 million-plus through New Year's Day.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118063946.html/?cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CLatestNews

People say P&A for Hobbit costed at most 150M have no idea how expensive Hollywood marketings are.$150M is the minimum requirement for an A-list (with PB over 150M) Hollywood blockbuster's global marketing and distribution. For DOM (America + Canada), $70M is the minimum; and you get another 100+ interntional markets to spend your distribution money. It is not as cheap as some guys might think, at all.

• Like 1

TDKR was an absolute abomination compared to TDK and it was mostly due to Heath Ledger.. Hardy and his BANE character sounded stupid, like a drunken Sean Connery is the best description.. The HOBBIT should've just been 1 movie 2.5 to 3 hours in length wrapping the whole damn thing up in 1 movie and moviegoers would've been much happier with this than this 3 movie cash grab$$$$$$.. I can't imagine the Dragon Smaug is going to look any better than DRAGONSLAYER from back in the 80's which is as good as it gets..

I don't follow this line of reasoning. At this point, why would the audience care that it's three movies as opposed to one and why would that affect box office results?