Ezen Baklattan

CAYOM VI - Discussion Thread

It isn't like this at all. I might be thinking of cutting the rating back to PG-13 when I finish writing the film. Also the film's plot is start forward and no where as confusing as Cloud Atlas. The subject matter is far more appealing than Cloud Atlas. Also I am going to crop down the running time a little bit. Plus the theater count, star power, approperate material, and lack of competition will make it do more than 15M opening weekend.I am expecting a Friday Night Lights (I think Society and this film are the best comparsion) run according to inflation. 25M/75M. I would be very happy though if this could crack 100M.

It's not. It won't even crack $50M. I'm really confused about the film. Is it about the teenagers? The sci-fi? The story arc? I don't know which.So yeah, $40M final finish.

It's not. It won't even crack $50M. I'm really confused about the film. Is it about the teenagers? The sci-fi? The story arc? I don't know which.So yeah, $40M final finish.

Just because your confused doesn't mean everybody else is. Also stop treating your predictions like fact. Wait till the actual film is out and then make a judgement. Never in CAYOM has a film not done well because of a confusing pre-production. Where have you been? Did you read the interview or posts in the Magazine thread? The film is obviously about teenagers and NOT sci-fi at all....where the fuck you got that from is hard for me to imagine. The only two films I can clearly compare Society too are Friday Night Lights and The Social Network. Both dealing with young adults in 21st century society and being released the first weekend of October.
  • Like 1

So

A girl looking in the mirror topless would be fine. I mean the scene lasts for only a few seconds and the point of it is non-sexual.Also a sex scene is fine as along as no sexual parts are shown right?

99% of the time, female toplessness = R-rating. Titanic was the incredibly rare exception.Showing someone's bare butt a few times is fine with PG-13.

Where have you been? Did you read the interview or posts in the Magazine thread? The film is obviously about teenagers and NOT sci-fi at all....where the fuck you got that from is hard for me to imagine. The only two films I can clearly compare Society too are Friday Night Lights and The Social Network. Both dealing with young adults in 21st century society and being released the first weekend of October.

Those were rare successes. This is a question mark.

Those were rare successes. This is a question mark.

Let the film be released first and read it...then make a judgement. Remember just because you don't like it doesn't mean it will fail. Also isn't every film a question mark before it is released? Hunger Games was, Social Network was, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was, Avatar was, and even the might Avengers was. Nothing is 100% guaranteed in the box office. Edited by Andrew the Alien
  • Like 3

Well from what I've read I don't like it,

That is fine...let's hope I can make you like it with the final project :)Bias should stay out of predictions though.Also message me and tell me what you don't like? Let me know what you think the film is about that way I can clear any confusion. Edited by Andrew the Alien

I have one complaint, though I think it's an integral part of the movie.It's the whole kids-these-days pessimist attitude towards today's children. It feels like that was its only purpose. To hate on teenagers. Also, it gives off a Jersey Shore vibe (even if there is only one partying scene. One character is pregnant. In high school. Two characters have sex for fun (from the interview). In high school. It just feels so agrivating. So disgustingly insulting to our kind.Really, the film is so good at what it's trying to capture, I despise it ;).

To give Andrew some more insight, PG-13 regarding actual sexual activity is similar to the what can be shown on nightime network dramas (depending on the network's standards & practices department of course). For example if the two participants are clothed and shot above the waist, you can show grinding, thrusting, etc.

I have one complaint, though I think it's an integral part of the movie.

It's the whole kids-these-days pessimist attitude towards today's children. It feels like that was its only purpose. To hate on teenagers. Also, it gives off a Jersey Shore vibe (even if there is only one partying scene. One character is pregnant. In high school. Two characters have sex for fun (from the interview). In high school. It just feels so agrivating. So disgustingly insulting to our kind.

Really, the film is so good at what it's trying to capture, I despise it ;).

I hear you. I have never seen Jersey Shore and not planning to haha

The film is highly based off from my experience of what I have seen in fellow peers, myself, and friends. Each character is roughly based off a person I know in real life...some characters have struggles that I myself went through. It is a deeply personal film.

The film isn't a rip on teens. The film isn't meant to sugar coat teenagers lives. Bad things happen and the film isn't all about the bad things or the mistakes being made..it is about how you can rise above those mistakes or outside of your control influences (bullying, parents, religion). If the film is critical of anything it would be religion mostly Roman Catholicism and its view on youth in American especially sexuality and teen pregnancy.

Also several things make this different than Cloud Atlas.

Society: Relevant topic (mainstream), not confusing premise, relatable to people in some way or another, Oscar winning director, strong well liked cast, low budget, PG-13 rating, strong theater count, musical, good release date, and little competition.

Cloud Atlas: Confusing premise, R rating, high budget, sci-fi concept, long running time, low theater count, a cast that doesn't have any power anymore, not mainstream topic, and competition.

Remember these teens aren't 13-16 immature bratty teens. We are talking about 17-19 year olds in the film. They are adults technically and are coming into adulthood. One could argue the film is a coming of age story for kids in the transition between high school and college, which is a bigger jump than most people think.