CJohn

Christmas Day Numbers | Les Miserables: 18.1M | DU: 15M | The Hobbit: 11.3M | PG: 6.5M

His reaction to them pulling up on horses, his face, his voice, his "What the fuck is this muthafucka doin here..." and all that jazz was hysterical. Even when Monsieur (Oh he doesn't speak French :rofl: ) Candie tells his to calm down and so on and he is still so incredulous over these two showing up, I thought I was going to bust a gut. Jackson is the highlight of Django for me. And I loved Leo and Christoph and Goggins and even Foxx. But he just steals the show.

Or him agreeing with everything Candie says.
  • Like 2

There would be no controversy if QT didn't OD on it in "Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction" in the past. He's the one to blame for his constant usage of the word. There have been plenty of Slave movies that didn't feel the need to overdo it with the word. This is about portraying slave owners accurate, it's about QT's obsession with word. At times in the movie it was clear he was just using to use it. 109 Times was way overboard and wasn't even necessary.

I seriously think the African American community would enjoy this movie. Jamie Foxx doesn't quite pull off a "Ray", but he is great.QT uses the word in context always. Jackie Brown was a blaxploitation movie so...

There would be no controversy if QT didn't OD on it in "Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction" in the past. He's the one to blame for his constant usage of the word. There have been plenty of Slave movies that didn't feel the need to overdo it with the word. This isn't about portraying slave owners accurate, it's about QT's obsession with word. At times in the movie it was clear he was just using to use it. 109 Times was way overboard and wasn't even necessary.

Disagree. I realize you are black so you may have a sensitivity to it that I don't....but I hate the word and I think it is a disgusting thing to say to anyone. But when it was used in here, it didn't seem out of place. Every person who said it said in context so I see no reason for the complaints.

You know I never understood why some people keep a count of how many swear words are in a movie. Like there's people that keep tallies on how many times the word fuck is said in certain films.

Again QT is the one that made it a point to overdo it with the "N-word" in other films. Imagine this was the 1st movie he ever used the word, it might be a different reaction. But since he's done it so much in the past of course people are going to criticize him for doing it here even more than he's every done it. I'm not the PC police and I understand it was used during Slave times through the Civil Rights movement heavily. Shoot, I was born in 1980 and I've been called it by a white person when I was going to college in the South so the word has never left. But watching the movie it felt he was using the word to get laughs which is why I felt he overdid it. But outside of some typical cartoonish scene's I was fine with the movie but I could understand someone not liking it.
  • Like 1

I seriously think the African American community would enjoy this movie. Jamie Foxx doesn't quite pull off a "Ray", but he is great.QT uses the word in context always. Jackie Brown was a blaxploitation movie so...

I saw it with some of my White and black Friends, we weren't offended, I understand it's just a movie with "Slavery" as the backdrop but at times the humor was there and Sam went full on Uncle Tom had the theater cracking up. It was an interesting way to view the slave times but I do feel again he was using the word for laughs that would be my only criticism. I tried to just look at it more as a western/blaxpolatation movie that happens to take place during Slavery cause sometimes it was very serious then it turned to "Blazing Saddles", lol.

There would be no controversy if QT didn't OD on it in "Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction" in the past. He's the one to blame for his constant usage of the word. There have been plenty of Slave movies that didn't feel the need to overdo it with the word. This isn't about portraying slave owners accurate, it's about QT's obsession with word. At times in the movie it was clear he was just using to use it. 109 Times was way overboard and wasn't even necessary.

What slave movies? For some reason hardly any of them are worth remembering.

Disagree. I realize you are black so you may have a sensitivity to it that I don't....but I hate the word and I think it is a disgusting thing to say to anyone. But when it was used in here, it didn't seem out of place. Every person who said it said in context so I see no reason for the complaints.

Like I said, It's slave times so I know the word was going to be used but there was times clearly he was just using it to use it, maybe get a laugh from it that's why I felt he overdid it. But that's me. Movie was entertaining though. Sadly from a Western point of view Blacks are rarely portrayed as the heroes that win the day. I think "Posse" was the last black Cowboy movie which was released in the 90's. So I do commend QT for making that a point to show the heroic side cause Slavery sadly we didn't get that happy ending in "Django" in real life.
  • Like 1

What slave movies? For some reason hardly any of them are worth remembering.

Well there was "Amistad" and SS kept the word low. "Roots" had it a lot but that was a miniseries that spanned over 20 hours. "Cloud Atlas" one of the stories had a slavery theme but the word wasn't used but a few times. There was Oprah's "Beloved". It's funny thinking about it, America hasn't really touched Black Slavery in Film as much as they have the Holocaust. Again I don't know what the right number of times would of been but watching it I just felt after awhile again it came off as "Ok, let's just say it again". There is another Slave movie coming out next year with Fassbenger and Brad Pitt so we will see how it's handled in that one. My only point is if QT didn't have the issues in the other films, I don't think this film would of been as big of a controversy.

Well there was "Amistad" and SS kept the word low. "Roots" had it a lot but that was a miniseries that spanned over 20 hours. "Cloud Atlas" one of the stories had a slavery theme but the word wasn't used but a few times. There was Oprah's "Beloved". It's funny thinking about it, America hasn't really touched Black Slavery in Film as much as they have the Holocaust. Again I don't know what the right number of times would of been but watching it I just felt after awhile again it came off as "Ok, let's just say it again". There is another Slave movie coming out next year with Fassbenger and Brad Pitt so we will see how it's handled in that one. My only point is if QT didn't have the issues in the other films, I don't think this film would of been as big of a controversy.

It's funny you mention Roots. I was watching Roots the other day and I'm willing to bet they use the N-word almost as many times per minute as QT does in Django.But I feel any slave movie that encourages discussion is better than those that don't. Amistad was incredibly weak and hardly anyone watched Beloved.